It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 SKILLS we ALL need to know...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   
whoa whoa whoa
why is a military thing shine your shoes?

I would think something like hit what your aiming at would be better. Or dont get pms whatever its called would be better.

is that all they really do? no wonder their so freaked out after being in real combat. I mean their soldiers they should be preparing and training for war not worrying about the shine on their shoes. which i would think would give away their location on a battlefield.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vodo34861
I guess in my mind there are a lot more things that someone should know and this list is incomplete.

I somewhat agree - however EVERY LIST is incomplete - in and of itself. Thereby being a list. An instrument whereby one lists things as they think of them. Therefore - being able to refer back to your list to take away from it. Or to add to it.

So lets list - again remembering this is NOT about survival of the fittest. Instead, its a list of how to be self-sufficient in today's world. And teaching our children what we know.

I see too many Mama's and Daddy's doing 'things' around the house - for example - while the kids are nowhere around. The kids are inside working their thumbs off - ass getting bigger and bigger. Parents not teaching them a single thing.

I know people that cant even check their own oil! That pisses me off. Thats what this thread is about. Not about 'surviving' or shoe shining.

Thanks so much for your replies. This has been an enjoyable thread. Also - a very real slap in the face as to how lacking we are in being self-sufficient. Hell - merely bringing it up got panties in a wad. That says a lot.

Even if you can afford to hire out everything - that could change in an instant! Never under estimate the power of Murphys Law!

Thanks again! Sorry I wasnt around to tend to the tread over the weekend but I dont get online weekends. I will check back soon!

Have a Kick Ass week!

[edit on 1-12-2008 by Little One]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I could do almost all of that! Being the daughter of a mechanic and former navy hydraulic mechanic (oh and truck driver), niece to a construction type guy, granddaughter to a brick mason, great granddaughter to a farmer & truck driver & small grocery store owner, daughter/granddaughter to awesome cooks who could make a feast out of nearly nothing I have learned quite a bit over the years oh wait forgot one last one about mom! daughter to a professional seamstress.

So everyone in my family fancies themselves teachers of all their trades and I did not get out of my 18 years with them without learning a lot about what they do, how to do it and how to do it well. I am now also mom to four boys and have learned through trial by fire how to handle medical emergencies of all kinds! I'm not much for hunting, but I can fish.

I think I could handle almost all of that!

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Everyone needs to know how to do number 17

17. Home-brew beer

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Why is this thread still in Survival?

The OP stated that this is not about survival skills but what she considers to be, what was it she said? life skills?

So I'll attack that premise.

#s1-9 It is my opinion that only people who want to destroy their planet drive cars that burn fossil fuels.

14. Carve a turkey : What? Seriously, this is an important life skill? Really?

17. Home-brew beer : Again what? Are you an alcoholic? If so then yes, I agree this is an essential life skill.

18. Remove bloodstains from fabric : Yes, a very important skill if you plan on killing people I guess.

31. Iron a shirt : In theory I know how to do this, although I would never allow someone to iron my cloths. I don't understand this need for cloths to be ironed. I think it is some form of group neurosis.

42. Fold a flag : Nationalism is evil. In addition if you are Christian or Jewish this little flag fetish we have is a form of idolotry which is of course a sin.

48. Shine shoes : Same as #31 above. Some form of group neurosis.

A friend just showed up, gotta run...

Vas

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasilis Azoth

Why do you care so much?

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Little One
Hey ATS'ers!

Male or Female - these are ALL 100 THINGS ANYONE SHOULD KNOW HOW TO DO!

As a female - I can honestly say I can pull off ALL 100 tasks without any assistance. If you cant - get a dad, brother, MOTHER, or someone to teach you how. ANYONE without physical or mental disabilities SHOULD be able to carry out these simple - everyday tasks without 'calling the guy'. One day 'the guy' wont be around. Or worse!

18. Remove bloodstains from fabric

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

What have you done??

On second thoughts maybe it is essential for a female.
Bit nasty mentioning that actually but i suppose in a survival situation.

[edit on 9-2-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Nothing nasty about something so natural hun - youre good lol.

I have found saliva (oddly enough) is the best way to remove A LOT of stains but especially blood. I simply use my saliva and scrub the area and it seems to always lift!

Edited to add:

Good work MaMaa! I too learned most of what I know from a similar environment. If I didnt understand - I asked a million questions until I did.

There are NO stupid questions - only stupid people who fear to ask them.

[edit on 9-2-2009 by Little One]

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join