It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think missionaries should be outlawed

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Good Wolf
It's a sad reality. Indoctrination is a disease of humanity.

How can we ever be sure we are not indoctrinating our children?

Mine all have open minds. Have I indoctrinated that into them?
It's a big responsibility, trying to do your best by your own children.

Often the kids can teach the parents as much as the parents can teach the kids, it the adults will listen.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

You ask about medical missions. Recently, we discovered that the sponsoring mission was arranging the waiting poor, medically underserved people, who had waited for hours, by their willingness to take the pledge. The deal was this: convert now and "accept Jesus as your savior" and you get to go to the front of the line. Everyone else waits. We never found out what those scumbag holy rollers were doing. The medical team was made up of Catholics, Jews, Presbyterians, Lutherans, and Baptists. There may have been a Mormon, too. None of us knew until it was too late. Those poor souls. Missionaries like that should burn in Hell.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by drevill
who would be you trading partners if many of these countries hadn't been part of a missionary?

would you remove then the missionary and the organisation from relief and aid work now?
david

Great post. You illustrate an important point.

I've believed for a long time missionaries are a thinly disguised arm of the government,
sent in to soften up the people so they can then be robbed of their resources without a fight.

It's a way of neutering the leadership and bringing in "spear control."

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

I love the idea of Tribal beliefs, and I think they know more about the world than any (modern) religious people I have met or seen or heard of.

I for one cannot stand the fact that my own parents, who attempted to inscribe ideas of catholocism into my brain, actually believe that they believe.. I could rant about this for days but i won't force you to stand my horrible grammar and dyslexia. =P

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Who do you think is taking care of the people NO one else will take care of? My mother was just in Africa living with no electricity to take care of and teach little kids many of them orphaned by AIDS. One day soon Africa might be sending missionaries to the USA the way things are heading.

HIV/AIDS is ravaging Sub-Saharan Africa, leaving millions dead and many more orphaned. Urbana 06 has a special track devoted to tackling this problem. Visit www.urbana.org for more information.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

Very sad video.

I don't know if this is what you were espousing but the testimony of those people REALLY highlights how desperatly they need condemns and contraceptives, even if they aren't 100% effective they are a start.

As was said earlier, it is darned close to murder to get in the way of that.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Personally i like mormon missionaries, they'll do th washing up and hoovering while you pretend to read their books.

I once had a couple of them sweep up the backgarden and fix my car while I put my feet up with the kids.

Recommend them to anyone, billiant keep it up mormons

Jehovas are a differnet kettle of fish though, they won't even put the kettle on unless you tell them to, so you have to play crafty with them. hang on till you can see that they think your really interested 2 visits should do it.
Then get into some tough theological debate but pretend to be ignorant, at this point they'll decide to bring an oldie fodie elder along the next time.
You've about got them now, when they arrive be up to your neck in things to do, so tell them to go and do the washing up or something while you get educated by the elder.
Jehovas ar ok for a couple of visits and some light cleaning, but if it's long term hard labour your after, the moneys most definately on the mormons.

Heaven is a couple of mormons and a Kirby salesman in your house at the same time, ok your neighbours will think your a bit odd for a day or two. But when your wife shows them what you've done with the house while she's out whoa ! Sex for the rest of the month !

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Can be the first to say I'd like to see all religions outlawed?
Cool.
I'd like to see all religions outlawed.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

I have to say that if I have to group by religions, Mormons are some of the nicest and kindest people I've met.

They seem to be really good about taking personal satisfaction with their beliefs without insisting that theirs were the only right path.

The "Missionaries" who came to my door never tried to debate me and have always been respectful when I said I wasn't interested.

Easter Orthodox Catholics are a close second.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
The greatest, or close enough, gift Disclosure/Contact can give to us would be to take the wind out of the sails of the door-to-door proselytizers. What's considered freedom of speech now will be regarded as soul assault or bullying in an enlightened enough paradigm. No more knocking on my door when I'm enjoying my day off. Personal beliefs, while enjoying freedom of religion as today, will or would be kept strictly personal. Certainly enough scientific evidence will (eventually) deflate the impulse to grinningly tell strangers about whom he or she has accepted as his or her personal savior. Heck, right here in the world as we know it, when such exceedingly different-from-me people approach me, I consider it soul assault, and I get away from them as quickly as possible. Imagine how those lunatics would come off in a world with enough knowledge and love.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by flyingwoody
They show up and spread disease...

Instead of addressing everything, I'd like to focus on that statement. You might not be aware of what missionary work entails if you honestly believe such a thing. Contrary to the ignorant statement quoted above, missionary work consists of much more than simple Bible thumping. One of the main things included in missionary work is the treatment of the ill. They bring medical care to people incapable of caring for themselves, those without access to medical supplies, those without sanitary conditions, etc. Missionary work has saved countless lives and improved the quality of life for many.

In history when even missionaries didn't have access to such things (due mainly to their non existence), it is true disease was spread by them. However, modern missionaries no longer carry those risks to the previous extent. Their presence has a positive impact today, in terms of health assistance and disease treatment.

Of course, we'll be happy to step aside if some atheist organizations would like to take over for a while. Do they spread diseases, too? Were you wanting to stop all humanitarian efforts due to your concerns? Are western humanitarian efforts even in a secular sense not 'destroying culture' by imposing our way of life into other countries? Or is it just the spread of Christianity that concerns you? Some consider that a disease in itself.

Originally posted by cruzion
I'd like to see all religions outlawed.

That's your right. However, my wish is to see people be free to worship as they choose without fear of reprisal by their governments. Maybe you're the type who likes handing over as much power to the government as possible but that's not for me.

[edit on 11/15/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Lightworth

I doubt it will ever happen.

Remember Dave Rabit's thread? Religion is humanity's security blanket. Plus it plays perfectly into the human ego to beleive that one system is more right than another.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I'm glad you and Bigwhammy have showed up because it's about time we have the other side of the coin represented here.

I want to point out this list of non-Christian charities (some of which might have had faithful beginnings, I think, but currently opparate secularly)

I am sure there are more that do not opperate overseas, I know of several in my hometown.

Keep in mind the difference of funding here. Christian charities have a significantly larger budget because of that tithing caveat, and can also apply for government breaks. Two things which I think hold back secular charities.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Yeah Ash, this sounds like a secularist plot to depopulate the planet. Following the edicts of the Georgia guide stones, They know by outlawing missionaries millions more will die - which I guess is the OP's modus operandi. Just another NWO propaganda thread, moving us toward the Antichrist system and the ATS sheeple are all in favor. The blind leading the blind, and they actually think that they are "conspiracy" buffs.

[edit on 11/15/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Hey, the more the merrier I say. Those people need help. Many live in horrid conditions, are starving, and, literally, get eaten alive from the inside out by worms and rot away from malnutrition. They need all the help they can get.

Anyways, that's beside the point. The OP's point is it 'spreads disease' and 'destroys culture.' So it makes me wonder if missionary work is where his problems truly rests. Secular humanitarians are incapable of carrying diseases overseas? Secular humanitarians don't 'destroy cultures' by westernizing the areas they deliver aid to?

Of course, I believe in helping these people- the organization is not the issue. It's the veiled reasons the OP puts forth yet they aren't exclusive to missionaries. To prevent his provided problems, that is humanitarian aid as a whole- not just missionaries.

Or perhaps for the sake of stopping the spread of disease and destroying cultures we should stop world wide travel? People moving from country to country? Outlawing influxes of refugees into haven countries? We don't want to destroy anyone's cultures through such means. Not to mention those pesky diseases.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by flyingwoody

If you and I and everyone could dissappear as quick as my brother does whenever the missionaries show up, they wouldn't have anyone to preach to.

Faster than a speeding bullet he is.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

My favorite is hearing the constant talk about freedom, liberty, small government, and the rights of the people only to hear the same people claim to support the ban of religion and religious freedom. Reminds me of the hypocritical type who gets onto their soap box about the freedom of speech yet tells anyone with an opposing opinion to hush. It's actually humorous at this point.

I'm sure the NWO would love to outlaw missionary work. Nothing warns against the NWO like the Bible. Not to mention, like you stated, missionary work kind of goes against their whole population limit plot with the amount of lives it saves.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I think outlaws should be forcibly indoctrinated into one of several religious belief systems

[edit on 16-11-2008 by Resinveins]

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by flyingwoody
Think about it, missionaries have been one of the biggest causes of loss of culture throughout history. Native Americans, Easter Island, etc etc.

They show up and spread disease and then try and demolish the native's belief structures and implant their own "acceptable" religion.

Also, they go and try to shove American culture into the lands. Unfortunately it isn't just missionaries who do this. Just because Americans think something is a necessity and people need to live a certain way doesn't mean other parts of the world do.

Oh yes, Missionaries just intentionally go about spreading diseases and annihilating entire civilizations. What a RIDICULOUS Concept. Such a premise might have been relevant in the days of Forced Conversions through Torture and Imprisonment, however, such issues are now within the extreme minority.

If it were not for the Missionaries and their spreading of Religious Values, how would any of the World's Major Religions have ever taken hold? Would you rather have us still sacrificing Infants and Women on altars? How about the Cutting of Slaves Hearts out, and their Beheading, by the Thousands? If it were not for these "Missionaries" that you seem to despise, we would still be stuck in such a mindset.

As for the Americans, you forget that "Americans" consist of EVERY Nationality, Ethnicity, Race, Religion, and so forth. Some of the biggest proponents of spreading American influence are the individuals who have come from these other nations, and they wish for EVERYONE to recognize the American Dream. The Proudest Americans I have ever known, happen to be Fresh Immigrants, for they realize how truly great this Nation is.

Think about it in that light for a moment.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join