It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think missionaries should be outlawed

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by flyingwoody
Also, they go and try to shove American culture into the lands. Unfortunately it isn't just missionaries who do this. Just because Americans think something is a necessity and people need to live a certain way doesn't mean other parts of the world do.

I enjoyed your post up until that point. I understand we have many missionaries, but the only reason it looks bigger than any other country is because of our population of Religious people. We were not the first ones to do mission work, and other countries still do it. I don't think you should be blaming America.

Though I agree with your opinion about mission work or missionaries, etc.

[edit on 11/15/08 by panda319]

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Missionaries come in many forms, from many places. Those that attempt to replace religion with science are as much of a missionary as anyone.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

Oh, yeah, I'll tell you what I know of missionary work. A friend of mine went to Niger ten years ago, with a REAL humanitarian convoy, and they distributed condoms to the locals to prevent the AIDS outbreak the surrounding countries were undergoing. In case you don't know, back then, Niger was a very christian country.

My friend had been there for two weeks, touring villages, giving out the rubbers, holding conferences and informing people about the danger. One morning, this old touareg came to see them, and said : "Who are these two guys who follow you around ? They come to every village you've visted a few days later."

Turned out two rats from the vatican, missionaries as they like to call themselves, had been telling everyone these humanitarians had visited what God thought about condoms. It was ok to use them AS LONG AS THEY CUT THE END OFF THEM, so as not to "spill semen". That's what I know of missionaries.

On a side note, when the humanitarians explained things out to the touaregs, those guys got so mad that they went after the two bastards who were murdering in the name of god, and I can assure you that when they found them, no "god of love" came to their help.

Thats what I think of missonaries. It's more efficient than banning them, too.

[edit on 15-11-2008 by Ismail]

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Ismail

Oh that is disgusting.

It's one thing to preach abstinence, but that is just... I don't think it would be to harsh to call it indirect murder.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Some people will do some abhorrent things in the name of their God.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   

It is indirect murder. Similar things are still hapening over there, so my friends nigerien ties told him. I have a big problem with people who put the soul above the body. Because that means it's ok to let them die. Not very "humanitarian", really.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Good Wolf

Glad you noticed.

"In the name of God" shoudln't get them off the hook when it comes to facing earthly laws.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Ismail

Many--but by no means all--Christians and I'm sure others of the Big 3 seem to be completely preoccupied with what happens after you die--or before you are born, for some of them.

These people insist that God gave us free will to follow him but allow no room for actually excercising that gift.

They insist that Jeus came to free us from "The Law" but lay down just as many rules as in the OT.

Above all it's that dogged insistance that they are right about things that are absolutely unprovable, and the lack of respect, even open disdain, for people practicing other beleif systems.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Ismail

And what becomes the response of violence towards others in the situation described by you? Aren't your "humanitarians" trying to change the culture of the people they go out to? 5 cents or a nickel it's all the same.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   

The problem is that most missionaries from the vatican (and theoritically any catholic institution) are simply applying the pope's stance on rubber. No condoms ! The fact that they believe that the solution to AIDS is the abstinence before marriage brings up another ugly point. AIDS is therefore a punishement of "fornicators". In my opinion they are insane. Or incredibly irresponsible. Either way, they are dangerous.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   

sometimes I feel we should hold their God accountable too. Remembering the awful tales in the old testament where God would kill people for seemingly nothing at all at times.

He's not done much lately, luckily. He's probably afraid of all the warcrimes he'll get charged with

Joke courtesy of noobfun

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Tinman67

I don't believe that saving people from AIDS is "changing their culture". That comment was tasteless, rash, and just for the sake of rhetoric. Are you a christian by any chance ?

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ismail

The problem is that most missionaries from the vatican (and theoritically any catholic institution) are simply applying the pope's stance on rubber. No condoms ! The fact that they believe that the solution to AIDS is the abstinence before marriage brings up another ugly point. AIDS is therefore a punishement of "fornicators". In my opinion they are insane. Or incredibly irresponsible. Either way, they are dangerous.

I agree with your stance on "the condom", but I believe the topic primarily is dealing with missionaries. From where I am standing I am seeing the ability to stamp that label onto anyone who tries to change a native populations beliefs or culture.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Allow me to add that those men were killed by the touareg, because they understood that by "removing them" they would save many more lives. And hey, christians believe in immortality of the soul right ? So those guys got their ticket to heaven by exposing thousands to the risk of AIDS. God works in strange ways, right ?

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   

GOd has no physicasl address, therefor he cannot be served due process by a court of law.

(he's still omnipresent, though. )

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   

It doesn't have to change their beleifs.

They don't have to go in there and decide who the people have sex with for them, how often, for what reason, and in what way.

All they're say is how to use the contraceptive and explain it helps to prevent the spread of disease... and moral judgement is included from personal agendas only.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I remember watching a documentary on BBC which i will dig out soon and post a link to,it made sick to my stomach.It was evangelical American missionaries in Africa.These people were starving,aids was rife...really just a terrible situation.Then these evangelicals come with their holy books,make a nice little church ,they promised these people that the rapture was coming soon and that Jesus would solve all their ills.There was a murial in the church also where the people painted on a wall what they imagined the rapture to be like etc...you really have to watch it,these people were being used and given false hope which i think anyone in that kind of situation would be looking for hopelessly...oh yeah and to top it all off condoms were sinful when this village was rife with aids
Ok ill find the documentary it will show better than i can type.

[edit on 15-11-2008 by Solomons]

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Ismail

With your logic it seems that when christians were murdering the Native Americans, they were simply helping them along to the happy hunting grounds? [sarcasm]

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   

My post was sarcastic, but you make my point. Because I do not believe in heaven. Or the happy hunting grounds.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Murder is murder. Although it's not "right", in certain circumstances it's understandable. And one of those said circumstances is not "to save someones soul". I can give you proof of AIDS, can you give me proof of a soul, or even god at that matter ?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join