It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did god give us wisdom teeth?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Wisdom teeth are the last upper and lower molar teeth to erupt into the mouth (usually between 18 and 24 years) and are positioned furthest back in the mouth. A person will have usually have 4 wisdom teeth – upper left, upper right, lower left and lower right.

Sometimes wisdom teeth have insufficient space to emerge into its expected position and are described as impacted. An impacted wisdom tooth may cause no problems at all.

Sometimes however if a wisdom tooth has penetrated through the gum and has emerged partially into the mouth - described as partially erupted – the tooth is very difficult to clean and the surrounding gum may become inflamed, or the wisdom tooth or the molar in front may become decayed, or gum disease may develop around these teeth. Sometimes the misdirected wisdom tooth can cause damage to the molar in front.

www.askthedentist.info...

This is a light-hearted question, since my sister is going in for surgery to have her wisdom teeth removed tomorrow morning.

This part of the human body seems to be pretty badly designed!
Why would God design us to have teeth that cause so many problems and are so danged hard to get out?

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

The human jaw never stops growing. It elongates.
If a person is of a large stature, I doubt they would have to have theirs cut out.
I had all 4 of mine out at around 18.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
This part of the human body seems to be pretty badly designed!
Why would God design us to have teeth that cause so many problems and are so danged hard to get out?

This is not the work of a deity, but evolution. Clearly, wisdom teeth no longer serve their original purpose. If sufficient selection pressure exists, they could ultimately be bred out of us. If we just learn to live with the problem (i.e., through surgical alteration to minimize the consequences stemming from this maladaptive trait), then wisdom teeth will continue to be a nuisance to all of our descendants!

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by X-tal_Phusion

Whadya know, we found the missing link!

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Pretty interesting question...

i am 26 now and have not had any issues with my wisdom teeth at all...

I wouldn't say I am of "large stature" i'm 5'10 and rather big built..

Is it normal that i haven't had issues with my wisdom teeth ?

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Alucard Hellsing

Some have been known to come out around the mid 30's.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by lostinspace

Nooooo!!

For a while there a thought i was safe...

Just had to come along didn't you

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
From an anthropological standpoint, it's all about the increasing head size among humans.

There is an upper limit on what the human birth canal can possibly pass during childbirth. As the larger part of the cranium gets bigger, babies with smaller jaws are selected for, since they have slightly fewer complications during birth. Then the smaller jaw doesn't have room for all the teeth that primates usually have. These factors are only true across large populations. Many folks never need wisdom teeth removal, or not all four. But over time, the percentage of the pop that needs such surgery is slowly increasing with each generation.

Or at least that was the standard "party line" in physical anthropology a couple of decades ago.

The process is being offset by Caesarian section births, since at that point the size of the head matters much less. On the othe hand, a C-section is much more dangerous than traditional childbirth. But again, every child born by c section is another incremental force on the next generation's children needing ever more c sections.

Now, notice that God doesn't enter into the above issues. Most of the pressures on human birth survivability only came about after the Neolithic improvements to human diet. Only when fetuses get above 6 pounds does it become an issue for the group---and that happens with nomadic pastorialism---herders. (Farmers outside the developing world generally have very poor nutrition).

all the best.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Why its obviously a conspiracy by dentists who went back in time and altered the human dna to produce these useless teeth...thereby guaranteeing them something to do when they returned to the present day and age.

I had all of mine removed when I was around 30...

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I've heard that some people have enough room for them to grow without discomfort and some do not.
Just hope to be one of the lucky ones.
Remember to bring it up with your dentist.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Get rid of them if you foresee problems.

I went through hell with a tooth that was crushed and infected thanks to a massive wisdom tooth coming up.

It started with the wisdom tooth crushing the tooth in front of it. I figured it would be ok once that initial crack finally happened and there was no pain.
I let it go.

A while later toothaches started so I went to the dentist to get it removed and BOTCHED REMOVAL. It was infected but they figured they came this far, so finish it. The tooth completely shattered as they went for the grab & knock the bottom to crack it off. My gum was blocked solid with tooth particles which had to be picked out over a couple hours.

The punchline of the procedure is that I was no longer numbed right in the middle of it all and I was already dosed as far as they were willing to go. I had to tough it out a while.

My gum had to be packed and stitched and I was sent back to work to enjoy the beginning of hell. The pain... Oh God the pain...

I ended up sick from pain and left the office to go home and pop something to take the pain away or cool it down. Sure enough the pain subsided by the time I would normally go to sleep.

BANG!@ About an hour before my alarm clock would go off the pain was so intense it woke me. I was in such pain that I dreamed I was shot in the neck. Honestly. And the sound of the shot woke me up but it was obvious the pain did it.

I got a prescription for some dandy pain killers faxed over to the nearest drug store and called my secretary to get her to forward my calls to my cell if someone insists but otherwise I'm going to be stoned out of my mind all day and to warn that I might not be the best to handle anything right now. All was well and I was high as a kite all day and into the night.

The next morning I wake up hearing underwater sounds and I have the worst headache I've ever thought possible without a bullet grazing. While I'm getting up I see the blood on my pillow and feel the hot stuff coming out of my ear and my eye feels like it was buffed with sandpaper in behind. I get to the doctor...

My inner ear/drum erupted and I had "orbital cellulitus" (eye socket infected) all from the goo inside my infected gum.

The doc puts me on 10 days 2x1000mg a day of Ceftin. This medication in just two pills... TWO PILLS CURES gonorrhea and I was getting 20 over 10 days! I knew this was bad and the doc agreed that the only thing to do if this doesn't work is a hospital stay & IV antibiotics. NIGHTMARE! But it goes on!

I spend, on average, 1 hour a day NOT ON THE TOILET to rest some. When I'm not shedding the inner lining of my intestinal tract I'm laying for that one hour of stabbing cramps and YES my first and not my last out of body experiences for the 3 weeks after it all. I was weak, unable to eat out of fear if not excruciating pain and just barely hydrated.

I finally returned to work 32 pounds lighter (I wasn't fat to begin with) and delegating my duties to staff more than ever and only going in every few days for the next month or so till things got back to normal.

All thanks to a wisdom tooth that I was unsure would cause me any trouble.
I still have the wisdom tooth and the wisdom I gained from it. Don't underestimate the SMALLEST infections in the ear / nose / throat area.

[edit on 14-11-2008 by Atlantican]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

I agree with X-tal_Phusion, God did not give us wisdom teeth. They are part of our evolution. You see, early man had horrible dental hygiene, as I am sure you could imagine. As a result, we evolved to get a third set of back molars to augment the ones that were most likely falling out by the time of their arrival. Essentially, people who lost their permanent teeth without growing wisdom teeth could no longer chew their food, and were therefore less likely to survive and pass on their non-wisdom teeth having genes. People who had wisdom teeth could continue chewing their food and thus were able to pass on their wisdom teeth having genes for longer thus having more children. This is how evolution works.

By the way, I know there is a God and I also know that evolution is real. The way I reconcile these two ideas is incorporating evolution into God's grand design. I mean, which is more "grand" to you. That God created each and every creature in its present state or that he designed a system whereby he needed only the building blocks of life, some electricity, and a really, really long time and this system would generate the huge plethora of life seen on this planet. Personally, I believe that denying evolution could be a huge insult to God as it is the denial of possibly the most beautiful an impressive part of his grand design.

X-tal_Phusion was wrong about one thing. Learning to live with wisdom teeth will in no way doom future generations to having them. Evolution does not work like that. We will only evolve to no longer have wisdom teeth if having them somehow becomes a detriment to our reproduction or if the people who do not have wisdom teeth somehow become more successful at producing offspring.

Also, your comment that X-tal_Phusion was the "missing link" shows how undeveloped your thinking, or mind, really is. In your scenario, you would be the missing link. X-tal_Phusion, by understanding an advanced theory like evolution, would be more evolved or advanced than you, thus making you the "missing link" in the evolution from a lesser advanced individual(you) to a more advanced individual(X-tal_Phusion). Sorry to be so spiteful, I just thought your comment was really insensitive and quite frankly, ignorant. By the way, I am not calling you insensitive or ignorant, just your comment.

[edit on 14-11-2008 by BluegrassRevolutionary]

[edit on 14-11-2008 by BluegrassRevolutionary]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Im thirty and my fourth wisdom tooth is yet to surface, ive already had one out due to having no room in the back of my mouth.
I noticed that over the last ten years these dam teeth have started to grow for about six weeks and then stop?!
Its such an annoying pain when they are breaking through but I must say when I had mine out it was painless and also pain free afterwards.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by md11forever

The conspiracy is dentistry in it's entirerity. I have not seen a dentist since I was 16 (ten years ago) and even then it was the free one you get at school. I have had zero problems with my teeth in any manner whatsoever.

Friends of mine and my partner all visit the dentist regulary and are told they need this and that done, which costs a pretty penny, and usually results in repeat visits for years to come, thereby earning more money for the dentist. Alot of the work appears to be cosmetic too.

My partner was being seen by an NHS dentist, where the cover is free, but now all of a sudden a new breed has popped up called a Dental Hygienist. These aren't covered by the NHS and as a result you have to pay. Now every time she goes to the dentist, she is told she needs to see the Hygienist. Seems to me they are always looking for a way to maximise income.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I'm 31, I'm 6'3 and I have all 4 of my wisdom teeth. I haven't had them pulled or anything. They were a little sore coming in, my jaw would get sore at times, but overall no problems.

So there could be some truth to bigger people not having the problem.

Just a shot in the dark here, but maybe at 1 time people lost teeth more often. And so when the wisdom tooth came in, it would push the other teeth forward and close in the gap. Pure speculation, no idea if that is even close to being right.

[edit on 14-11-2008 by badmedia]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   
my beliefs aside, im posting what happened in my fiancee's class in school for naturopathic medicine. One of their paradigms is that the alignment of the human body has a natural use, and when in alignment you are at your optimum health. One of the functions of alignment is to allow "chi" or energy to better flow through your body and provide good health. So to explain this one day in her class, the teacher was explaining that removing the wisdom teeth offsets alignment, and to demonstrate she had a student lift a weight as hard as she could, and the student lifted a certain amount. THEN, the instructor filled the abscess where the students wisdom teeth used to be with her fingers to correct the misalignment due to the extractions, and had the student again lift a weight, and the student was able to lift more weight....the point being that alterations in the natural body throw off the alignment, and weaken or interupt the natural energy of the body resulting in reduced ability.

Similarly, we are finding uses for things doctors used to think useless, as tonsils have been found to have a function in storing and processing out toxins, and the appendix has lately been found to have a function in repopulating the intestinal flora after an infestation such as amoebic dysentery. We come the way god intended, and unless absolutely necessary, should not alter our sacred temple. Just my .02

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Man, I hate to tell you this but, if you are correct and at 26 you have not seen a dentist in 10 years, just wait, you will start to have some major problems. I will give it another 5 years at most and you will have more cavities than you can bear. Not to mention gum disease. I hope I am wrong, for your sake. Take my word for it, if you don't start going to the dentist soon, before you know it, you will lose many, if not most, of your teeth. Trust me, go to the dentist. That is, unless you want a full set of dentures by the age of 45.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I guess you could call it a co-incidence, this afternoon I had - a wisdom tooth extracted!

What're the odds?

Brilliant work by the dentist, just a local anaesthetic, worked it loose a bit, then cut it in half and worked each root out in a few minutes.

I've gotta say too: I was impressed with the resolution of their x-ray imaging. Very detailed. Maybe that is a sign of an up to date, competent dentist?

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   
If it were God that gave us Wisdom Teeth I'd think it was because God would want us to be able to think we had a little wisdom in our heads.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by BluegrassRevolutionary

My story is something like stumasons, and my opinions also something like his. As a teen, I had 'vampire teeth' (my two top front canines came out on TOP of my normal teeth). Society/Parents/Friends/Whatever convinced me that this was a horrible horrible thing, and so my (almost weekly) dental visits started: First he removed two of my teeth, then removed a hanging flap of skin I always had just behind my top row of teeth, then he gave me these painful retainer type things that I wore for months, after which my gap tooth (another thing society seemed to have against me
) was gone forever. And every time I went, he'd invent a new problem to call me back next week. This lasted over a year before I realised he would stretch it on for as long as he could, so I just stopped going.

Years on, here I am, not having visited a dentist since. I brush, I floss, and occasionally indulge in a sugary cola, and I've not had any problems. My top wisdom teeth came out a couple of years ago, and aside from a sore week or so, I had no problems.

God gave us problematic wisdom teeth so that we would not forget about dentists and their needs. I've paid my dues, so I had no problems

top topics

<<   2 >>

join