It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First pictures of exoplanets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   

First pictures of exoplanets

www.gemini.edu

Astronomers using the Gemini North telescope and W.M. Keck Observatory on Hawaii’s Mauna Kea have obtained the first-ever direct images identifying a multi-planet system around a normal star.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.gemini.edu
blogs.discovermagazine.com

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   
A bit ahead of what will probably be today's big NASA's announcement.
That's a great step in the unveiling of our universe and I hope will speed up the process towards the first pic of a terra-like exoplanet.
Some more meaningfull pictures will appear during the day but these are I think the first ever publushed.
Enjoy.

www.gemini.edu

PS I realise this post : www.abovetopsecret.com... already touched the subject, but it didn't show any actual picture.

[edit on 14-11-2008 by Chrysalis]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   
The pictures of these planetary systems make you realise the scale of our own Solar System. The below image is to scale and the inner planets of our solar system have been omitted due to them being so close to the Sun:

So hopefully, there will be found some rocky planets at some point, although in this system they will be very young and unlikely to have any life as their parent Star still has an accretion disc.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chrysalis

A bit ahead of what will probably be today's big NASA's announcement.
That's a great step in the unveiling of our universe and I hope will speed up the process towards the first pic of a terra-like exoplanet.
Some more meaningfull pictures will appear during the day but these are I think the first ever publushed.
Enjoy.

www.gemini.edu

PS I realise this post : www.abovetopsecret.com... already touched the subject, but it didn't show any actual picture.

That was NASAs big announcement,and it was made yesterday
See relevent thread in space and science

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Somehow i had the 14th Nov engraved in my mind so I didn't check much the news yesterday (or at the right time zone).
It seems today is when the news is to be published in the "Science" journal.
Feel free to delete the thread if you see fit.
But technically, this isn't Hubble's, it's from Gemini North telescope and W.M. Keck Observatory.

new topics

top topics

join