It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Homo erectus find

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Despite, having always aligned myself to the Evolutionists (much to my Sunday school teachers dismay), I seldom engage Creationists in debate for the simple reason that I don't see the point in arguing with a person who will never agree with me, no matter what persuasive argument or "proof" that I care to offer. It's too exhausting.

Now, a new discovery in Ethiopia has added another piece to the jigsaw puzzle that is human origin:

The finding transforms thinking about some early human ancestors and evolution and suggests that helpless babies came along relatively late in the human lineage.

Link to Article

In fact I have taught my son that there is the likelihood that the Creation and Evolution schools of thought can be merged and accepted as a whole ie. To God, the passing of a million years is like a day to us mere mortals. At the same time I have tried to instill a "question and investigate everything" way of thinking.
I believe that the basic teaching of the Gospel are positive and profound. They are the foundation of modern Christian society, whether you believe in a Creator or not.

Homo erectus, Latin for "upright man," arose in Africa 1.8 to 2 million years ago, migrating to Asia and Europe before becoming extinct about half a million years ago. Experts agree it was likely a direct ancestor of modern humans.

I would think that this depends on what experts you are talking to.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
To add more meat to my post, here is a link to Science Daily:

Prehistoric Pelvis Offers Clues To Human Development

Scientists had thought early adult Homo erectus females, because of the assumed small birth canal, would produce offspring with only a limited neonatal brain size. These young would have then experienced rapid brain growth while still developmentally immature, leading researchers to envision a scenario of maternal involvement and child-rearing on par with that of modern humans. But those theories had been based upon extrapolations from the existing male skeleton from Kenya.

Link to Science News

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Very interesting stuff. Quality find. Though I disagree with religion, I only have problems with people who make excuses for an entirely literal Bible. Sure Jesus said alot of good things, but to argue the Earth is 6,000 years old?

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Yep, my son came up with that one too about a year ago (my ex is pretty much in a church which preaches the literal word).
Apart from being intensely disturbed by him stating the world was only 6000 years old (I equate it to him telling me that he believes the earth is actually flat), I tried not to make a big thing of it, tried not to belittle his belief in God but just asked him to be a little more open minded. That was a year ago, and I think it is paying off ... my ex hates me more, which is a really good sign

If I am able to teach my son one thing in life, and that is: our minds are free no matter who or where we are, and we need to keep on asking question in order to exercise that freedom, then I believe I have done my job as a parent.

"Facts" can and do change over time. What was once commonly accepted as today's fact (eg. humans will never take to the skies) rapidly becomes yesterday's absurdity.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

Those are not facts but assertions of opinion. In science they are referred to as 'estimates', and are never presented as fact. They are simply the best estimation possible at the moment, with the current evidence.

And how can you believe in any kind of religion if you want to investigate anything? I'm not having a go, it just seems somewhat contradictory.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
ok... i know this is a serious thread... but... HOMO ERECTUS is just too funny to say with a striaght face...sorry for my childishness, but maybe it had to do with the fact that i watched a couple off comedy store shows last night

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I'm always amazed when people cannot even think for a second of the possibility that evolution is just the physical remains of how God created life on earth.

For me there is no problem merging evolution and creation.

I too was raised old school 6 days and rested on the 7th

When I go to museums and see plain as day the striking display of hard facts starring me in the face and then to realize just how awesome and vast life really is it leaves no doubt that there is a creator!

Again the argument is what is a day to God?

Good find I'm sorry some people cant get out of their box of thinking
Creationist or Evolutionist

Sad really

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
jimmyx, I am not religious but I agree that some religions can teach a certain value system ie thou shalt not kill, steal etc. This is what I want my son to take from religion. However, he has the freedom to choose whatever path he wants, and whilst I will try guide him to the best of my ability, I shall never force my non-belief upon him.

Just to play devils advocate, here is a link to a list of great scientists who had strong beliefs (not always religion, but a certain belief system):
Link

Here is a brief excerpt:

1 Isaac Newton the Newtonian Revolution Anglican (rejected Trinitarianism, i.e., Athanasianism; believed in the Arianism of the Primitive Church)
2 Albert Einstein Twentieth-Century Science Jewish
3 Neils Bohr the Atom Jewish Lutheran
4 Charles Darwin Evolution Anglican (nominal); Unitarian
5 Louis Pasteur the Germ Theory of Disease Catholic
6 Sigmund Freud Psychology of the Unconscious Jewish; Atheist; Freudian psychoanalysis (Freudianism)
7 Galileo Galilei the New Science Catholic
8 Antoine Laurent Lavoisier the Revolution in Chemistry Catholic
9 Johannes Kepler Motion of the Planets Lutheran

[edit on 14-11-2008 by deltaalphanovember]

top topics

join