It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 SKILLS we ALL need to know...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Home 29. Use a French knife. I have no comment for that.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1ShotDeal
As I said anything that promotes a self sufficient independent mind set is applicable to survival.
At first glance, I too thought some of those items on the list might be a little silly, then I thought deeper.
Waxing a car for instance might easily translate to maitaining equipment in inclement weather.
Building and flying a kite, might translate into improvising and understanding the basics of aerodynamics as well as weather conditions.9 Not to mention a fly kite makes an excellent distress signal )
In all of these things I also see an excersize in thinking past the obvious.
( filed under for what it's worth )
PS. Still trying to work out a practicle survival use for necktie tieing

Thank you so much for seeing this thread for what it is. You ROCK!

To the ones that want to turn it into REPENT! TIME IS NEAR! This isnt the thread for that.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
LOL My pleasure.
Sometimes we can get so caught up in the nuts and bolts of survival that we have trouble stepping back and looking at a bigger picture.
For the most part I have found these folks to be very inteligent and helpful. Perhaps they missed your intent but I'm willing to bet the majority will be better off for having this little excersize in perspective.
By the way, I'm still working out a practicle surival application for tieing a tie, and what the heck is a french knife ? LOL
Keep posting Little One, we may never know if or when we might say just the right thing at just the right time to help someone save themselves or thier families.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
There is another skill that is missing from the list:
Start a thread without fear of of the peanut gallery trying to rip the OP to shreds just for a fleeting sense of smarmy superiority.

I liked the list and also want to know what a "French" knife is.

edit: I did a quick google search. The first thing that popped up was that a "French" knife is another name for a Chefs knife. Long tapered knife.
See, I learned something new today!!!

[edit on 19-11-2008 by Sparky63]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

Yeah my superiority. That's what I was doing.

That's what I meant when I told the OP she knew more then me, and that she impressed me.

Survival Forum. That's why some of us found flying kites and waxing cars to be... unnecessary in the context of necessity.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Little One
Hey ATS'ers!

Male or Female - these are ALL 100 THINGS ANYONE SHOULD KNOW HOW TO DO!

As a female - I can honestly say I can pull off ALL 100 tasks without any assistance. If you cant - get a dad, brother, MOTHER, or someone to teach you how. ANYONE without physical or mental disabilities SHOULD be able to carry out these simple - everyday tasks without 'calling the guy'

At this risk of being an arse. I would have to say some of these tasks are better left to the informed. With that said, I will applaud you. But for truthful sake: Are you willing to demonstrate some of these things? I will provide examples, and you can video tape the results/fiasco.

I will avoid the simple tasks for certain. The rest I leave you to produce a video of your accomplishments(s) and of course stoke the intended audience, women. (no offense).

Automotive
4. Replace fan belt

Most cars do not have a fan belt unless you live in the 70's. It's all serpentine. Requires a special tool and special know how. Not just working a belt around a rad. fan anymore and lossening/tightening a bolt for a alternator.

6. Conquer an off-road obstacle

Doubtful unless the driver even knows what 4 wheel drive is. I have seen way to many people high side on an "obstacle" even when they DID have 4 wheel drive.

7. Use a stick welder

Dangerous assumption. Ever had 220 volts in your hand that just loves to hit open flesh? This is not a job for the uneducated. Alot of my jeep is 220 volt custom weld. Would love to see a video of a closed bead by yours truly. Not just end result, but video of you producing said bead/weld. Do you REALLY know gauge to use for sheet metal vs 1/4" steel?

25. Split firewood

Which tool? Are you talking axe? Nahh, a real lady likes to baton. What nicely sharrpened peice of of metal would you use? Would you use dry or dead wood to baton?

34. Fell a tree

Again, what device would you use to fell a tree? I have used a CS Recon to fell an 8" wide tree for survival. Please tell me you are not talking axe again? I mean this is "survival" forums right?

54. Shoot straight

Scope or Iron sights? I would love to see you video tape 250 yard iron sight, elk target.

57. Build a fire in the wilderness

What is your method of spark? Certainly not a match? Flint and Mag? Firesteel maybe? Build a fire and not burn down the country side? What would you use for kindling? How would you create the kindling from a live tree? Are you able to produce medium/large logs after tinder, and kindling combust?

59. Find potable water

Potable water is a farce. No such thing. Given long term, you (one) will get sick. What will you use to filter? Sand and a hefty bag? Big berkey? Fire boil?

Sorry to sound so negative. I have seen some cut and pastes before, but this one really hits my funny bone.

Take care and good luck,

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I have nothing to prove LOL

Man - this really touched on A LOT of egos! (Sociology Assignment - thank yall very much for your help and input!)

You cant enjoy both ego and enlightenment at the same time. I only tolerate the enlightened or those at least seeking it. With that being said - lets do continue!

Im so happy some of you found the list to be helpful and understood the meaning behind it. There will always be 'those' in the crowd as displayed here. In the real world - those kinds of people are overlooked.

I handle 'those' types the same online as in person - I overlook them and move on.

To the positive posters lacking that ugly attitude - Rock On!

[edit on 23-11-2008 by Little One]

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Very funny list. ROTFL, indeed. Forget about cars, mate! My list is much shorter.

Mine is like that:
1. Non-conflict communication rhetoric.
2. Basic Chinese
3. Basic Russian
4. Basic German
5. Hygiene of body
6. Midwifery
7. Cooking without fire
8. Campfires (also without dry fuelwood)
9. Fire safety
10. Logging (yes, it is not that simple)
11. Basic construction
12. Water finding
13. Water filtering
14. Berrygathering
15. Mushrooms
16. Maps reading
17. Fishing
18. Skinning
19. Tanning
20. Cooking
21. Food preservation
22. Archery
23. Throwing stones
24. Keeping your mouth shut.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
How about something usefull, like gutting a deer, hooking a fish, start a fire with no matches or lighter, building a snow shelter, making a noose... Something we might actually need in the near future, real survival techniques.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by mahasvin
Very funny list. ROTFL, indeed. Forget about cars, mate! My list is much shorter.

Mine is like that:
1. Non-conflict communication rhetoric.
2. Basic Chinese
3. Basic Russian
4. Basic German
5. Hygiene of body
6. Midwifery
7. Cooking without fire
8. Campfires (also without dry fuelwood)
9. Fire safety
10. Logging (yes, it is not that simple)
11. Basic construction
12. Water finding
13. Water filtering
14. Berrygathering
15. Mushrooms
16. Maps reading
17. Fishing
18. Skinning
19. Tanning
20. Cooking
21. Food preservation
22. Archery
23. Throwing stones
24. Keeping your mouth shut.

Excellent List! I especially like #24

All of the things listed are excellent examples of things we should all know something about. Common things some (far too many) are simply unaware of. Again - this thread is about being SELF-SUFFICIENT - not surviving THE END!

Great posts Y'all!

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Little One

As a female, I can proudly say I have done most of the first list except replace a belt(have helped) and I can't remember if I welded or not. Been some time since I have worked maintenance.

I will say that I don't know how to use a sewing machine, but my husband does.

And I definetly want to learn #17.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Okay I was being very polite before I felt. And I did mean it when I said I found your knowledge impressive

But you're being stubborn and unfair to us that 'misinterpreted'.

When you title it "100 skils we ALL need to know"

When you say "ALL 100 THINGS ANYONE SHOULD KNOW HOW TO DO!"

and when you say "One day 'the guy' wont be around. Or worse!"

And then post it in the Survival Forum....

It gives a certain impression to the reader

Clearly with so many of us having interpreted your message differently then you intended, you should consider that it might not have been the fault of the reader

[edit on 23-11-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Man Y'all DO NOT read well - at all lol (actually probably not true youre just so use to the whole PLAN FOR THE END mess.)

One More Time Sloooowly...

This
is
NOT
about
survival
skills
at all.

Its about being able to take care of yourself - by yourself. Now - lets try again. Carry on...

Above was my LAST attempt at making my intentions of the thread known. I have made it MORE than clear and considering the moderators HAVENT moved it - the thread must belongs just where it sits.

So YES - it would absolutely be the fault of the reader to take this and turn it into some kind of end of the world bull.

AGAIN! And lastly...

THIS IS NOT ABOUT SURVIVAL - ITS ABOUT BEING ABLE TO HANDLE YOURSELF. Now perhaps there will be no more confusion. I dont think there is any now to be honest.

Maybe a few folks egos were touched by where they find themselves - as far as the tasks. But Im not buying 'Im confused'.

Im dealing with smarter folks than that - didnt just fall off the turnip truck. Been around a spell.

[edit on 23-11-2008 by Little One]

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   

You are right.

My ego is huge, and I was really just trying to say how much better I am then you.

You saw right through that one. Good job

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Here's a few things I believe every man should know in terms of being useful...This is "Survival" right? I came here expecting a decent list of things people should be able to do to SURVIVE, and though you had a few bits in there that pertain to survival, the bulk of your post are things people should be doing anyway, especially when it come to their own kids, yet have no bearing on survival skills or tactics.

This is a list of things I believe no man can live without if they are as preparanoid as I am.

How to build shelter/fire/collect water
How to hunt with a makeshift spear, or makeshift bow and arrow and trapping
How to make camoflage and stay out of sight(Should you need to)
How to use a knife, how to use and maintain a firearm, and how to fight and kill silently
How to steal without being caught(stealing ammo/food/med supplies)
How to spot diseased/poisonous plants and animals in the wild that may affect your health, first aid knowledge, and where to get both legal and illegal drugs in an emergency(counter to popular belief some of the latter can be used for medical purposes in extreme situations like being shot.)

[edit on 24-11-2008 by projectvxn]

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Thank you very much for your post - however - off topic.

None of the items listed will save you a dollar and THAT IS what this is about - NOT ABOUT killing your neighbors to steal their food. Thats pure ignorant - yeah - I said it. Deny Ignorance! The whole idea of that is pure idiotic.

No one needs to call anyone for help to be a good boy scout. I think we all have that kind of stuff down.

This isnt about survival - its about being able to handle basic tasks without CALLING IN HELP - saving you countless dollars. And I will continue to beat that into heads until we get on track. And topic.

This Im speaking of is MUCH more feasible than tanks ever running down the streets of America or any of us having to fight our government and neighbors for mere survival. So - Id take heed.

Not gonna happen but bet your booty on this!

Your car will need a battery.

Or you will be asked to go on a boat with someone and be found out that you dont even know how to cast a rod LOL. Or worse if you believe some of the garbage here. Ignorance is not cool at all. The tasks on the list are so very basic. Yet by the tones and defensiveness - I can see the girls CAN perform these task and the men either cant - or are pissed that we can?

Very interesting thread when looking at the Sociology behind it.
My question is why this thread intimidates so many? Puts so many on the defensive? (The sociology behind that interests me much more than this stank thread itself.)

As hard as we try to make this thread into what many want to - 'surviving' something - this is not about being able to 'survive' a damned thing lol - short of getting ripped off by calling the 'guy'.

Being a good boy scout is one thing BUT!

Can we change our own oil?

Can we replace our own car/truck battery? Do we even know how to diagnose a bad battery? Its not hard - your vehicle doesnt crank... usually does nothing at all short of a clicking sound.

Can we change out one of our burned out headlights?

Can we figure out whats making it 'sputter' or 'hesitate'? That would usually be because its not running on all 4 - 6 - 8 cylinders (depending on the vehicle).

Can we even TELL when our cars are not running right? Can we do something about it ourselves or 'call the guy'?

Can we take an afternoon off and teach a kid how to cast with a rod and reel? OPEN-FACED at that.
Better yet - can we cast that rod?

If one of our babies puts a window pane out with a ball - can we fix that neighbors window pane straight away!? Or do we have to 'call the guy'?

Ok - now that we are BACK on topic.

Lets rock a few more 'need to knows'. Again - do not look to this thread to be taught to defend yourself against the EVIL!!!

You wont find your answers here - however - you might learn a thing or two you ACTUALLY DO need to know.

Thank each and everyone of you that have posted - even the smart asses for you have made the thread a sociology study in and of itself. I really appreciate everyones input. Thanks you!

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   

It would have been polite and prudent to specify to whom you were adressing in your tirade.
Respects
NR

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
Here's a few things I believe every man should know in terms of being useful...This is "Survival" right? I came here expecting a decent list of things people should be able to do to SURVIVE, and though you had a few bits in there that pertain to survival, the bulk of your post are things people should be doing anyway, especially when it come to their own kids, yet have no bearing on survival skills or tactics.

This is a list of things I believe no man can live without if they are as preparanoid as I am.

How to use a knife, how to use and maintain a firearm, and how to fight and kill silently
How to spot diseased/poisonous plants and animals in the wild that may affect your health, first aid knowledge, and where to get both legal and illegal drugs in an emergency(counter to popular belief some of the latter can be used for medical purposes in extreme situations like being shot.)

and if you do not have those specific skills , you need to be able to find out how to obtain them or someone who has them

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider

and if you do not have those specific skills , you need to be able to find out how to obtain them or someone who has them

True Perhaps - if this thread was about 'SURVIVAL'. But it isnt.

Its about fending for yourself - by yourself - without having to call in help. Thereby standing on your own and saving thousands and thousands over the course of a life time.

Furthermore - if we cant perform said tasks - we cant teach our children too - thus - they grow up dumbed down and its our fault for it.

[edit on 24-11-2008 by Little One]

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider

True Perhaps - if this thread was about 'SURVIVAL'. But it isnt.

Its about fending for yourself - by yourself - without having to call in help. Thereby standing on your own and saving thousands and thousands over the course of a life time.

Furthermore - if we cant perform said tasks - we cant teach our children too - thus - they grow up dumbed down and its our fault for it.

[edit on 24-11-2008 by Little One]

That is the daftest thing I have read on this forum, The Forum itself is called SURVIVAL, the topic is 100 skills we need to survive, and the list you quote are basic survival skills.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join