It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Statue few know about

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+40 more 
posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I was sent an email regarding this statue. here is the skinny.

"Subject: THE STATUE
DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS IS? WHERE THIS IS?

THE STATUE

This statue currently stands outside the Iraqi palace, Now home to the 4th Infantry division.

It will eventually be shipped home and put in the memorial museum at Fort Hood, TX

The statue was created by an Iraqi artist named Kalat, who for years was forced by Saddam Hussein to make the many hundreds of bronze busts of Saddam that dotted Baghdad ..

Kalat was so grateful for the Americans liberation of his country;
He melted 3 of the heads of the fallen Saddam and made the statue as a memorial to the American soldiers
and their fallen warriors.

Kalat worked on this memorial night and day for several months.

To the left of the kneeling soldier is a small Iraqi girl giving the soldier comfort as he mourns the
loss of his comrade in arms.

Do you know why we don't hear about this in the news?

Because it is heart warming and
praise worthy..

The media avoids it because it does not have the shock effect."

Thought this was somewhat interesting.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Now imagine if the media found out that the man who made the statue raped a woman when he was younger, or maybe they found a picture of him in the backround of an American flag burning during the Saddam reign. Then, I bet, this would statue be on every network.

All they want is controversy.

[edit on 15-11-2008 by Andre Neves]

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Did he? or is this a hypothetical on what is newsworthy? I would hope the later.
Peace

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by imd12c4funn
Did he? or is this a hypothetical on what is newsworthy? I would hope the later.
Peace

hypothetical, sorry.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
That statue and story is the essence of human.

Taking something that represented bad and turning it into a good thing.

Great Post. Thanks for sharing.

Sad the MSM wont cover stories like this.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Snopes dot com

The core of the story is good enough, without dishonest embellishment.

The sculpture pictured above is real, and it was indeed crafted by an Iraqi sculptor from bronze recovered by melting down statues of former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein, but the accompanying explanatory text is quite misleading...

Personally, I'd like the statue better without the little girl, but that's just my taste. It's a nice design, though.

][edit: you did mention the source, my bad]

[edit on 15-11-2008 by Vault-D]

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by imd12c4funn

The statue was created by an Iraqi artist named Kalat, who for years was forced by Saddam Hussein to make the many hundreds of bronze busts of Saddam that dotted Baghdad ..

Kalat was so grateful for the Americans liberation of his country;
He melted 3 of the heads of the fallen Saddam and made the statue as a memorial to the American soldiers
and their fallen warriors.

Kalat worked on this memorial night and day for several months.

To the left of the kneeling soldier is a small Iraqi girl giving the soldier comfort as he mourns the
loss of his comrade in arms.

Do you know why we don't hear about this in the news?

Because it is heart warming and
praise worthy..

The media avoids it because it does not have the shock effect."

Maybe Kelat should sculpt a statue of Rumsfield shaking hands with Saddam. That would have been the time when the US delivered WMD's and precursors to Saddam. These same weapons were used on his own people. And the US was his best buddy -- before and after.

Tell you what -- why don't we send him this link for a better visual:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by anonymousATS

Ah who cares about who was friends with Saddam, sent him weapons, propped him up, helped him kill, maybe even faked his death.

Where does William Ayers play into all this?

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Star and flag. This is an excellent example of media missing the point. Love the statue and the little girl. Wish more Iraqis were so thoughtful.

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Star and flag. This is an excellent example of media missing the point. Love the statue and the little girl. Wish more Iraqis were so thoughtful.

Actually, it's an excellent example of a chain email distorting the facts and inventing a narrative. As I said above, check out Snopes for a sourced explanation. But hey, people can star and flag and believe whatever they want.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Nice homage to what our American Soldiers, British Soldiers, many nations involved, in fact, are all about. Yes it has been missed in the media..
Flagged and Kudos

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I like that in the face of debate that this man is just depressed.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Unfortunately this statue will be disregarded as Bush Administration propaganda by most. It's very hard to see the good when all you look for is the bad. If we would have not gone into Iraq, the same people would be blaming Bush for not acting sooner and letting a million more Iraqi's die. The troops don't want to leave until their finished, so their children don't have to come back under these circumstances and give their lives. If you guys think we created a vacuum when we went in, wait till we leave.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
You got it in an email... That's all anyone with half a brain cell needs to read to realise this story most likely total BS.

Obviously the statue is real, but it's FAR more likely that the artist was never FORCED to do anything by saddam in the past. Just typical war time propaganda eaten up by those with an extremely low IQ.

The artist was obviously paid to do it. Despite what you guys like to convince yourselves, they nor any of your previous victims, aren't pleased you invaded them but will still work to make a living.

The busts were most likely STOLEN from the iraqi people by the military and given to the artist to work with. So in the end, this statue is a smack to their faces and I wouldn't be surprised if the statue is removed from the Country soon if it hasn't been already. Because once you're out, everything you leave behind will be destroyed.

Do you people truly believe you're good people? How you can constantly sit back and murder innocent people for resources and convince yourselves you're helping them while doing it is mind-boggling.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Actually, it's an excellent example of a chain email distorting the facts and inventing a narrative. As I said above, check out Snopes for a sourced explanation. But hey, people can star and flag and believe whatever they want.

I think the real conspiracy is that people don't actually read replies to threads.... like probably this one or the person I quoted...

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I'm glad to see something positive about what we have done over there. Thanks for the thread.

EDIT: Snopes. Damn reality.

[edit on 11/15/2008 by prototism]

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
This speaks volumes on how we should never stereotype a nation based on the actions of a few. Sadly I agree that if this artist had ever done an ounce of evil in his life we would have renounced him as even being part of the human race after the media was done with thier circus act.

As far as Saddams death being faked,... DUH! I saw him and bin Laden fishing together off the coast of Florida a few days ago.
JK

Great find with the pic. TYVM.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Did the people that posted on this thread saw this statue for the first time in the opening post?

If they did then I guess that few really know about it, although it has some years and was somewhat talked about at the time.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Wow this is really touching. I hope more people get to see it, and realize that just maybe something positive can happen in the sandbox. When my buddies get back they always have a few heartwarming stories that I wish I could share with more people. Great post.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Vault-D

Thanks for the input and snopes link.

I see that although the MSM hasn't published much, the story has changed to what I received.

Appreciate that you had the real scoop. Thanks.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join