It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pupils as young as five given right to tell teachers how they want to be taught and what uniform to

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Pupils as young as five given right to tell teachers how they want to be taught and what uniform to wear

www.dailymail.co.uk

Children as young as five will win the legal right to tell teachers how they should be taught and disciplined for bad behaviour, it emerged today.

Pupils will be handed an unprecedented say in the running of their schools - from the uniforms they wear to the meals they eat.

But the proposed new duty on school governors to 'invite and consider' children's views drew an angry backlash from teachers' leaders who claimed it would be 'open to abuse'.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
In fact,as the article shows,abuse of this idea has already happened.

She said some schools were already allowing groups of pupils to stand at the back of classes observing lessons without the teacher's agreement and to sit on interview panels for new staff.

And she was aware of a recent case where a teacher had gone for a job only to find she was subjected to a 'speed dating'-style interview, which involved spending five minutes talking to a series of pupils sitting at individual desks.

Asking for opinions is one thing,but giving children this kind of power is insane,especially as our schools are already a mess.Most children are not going to think about this intelligently,they're going to see just what they can get away with.If i was still at school,thats what i'd be doing!

Ministers have also been warned that schools will be vulnerable to lawsuits brought by parents who claim their children have not been properly consulted.

Damn right there will be!

I consider myself to be a fairly liberal person,but this is too much.Children do not have the qualifications to know what the best teaching method is,nor do they have enough knowledge,experience or qualifications to give answers on health,safety and equality.As for having a role in recruiting staff....how pissed off would you be if a job you needed desperately came down to the choice of 10yr olds!?

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Kids do like to have choices..no question about that.

However, this just seems to go too far. I'm seeing the school and teachers with the platform of learning through playstation games and catered lunch's from Mc'D's being very popular under this plan.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Talk about inmates running the asylum.

This is pretty ridiculous. I think that it's fine if they have some say in their uniforms (I want the one where I wear my pants below my butt and the topless one for the girls).

But it's the educators that have to sort out the curriculum.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I personally think this a good idea blown out of proportion.

Give children the opportunity to choose from a selection of options considered acceptable by the school's governing body and you allow the children a level of control over their future.

I think that this level of empowerment serves to support growth in child development and stimulate free thinking and freedom of choice whilst maintaining boundaries of realistic education.

Possible that the Daily Mail could be encouraging fear mongering of a minority of teachers who don't fully understand the plans that have been outlined.

However that said.. I found it funny this was printed..

"When children were asked how much they thought their views were listened to in running their schools, 34 per cent replied 'not very much' or 'not at all'."

obviously the children were wrong about that statement or this action would not have been intigated in the first place. However, it is every individuals right to have the freedom to choose how they may live as long as it is no against the free will of others. The teachers may feel this the case but they get recompensed through wages and made this their career choice.

If you can't stand the heat then perhaps vacating the kitchen may be beneificial.

new topics

top topics

join