Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

no self

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I'm christian; always have been. I'm not buddhist.

I always thought buddha's "no self" just meant selflessness, an attitude; i.e. not selfish. I also thought Jesus' "deny thyself" was the same thing.

It isn't.

Eckhart Tolle was the closest, "you're not your mind/ego." But it goes much deeper than that. I experienced it for a second.

This is what happened.

I was waiting for my turn at one of those things I go to. I decided to meditate; rested my head against the wall so I would look like I was just napping.

After about 2 hours, it happened. "I" was gone. The mind was gone. "I" did not exist. It wasn't even quiet, the place was still noisy in fact. But that was just it. All that was left was awareness.

It lasted for just a moment. I don't know if there are deeper levels to it. There was auditory awareness. I could see black but I had the feeling I was slowly rotating in that blackness. The start of 360 degree awareness?

Anyway, the mind rushed back in to analyze it. And it was over.

"No self" is an altered state of consciousness.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   
sounds like some sort of pure conscious event. My question though, and I'm sure it maybe hard to put in words, but - did you feel you reduced your thinking, or heightened it from concentration?

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I was visualizing the solar system one time, I had a very brief moment of utter astonishment and sense of place. 1 1/2 seconds long I believe. I could not recollect what occurred or how, it just happened. I tried visualizing again many times over to no avail. A glimpse of total consciousness?

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I've spent almost too long in these "no self" states of consciousness.

My first experience was while meditating... I was in "no self" for what seemed like an eternity but I think it was only 10 minutes or something. I actually became aware of the ALL, and I saw its patterns, and I saw what timespace looked like from above, and I was just flying through all these dimensions... but it wasn't me. It was the Everything. It was a sort of a state of no-self.

I've had a few of those during meditations since then.... but a while after I experimented in some chemically induced altered states, and had found that while everybody else was seeing dancing pink flamingos and Incan temples, I wasn't hallucinating at all. I was in myself with no major visual effects, but I also wasn't myself. I was simply a reference point in a much larger crystalline pattern that ecompassed everything......

Ever since these events.... I've been able to feel all the energy of the universe converging on me at once and flowing through me constantly.

I feel like a helpless messiah sometimes. Like.... "yeah yeah I'm the one, God. I know. But problem is, God.... I just like beer too much."

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Seriously though... be careful you don't spoil the point of the game with altered states of consciousness. Sometimes, even meditation can take you to places that you aren't ready. The no-self thing really #ed with me for a while.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by juveous

it was a state of non-thought; it was like a "disembodied/dis-self-ed" awareness but I could hear what was going on.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I have experienced what your are describing many times through deeper sessions of meditation. It is an incredibly profound life-changing experience.

No-Self can be thought to be synonymous with All-Self. Awareness is Consciousness, Consciousness is Awareness. The Self acts as a filter to Consciousness. When the Awareness of 'Self' is eliminated, you are left with the Consciousness itself, therefore you are simply Aware.

It's Self-death. That's why it only lasts a moment when it first happens. You are killing your 'Self'. This is terrifying to the Mind, as your Consciousness is not use to experiencing this unfiltered Awareness. In fact, the purpose of the Mind (Self) to begin with is to filter an acceptable level of Awareness for your Consciousness. Just takes practice, and it will last longer. Mediate often

[edit on 15-11-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 05:58 AM
link   
no-self / no-mind / consciousness-is-all-there-is is a very enlightening experience, I agree.

What I do disagree with is how some "experiencers"/meditators have taken this to mean that the state of self/mind is therefore somehow "bad" or needs to be "overcome". Instead, consider that they are simply two states: One identified/focused in detail and one de-identified/one-with-all.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I personally think it works like this:

All stages of awareness are Consciousness. Or, Consciousness contains varying levels of awareness. The Self (Mind) is what determines this. It controls that flow. It determines how much awareness your Consciousness can experience. Thus is really acts as a filter, a limiter.

It's not that the Self is bad or wrong in anyway though! It's good! Because it controls what you can handle! If we didn't have the Self acting as that intermediary we would be overwhelmed by awareness. But this doesn't change that Ones goal is to reach full awareness i.e pure Consciousness.

This is my personal take, based on my personal experience and reasoning.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

That sounds like a healthy approach toward the issue (as opposed to people overloading their system and then spending the rest of their life as a vegetable in some monastery
)

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   

This thread makes me smile.

Congratulations.
It may be that you have just managed to get a glimpse of Samadhi though only you can determine the truth of that.

Pay attention to Dunwichwitch and Lord Lunacy however.
You can easily get in trouble running after that particular goal.

It's quite easy to discover that other peoples reality can be a bit of a mess and some of the folk chasing after psychic perceptual phenomena do not understand the truth behind the old adage 'be careful what you wish for'.

Kudos.
Absence.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by juveous

this is how best I can describe the feeling. It didn't feel like I was expanding. I felt like I lost/sucked something up (self), it felt like I disappeared, deflated, collapsed, imploded. Its like I was emptied, in the sense that after the experience, self/mind rushed back in from all around the side of the "point" of awareness to fill/flood it.

Its funny but I get the impression the "point" of awareness had a rather elongated, almost cylindrical, shape now that I think about it

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by reject

it's hard to describe - that's for sure

until you experience it for yourself - very hard to imagine

I like how excited you are :-)

it's almost like discovering you have a new sense

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Interesting thread. You might be intersted in the subject matter of my thread also, dont know if this adds fuel to the fire:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 15-11-2008 by MCoG1980]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I once experienced total blackness that I was a part of it was me and I was it and it went on forever that was all there was it was like the ultimate void and it was fine til I 'realised' this, then 'fear' kicked in and it went all nastly hehehehehe.
Not sure its exactly what your on about but it was the odd.....I was me but with no body but I wasnt outside of my body I was inside of my body.....like a reversed OBE or astral travel thing....was mad!

new topics

top topics

join