It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RNC Sues To Overturn McCain-Feingold

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
The Republican National Committee has filed lawsuits challenging "the constitutionality of the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act's ban on national parties raising and spending non-federal dollars, and the constitutionality of political party coordinated expenditure limits."

The Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act is better known as the McCain-Feingold campaign finance reform bill, and the lawsuit is effectively an effort to overturn it.

The effort, the Washington Times argues, amounts to "a slap in the face" to 2008 GOP presidential nominee John McCain, whose advocacy for the bill angered many conservatives.

The suits seek to overturn the ban on the generally unregulated contributions known as "soft money," a key componant of the McCain-Feingold legislation, and to get rid of limits on coordinated spending between political parties and candidates.

www.cbsnews.com...

The Republican Party will file federal lawsuits Thursday seeking to overthrow the McCain-Feingold federal campaign finance regulations, Republican National Committee Chairman Robert M. "Mike" Duncan revealed Wednesday night at a private dinner with the nation's Republican governors.

The move is considered a slap in the face of the Republican Party's failed 2008 presidential candidate, Sen. John McCain of Arizona, who was dramatically outspent by Democrat Barack Obama, and of President Bush, who signed McCain-Feingold into law in 2002.

"We will bring two federal suits tomorrow to strengthen the Republican Party," Mr. Duncan told The Washington Times.

www.washingtontimes.com...

Other items to keep in mind ...

Qaulity of Financial Disclosure in the most recent election
www.opensecrets.org...

Amounts raised in most recent election and sources
www.opensecrets.org...

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Oh how quickly things change...

Evidently the idea of reducing big business's influence in Washington is only good as long as it favors the GOP.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11

Evidently the idea of reducing big business's influence in Washington is only good as long as it favors the GOP.

Correction, the extremist-GOP, if you can even call them GOP. This is a strong testament to the fact that McCain himself did not represent another 4 years of Bush administration. I imagine McCain, like many of us other conservatives, want to see the GOP rebuilt with the grassroots beliefs intact, on a base of unity and cooperation, not conflict.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

Correction, the extremist-GOP, if you can even call them GOP.

This is being filed by the RNC..Specifically Republican National Committee Chairman Robert M. "Mike" Duncan.

Does the RNC and it's Chairman Duncan represent the extemists in the Republican party?

I have yet to see any Republican Politician rebuke this effort, maybe you can direct me to a link or something showing a moderate wing of the GOP opposing this effort.

Otherwise what it looks like to me is that the GOP is unable to collect enough small donations from average Americans to compete with the Democratic Party's popular financial support and thus wants to go back to raising money the old fashioned way...from corrupt wealthy elite and businesses looking to buy our government.

[edit on 14-11-2008 by maybereal11]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

Correction, the extremist-GOP, if you can even call them GOP.

This is being filed by the RNC..Specifically Republican National Committee Chairman Robert M. "Mike" Duncan.

Does the RNC and it's Chairman Duncan represent the extemists in the Republican party?

I have yet to see any Republican Politician rebuke this effort, maybe you can direct me to a link or something showing a moderate wing of the GOP opposing this effort.

Otherwise what it looks like to me is that the GOP is unable to collect enough small donations from average Americans to compete with the Democratic Party's popular financial support and thus wants to go back to raising money the old fashioned way...from corrupt wealthy elite and businesses looking to buy our government.

[edit on 14-11-2008 by maybereal11]

They represent they way things "are" until January 20, 2009, which is why they aren't garnering much support among Americans. Lots of conservatives aren't denying that the GOP needs to get back to the basics and needs to sweep in new blood.

However that being said, I know many folks supporting Obama said countless number of times that they wanted new blood in Congress and on the presidential staff to run things. Obama has just brought in Clinton's old staff. I'm curious if they feel a sense of "being stiffed" by Obama.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

I too think the GOP needs a massive over-haul. I think any one party dominating runs the risk of corruption and generally poor government,

Heres hoping for a more balanced two party system in the near future with a more sane and relevant GOP.

Not to encourage a thread derail with a response to your comment about Obama's staff appointments, but I am in wait and see mode.
You have to admit though that centrist Republicans in DC have been hard to find, with some even recently likening him to Hitler LOL, so options seem rather limited. Any suggestions for GOP staff appointments? Anyone not frothing at the mouth?

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

The Repubs just can't get over the fact that they lost. Let the finger pointing begin. I, for one, am tired of all of it, including Sarah Palin. Time for them to go home and sulk - and then in due time take a long hard look at the mistakes they made. An incompetent VP candidate, an unclear message, a very negative campaign of fear mongering which incited the worst in Americans - all added up to a failed campaign. And now they file a lawsuit - SOUR GRAPES!!! GET OVER IT AND TRY TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO PLAN A PLATFORM THAT HELPS ALL AMERICANS AND IS NOT DISCRIMINATORY - AND ALSO SEPARATES CHURCH AND STATE, SUPPORTS WOMEN AND EQUAL RIGHTS FOR ALL AMERICANS - INCLUDING ALL RACES, CREEDS, AND SEXUAL ORIENTATIONS!!! SHAME ON THE RNC!!!

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
maybereal - thanks for directing me over to this thread.

This is my first read through. But the one thing that hits ya' over the top of the head is this - WHY NOW? If this went through 6 years ago, then why did the republicans wait until now to mess with it? Who 'pushed the button' to decide it was time to go after this and why did that button get pushed.

I think there is more to this story then meets the eye.

Good find maybereal. Interesting!!

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

The general take seems to be the RNC is looking to overturn McCain Feignold because at present they are not recieving the populist support ($ in small donations) that the DNC is getting. Thus by overturning the law they can turn again to fewer wealthy contributers giving large sums, heavy lobbyists and corporations like they could before the law was enacted.

Personally I think a retooling of the GOP platform would bring back sufficient support to make them competitive again...but if they overturn the law it will mean the survival of the far right's agenda even without popular support.

new topics

top topics

join