It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ministers 'force through' compulsory sex education for five-year-olds without asking parents

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Ministers 'force through' compulsory sex education for five-year-olds without asking parents

www.dailymail.co.uk< br />

Ministers were yesterday accused of forcing through compulsory sex education for children as young as five without asking parents.

They have gone back on a promise to hold a full public consultation before pressing ahead with statutory sex education for all pupils, it emerged.

Ministers have instead asked a head teacher to advise them on the 'most effective ways' of making the subject compulsory.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
More insanity from the UK education board.

Apparantly children can be asked about how their schools should be run,(see link for details.www.abovetopsecret.com... ) Yet in something as important as this,parents are not even consulted!

Children need to be allowed to be children.
Secondary school is where sex education should begin,not before.

www.dailymail.co.uk< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Well there has to be a first time for everything but i agree with you...

Having three kids myself with the oldest being 6 years old. I would not like the idea this little dude being told how to have save sex.

My son still things all girls are "yakky" and the last thing he would wanna hear is how he should have sex with them.

star and flag for you sir.

Ps : anybody telling him about this is gonna be no other than his own father.

[edit on 14/11/2008 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Whilst I strongy agree that 5 is way too young, I will say secondary school is too late.

We had our first 'sex-ed' lesson in year 6 making us about 10... Now I was already thinking about sex...(only thinking mind you) But I will ask you all; to remember the British child who gave birth at only 11.

So yes, 5 is too young, but secondary school is too late.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by StevenDye

You are forgetting the primary component in the child's education: the parents.

Who's to say they are not answering their children's questions? After all, who knows the child better than the parents?

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

The Church and their ministers of rightness.
This story sounds like the making of...... Pedofiles "R" Us.

And I bet the parents are gonna still take bread from these morons.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
My grandson is 6, almost 7. I guarantee you if I told him about sex now he would freak out, as would I have at that age. When I was in 5th grade I learned a bit about sex from some older kids and I was thinking to myself......."ewwwwwwww.......that's gross.
But, yes, maybe 5th grade is a good time to begin sex education. I remember a couple years ago when my granddaughter was in 5th grade and she came home to tell us of a classmate who had sex with some of the boys in the class. So, at least here we had some 5th graders who weren't grossed out by the subject.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

You are forgetting the primary component in the child's education: the parents.

Who's to say they are not answering their children's questions? After all, who knows the child better than the parents?

And who's to say they are? sometimes a complete stranger can know you more than your parents...

You cannot rely on parents to do everything, school has to take over at some point...but yes 5 is too young.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by StevenDye
You cannot rely on parents to do everything, school has to take over at some point...but yes 5 is too young.

So you don't think it's IMPORTANT ENOUGH.........sheeesh!

Nobody is more responsible than the parent.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Ate who? I can't rely on the government (of which the schools are a part) to do anything right. Now you say they should 'take over' for me because someone is lazy (and only according to an outsider's viewpoint)?

I swear, it seems every time I turn around one way, someone is telling me to 'stay out of my life' (when I have no intention of sticking my nose there anyway), and when I turn around the other way someone wants to tell me what to tell my kids, how old they should be when they're told, how to discipline, what to eat, when I can smoke, what I can drive... sheesh, people, get outta my life!

Jakyll, when are you gonna get tired of this over there? I'm starting to think England is completely insane.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I am not saying no parents will ever tell there children about sex, but can you honest come to me and say every single parent in the United Kingdom will tell their child everything they need to know about sex? If you can, you have a sheltered view of parenting...

A little off-topic, but it relates t my point. I know a girl, she is 14, she lives with her dad and he has told her how he wants to put her in care. He has told her this more than once, and told her that once she is 16 she will be kicked out of the house if she continues at school and doesn't get a job. She has wanted to kill herself more than once. Now I get the strange feeling, that he probably hasn't ever sat her down and told her about sex... So school will have to do it.

Now if a girl is having a child at 11 years old, then school needs to kick in at an age younger than that...such as year 6, making the cild about 10 years of age.

By 'take over' I meant, they have to stop caring what the parents say, and do what is right for the child. They have to take over that aspect of the childs understanding of life briefly, because some parents wont do it. Many have to suffer for the actions of a few...it is the way of life.

[edit on 14-11-2008 by StevenDye]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Jakyll, when are you gonna get tired of this over there? I'm starting to think England is completely insane.

It is.

This country is going to the dog's mate,and all thanks to the Labor government.Just think,the country is now being run by a man who wasn't voted in and he won't have a referendum because he's scared he'll be voted out!

Being English protests always seem to move slowly and then they burst into action before you know it.So,at the moment,i'm keeping the faith that things will change for the better.

I say 11yrs old and up is when sex education should start.But i believe its parents who should be given the choice in this.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Why should parents be given a choice at the age of 11 and up? It isn't the parents health or life that will be affected, it is the childs...parents do not always want what is best unfortunately.

But 5, is an age where the child cannot get pregnant, or make any other person pregnant. And so sex education is not needed at such a young age.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
I'm starting to think England is completely insane.

They've been insane for Centuries!

Glad I got out while they let me.
you can't even fart in public over there these days without getting a ticket.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   

By 'take over' I meant, they have to stop caring what the parents say, and do what is right for the child. They have to take over that aspect of the childs understanding of life briefly, because some parents wont do it. Many have to suffer for the actions of a few...it is the way of life.

Please, please, please tell me you're in England and not in the USA. Over here, some of us still believe in freedom from tyranny. Do you even realize what a can of worms you are opening?

Some parents won't tell their child about religion, so now the school decides to do it. Some people tell their children too much about religion, so now the schools have to tell them different. Some parents tell their kids they can't go the doctor over that sniffle, so now the schools take them. Some parents don't spank their children, so now the schools have to do it.

Gah, if you're in the USA, at least stay the hades outta Alabama...

And jakyll, I'm tempted to buy you passage on the next ship... nerbot already escaped...

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

There's a legal caveat in all UK state-funded schools admissions enrollments known as 'in-loco parentis' which basically means that when you sign your child up to the school, they become the legal guardians of that child between the time they are enter the premesis in the morning to when they leave at the end of the day as per contract...and as a 'legally mandated guardian' they can act accordingly in what they consider to be in the best intertest of the child, including compulsory sex education...you have no say in the matter

like any legally binding contract...read the fine print before you sign on the dotted line.

If you don't believe it, try keeping your child away from the school and you will be taken to court and/or fined for 'breach of contract'!

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

like any legally binding contract...read the fine print before you sign on the dotted line.

Sort of gives new meaning to the phrase 'signing away your first-born'... only in this case, they want all the offspring.

Sounds like someone over there thinks Rumpelstiltskin was too generous...

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
citizen smith

I am aware of it.
But it can become void if it breaches a person's civil liberties.Parents have the right to agree or disagree to what their children are taught,and at what age.

The Redneck.

I might take you up on that offer as next year i'm hoping to travel there to visit my friends

[edit on 14-11-2008 by jakyll]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

You like it so much you wanna wait a year? And here I was thinking you were pretty smart.

I swear, it is sounding like a penal colony would be preferable to that rock.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I think it would be smart to ingrain kid with one idea about sex.

Always use a condom...always.

If it was unthinkable to have sex without a condom, a lot of problems would be solved.

You don't even have to tell them what sex is, they can figure that out by themselves on the internet (like most do).

Just say when you have sex, which you shouldn't until your older, ALWAYS use a condom...always...no matter what....

By the way, anyone here that has kids, they know so much more than you think they do...

about drugs, about sex, about everything.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join