It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. civilian kills Afghan after fire attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I included a link, but cut and pasted the entire story since it's a short one.

www.reuters.com...

KABUL (Reuters) - A U.S. civilian shot dead an Afghan civilian who tried to set fire to another American on Tuesday, the U.S. military said.

At least 4,000 people have been killed in Afghanistan this year, some 1,000 of them civilians. It is still rare though for foreign civilians to be directly engaged in the conflict.

The shooting occurred after an altercation, a U.S. military statement said.

"Reports indicate the local national was shot after pouring and igniting a flammable liquid on another U.S. civilian. The civilian sustained serious burns and was transported to the nearest coalition forces medical facility for treatment," it said.

Taliban insurgents said children had poured petrol on a female foreign soldier and set fire to her while she was searching homes in the town of Maiwand in the southern province of Kandahar.

"The soldier caught fire immediately after petrol was poured on her and then explosions were set off because of the ammunition on her," the Taliban said on their Web site.

"As a result the female soldier was killed instantly and a large number of other foreign soldiers were wounded," it said.

It was not possible to verify the conflicting reports, but the Taliban frequently exaggerate foreign troop casualties.

(Writing by Jon Hemming; Editing by David Fox)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My friend knew this women. Of course, the Taliban were lying when they said she was a soldier; she was a social scientist.

He said she was conducting a standard interview in a village/town to assess local indig impressions of the government, the economy, etc. The POS she was talking to suddenly stood up, doused her with a flammable liquid and lit her up.

So far all he knew is that she has 3d/2d degree burns over 60% of her body...condition unk following MEDEVAC and initial treatment in country. She probably will be shipped back to the CONUS.

One of her team mates (another one of our civilian contractors) put two in f**kstick's head.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
My prayers go out to this woman, she has a tough road ahead, and all just for trying to help these people.

It's things like this that kill the humanitarian in me.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
The soldier caught fire immediately after petrol was poured on her and then explosions were set off because of the ammunition on her," the Taliban said on their Web site.

My friend knew this women. Of course, the Taliban were lying when they said she was a soldier; she was a social scientist.He said she was conducting a standard interview in a village/town to assess local indig impressions of the government, the economy, etc. The POS she was talking to suddenly stood up, doused her with a flammable liquid and lit her up.

If a grenade-loaded 'social scientist' along with 2 other armed 'civilians' busted down my door to conduct a 'interview' on why we ignorant indigenous Afghans don't like America's 'Ideals' I would have turned them into human torches too.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar
The soldier caught fire immediately after petrol was poured on her and then explosions were set off because of the ammunition on her," the Taliban said on their Web site.

My friend knew this women. Of course, the Taliban were lying when they said she was a soldier; she was a social scientist.He said she was conducting a standard interview in a village/town to assess local indig impressions of the government, the economy, etc. The POS she was talking to suddenly stood up, doused her with a flammable liquid and lit her up.

If a grenade-loaded 'social scientist' along with 2 other armed 'civilians' busted down my door to conduct a 'interview' on why we ignorant indigenous Afghans don't like America's 'Ideals' I would have turned them into human torches too.

Dude (or dudette), the Taliban were lying on that website about her being a soldier and "ammo exploding". And I hate to burst your bubble, but they weren't kicking in doors, either.

She was asking questions, the guy doused her with something and set her on fire, and he got his pea-brains scattered to the four winds for his troubles.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
My friend sent me an update on this story:

Paula Loyd, HTS Social Scientist, passed away yesterday at approximately 1400, BAMC, as a result of the burns she received in Kandahar, AF, this past November.

She fought for a little over two months...

Paula's undergrad degree was from Wellesley College, graduate degree from Georgetown Univ. She was also a Staff Sergeant, USAR.

RIP, Sergeant.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
My prayers go out to her family.

Nobody deserves to die in this manner.

top topics

join