It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SC Priests: No communion for Obama Supporters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   

A South Carolina Roman Catholic priest has told his parishioners that they should refrain from receiving Holy Communion if they voted for Barack Obama because the Democratic president-elect supports abortion, and supporting him "constitutes material cooperation with intrinsic evil."

The Rev. Jay Scott Newman said in a letter distributed Sunday to parishioners at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Greenville that they are putting their souls at risk if they take Holy Communion before doing penance for their vote.

www.breitbart.com...

I think it is horrible that this is going on and I do not see how anyone can claim it is justifiable.

Thoughts?

Jemison

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison
I think it is horrible that this is going on and I do not see how anyone can claim it is justifiable.

The Catholic Church has a right to withhold communion from whatever parishioners do not follow the rules. Helping a pro-abortion politician is against the rules.

Those in the Church know this and they have a right to leave and to receive communion elsewhere. They know where the door with the exit sign is.

The Catholic Church is not telling people they can't worship in the church.

They are telling those people that they are OUTSIDE OF COMMUNION with the church - through their own actions.

Communion = in agreement with.

Frankly - if someone wants to vote for a pro-abortion politician then they aren't in communion with the church and they know it so it should come as no surprise and no big deal to them to be told they can't receive communion in the Catholic Church.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Don't you think politics should stay out of the pulpit?

I'm not a fan of Obama's but I certainly don't think the church has the right to deny me communion if I was an Obama supporter.

Jemison

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
People don't mess around when it comes to their religion here in SC. I am not Catholic so this seems silly and over the top to me. I tend to find it humorous.
My first thought is why wouldn't the people just lie? Oops.

I'm so over this election and anything and everything to do with it.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
This is old news as it has been out there for quite some time. Nothing that says they have to give Communion to someone like them.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison
I certainly don't think the church has the right to deny me communion if I was an Obama supporter.

Of course it has a right.

The Catholic Church has a right to decide it's own rules.
It's THEIR church. They can do what they want.

People in the church know the rules and they know why the rules are there. If they dont obey the rules then they obviously disagree with church teaching. They are outside of communion with the church - by their own behavior and through their own wishes.

Those that disagree with the church know where the exit door is.

Again -

The Church didn't say the people can't worship with them.

It said that those who support abortion/abortionists have put themselves outside of communion with the church and therefore can't receive.

If someone disagrees with the church, then they wouldn't want to receive communion in the church anyways. It would be hypocritical of them.

top topics

join