It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN 'has run out of Gaza food aid'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   

UN 'has run out of Gaza food aid'

news.bbc.co.uk

The UN has no more food to distribute in the Gaza Strip, the head of relief efforts in the area has warned.
John Ging said handouts for 750,000 Gazans would have to be suspended until Saturday at the earliest, and called Gaza's economic situation "a disaster".
Israel earlier denied entry to a convoy carrying humanitarian supplies.
It has prevented the transfer of all goods into Gaza for nearly a week, blaming continuing rocket attacks by Palestinian militants.
The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (Unrwa) distributes emergency aid to about half of Gaza's 1.5m population.
"We have run out [of food aid] this evening," said Mr Ging, Unrwa's senior official in Gaza.
"Unless the crossing points open... we won't be able to get that food into Gaza," he told Reuters news agency.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
gazatoday.blogspot.com
www.latimes.com
edition.cnn.com
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
What really irks me is that this new version of slow holocaust / murder / genocide (whatever one wants to call it) is being carried out by the same people who were originally the victims of an unforgettable tragedy of WWII.

And the other thing which i personally find very disturbing is the fact that the gaza strip has been blocked off to most - including journalists so the severity of the crises faced by those who live there is not out there in the open. The report can be found at this link : news.bbc.co.uk...

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I do not understand this story at all.
At first it is said that they are out of food! No more food!

Then it states that the problem is that they cannot deliver food to the people, because the Gaza strip is being blocked??

Throwing it into my post:

"We have run out [of food aid] this evening," said Mr Ging, Unrwa's senior official in Gaza.
"Unless the crossing points open... we won't be able to get that food into Gaza,"

[edit on 13-11-2008 by LostNemesis]

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by 04326

For the Muslim fanatics of Gaza, it sucks to be you.

If they weren't always attacking Israel, they might have access. If I were in charge of Israel, I'd wall it all off and never allow any passage. Even the Egyptians don't want anything to do with them.

That's what happens when you kill your neighbors.

A more contentious people never existed.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
not all palestinians are terrorists
this is a case of a few fanatic idiots ruining it for everyone.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

To put it in a nutshell the Gaza region is a small section with Israel on the right and the sea on the left. It is pretty much a under developed section which is considered an 'occupied territory'. the only for food / fuel / supplies to get in or out is through Israel.

Over the years, Israel has been moving further into the strip and taking over this mainly Palestinian region. To make things worse, Hamas and the likes have come in and radacalised the whole populace and there are frequent rocket attacks into the Israel as retaliation.

the gaza strip and its population rely on food and fuel coming in through Israel for survival - and there is only a limited amount of these supplies which come in at a time. So regardless of how the article is worded, the main issue is that the population has almost run out of the basics and are struggling to survive.

As far as the views expressed by dooper:

For the Muslim fanatics of Gaza, it sucks to be you.

If they weren't always attacking Israel, they might have access. If I were in charge of Israel, I'd wall it all off and never allow any passage. Even the Egyptians don't want anything to do with them.

That's what happens when you kill your neighbors.

A more contentious people never existed.

In response I would like to bring to your attention that this is an ongoing saga where israel continues to take over palestenian homes in gaza and the radicals start resorting to violence. Both sides are wrong but it is the whole chicken and egg debate - A solution needs to be found and someone needs to see sense rather than an attempt to 'kill off' the other side.

As far as i am concerned, both the Israelis and the Palestenians are resorting to Fanatical behaviour.

Dooper, sadly your desire to "wall it all off and never allow any passage" is nothing short of Fanatical as well. I am sure Hitler would have been proud.

**Edited to: Add further to my response**

[edit on 13/11/08 by 04326]

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by 04326

Yeah. You tend to get a little excited when groups all around you keep killing your people.

I assure you that if the dumbasses of Gaza ever decided to get along with the Israeli's and stop the attacks, they'd find their neighbors most pleased.

The funny thing is, the Palestinians will sell the Israeli's a piece of land, and then at a later date, arbitrarily decide it's still theirs!

One other thing. You let murderous fanatics operate out of your neighborhood, then don't be surprised when your house gets leveled in response.

These have to be some of the dumbest people on earth.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
the israelis with superior firepower cant stop the fanatic idiots, what do you think regular palestinians are gonna do about these idiots running around their neighborhood?
thats like having a drug house in your block and in response the DEA demolishes your whole block. what if you didnt even know they were there?
and the worse part is most of them couldnt leave if they wanted to.
terrible situation.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Egypt borders with the Gaza also!

I think it would be a little wiser for them to talk to the Egyptian government and get on better terms with them.

Why depend on your access to food from a country you basically hate and are almost at war with!

And don't they have any ports? If not, I'd say it's high time to start building some! They wouldn't have to depend on any border country for access to food then.

And how about flying the food in?

Come on, as the old saying goes, there's more than one way to skin a cat!
And there's also more than one way to get food into the Gaza!

Doesn't make sense!

[edit on 11/13/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
every thing is going to plan.

wait until there is a humanitarian crisis, offer a solution and sign a peace treaty.

Once that treaty is signed, hold on to your hats because that is when the s**t really hits the fan

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
reply to post by 04326

Yeah. You tend to get a little excited when groups all around you keep killing your people.

I assure you that if the dumbasses of Gaza ever decided to get along with the Israeli's and stop the attacks, they'd find their neighbors most pleased.

The funny thing is, the Palestinians will sell the Israeli's a piece of land, and then at a later date, arbitrarily decide it's still theirs!

One other thing. You let murderous fanatics operate out of your neighborhood, then don't be surprised when your house gets leveled in response.

These have to be some of the dumbest people on earth.

as far as i am concerned, yes i do tend to get a bit excited when it comes to killing MY people. And for the record, MY PEOPLE refers to each and every human being out there regardless of color, religion, or belief. I assure you that if tomorrow someone needed assistance of any kind, even if they were a mass murder of puppies & kittens - i would show them kindness in the hope that it will bring about a positive change in the world.

you made the assertion that if the palestinians get along with Israeli's and stop the attacks then they woulldn't have any more problems. Would you be kind enough to provide me with evidence to back up your statement. I am not a palestenian nor am i an Israeli so i dont know the in's and out's of the conflict and decided to go the United Nations website which was most independent source i could think of to see if your statement held merit.

I came across the following report which was released on the 4th of November 2008...

Report from the Sixty-Third General Assembly 21st Meeting

this report states that

...The Special Committee further recommended that the Government of Israel focus on the applicability of the Fourth Geneva Convention to the occupied territories, and distinguish between military objectives and civilians. The Special Committee called for international law to be respected, the appropriate use of means and methods of warfare, and for a cessation of the excessive use of force and extrajudicial executions and destruction of property. It also called for the cessation of the confiscation of Palestinian land and the expansion of Israeli settlements, which violated international law and damaged the territorial integrity of a future Palestinian State. Additionally, it called for the protection of Palestinian civilians and property from violence.

... i.e. In this case the aggressor according to the United Nations is Israel and is forcefully taking over someone else's land.

Further - The observer for palestine stated that:

She said that the massive colonization scheme involved the continuous confiscation of Palestinian lands, construction and expansion of settlements, and the transfer of hundreds of thousands of Israeli settlers. To date, Israel maintained and continued to expand 150 settlements in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, with more than 100 settlement “outposts” established, with a total of 450,000 illegal Israeli settlers. In addition, construction of the wall continued, in deviation of the 1949 Armistice, sectioning off at least 50,000 Palestinians into isolated enclaves.

Now this clearly goes against your assertion of "if the dumbasses of Gaza ever decided to get along with the Israeli's and stop the attacks, they'd find their neighbors most pleased". From what i can find in this report, Israel will definitely be pleased if palestine stops defending itself - it will make the property developers job much easier of confiscating people's homes illegally.

I look look forward in reading your response.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
If you want a realy good idea of what the actual plight of the Palestinians and how they where put in this position by the Arab nations themselves. Read 'The Haj" by Leon Uris. It will open the eyes of folks who think Israel is the bad guy in all this.

Zindo

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
The oil rich Muslim nations should take care of their own. It is most interesting that they don't?

Egypt does not want them, Jordan does not want them and the Saud's don't want them. I wonder how much food the cost of a missile or C4 to strap to their kids would buy??

No sense in funding the UN so they can give the money to their relatives who just happen to have some very expensive food laying around
UN money don't go far when they buy rice from Uncle Morty at $12,000 a kilo

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Maybe if the UN didn;t spend so much on champagne and caviar in NYC they could afford to pay Egypt to feed these folks. Lastestimate that they spent nearly 11 mil on special items for parties and gatherings last year. They had the bals to ask the US for more money for entertainment.
Bunch of effete Snobs!!

Zindo

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Keyhole

And don't they have any ports? If not, I'd say it's high time to start building some! They wouldn't have to depend on any border country for access to food then.

And how about flying the food in?

[edit on 11/13/2008 by Keyhole]

As i mentioned I am not expert on the middle east but loss of innocent life does make my blood boil. However as for building a seaport, i believe there is already one in operation but that too has been blocked off.

I am not sure if there are restrictions on use of airspace. Will get back to you.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I was on Google Earth just last night looking at Gaza, Israel, and Egypt.

This was because of the headlines in the news about how Israel again launched a missile strike at Gaza.

Look at the acres of verdant fields in Israel. Look at the pictures of the walls between Egypt and Gaza. See how pretty Neve Dekalim was ... but it was evacuated. There appear to be orchards and acres of fields in central eastern Gaza, squalor in other areas, and lots of open fields in the southern section.

Gaza City looks like a modern city with impressive buildings and pacious beautiful parks.

Peter J. Cooper's Weblog arabianmoney.net... reported that Saudi investors have purchased $3.5 Bn in gold in the last two weeks.

Gee whiz, Saudi guys, buy some milk, bread, meat, cheese and fruit for the hungry in Gaza, why doncha?!? And medicine and blankets and petrol. For a year's worth or even a decade, that would be pocket change to the rulers of the Kingdom Of Oil.

Would shouldn't Egypt extend the hand of humanity to their brethren by opening up their roads and gates for shipment of aid?

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Ah! You're using suggestions and dictates of the UN. You brought it up, so let's examine the UN. The practical definition of the UN is all nations united against the United States.

Normally when you sit at the head of the table in your own house, the porch dogs must remain on or under the porch, and the pot-licking dogs must remain under the table quietly. Not in the United Nations. We fund it, we host it, and every scrawny guest dog present is on the table barking in our faces, stepping in our plate, slurping our food, crapping in the centerpiece, chewing on the tablecloth, or pissing on our legs.

The UN is kind to the US compared to Israel. The UN would like to see Israel disappear, they've abandoned their peace-keeping posts to allow invasions on Israel, the Vatican has done everything possible to fight the Israeli nation, and I don't think I have to mention the Arab states, Russia, on and on.

So they condemn the wall. The same wall that keeps out suicide bombers, kidnappers, shooters, and the like? Jesus! Israel became a state in 1948, and was immediately attacked by their neighbors. That's when the bulk of the "Palestinians" left Israel, to enable a fire-free zone to wipe out Israel. It should have been a slaughter, and I seriously don't know why Israel wasn't wiped out. The history is there for anyone to read, and not a year has gone by that Israel hasn't been attacked from their neighbors territories.

Even though Arab forces vastly outnumbered Israeli forces, each time the Arabs got their asses kicked so high that folks couldn't see the backs of their heads!

If what you are doing isn't working, then to continue in the same vein is what I would not call persistent, but stupid. Stupid.

They can't get food in?

That's odd. They never have a problem getting in weapons, ammunition, and explosives!

Let them eat that for a while. Plenty is stockpiled. Chew on those explosive vests, especially with caps in place, and either your hunger will subside, or you'll blow your head off, in which case, you're no longer hungry.

RDX, C-$, HMX, and Semtex aren't very nutritious, but if you are running short of food, and instead you elect to ship these items in, then you've apparently decided what you want to eat. Tabasco will really help cut that sour taste of the plastic explosives.

I stand by my earlier statement. These have to be some of the most contentious, dumbest people on earth.

How in hell can you be a "refugee camp" resident for 60 years?

Only if you're . . . stupid.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Maan, this is old,very old tribal warfare amongst the Arab nations. Its NOT talked about in the MSM. The Palestinians of today are a Bedouin tribe that was not greatly appreciated by the other tribes in the Arab states. They have been shunned for many years. When Israel was first propagated through UN resolution in 1949, This Bedouin tribe was displaced and NO ARAB NATION at the time would give them one grain of sand to intertwine with any other tribe. The Syrians damned near wiped them out in 1951. They never had a home land of their own, They survived as all Bedouin did in the last millenia. They refused to consider any borders and went where they wanted untill the UN gave that strip of land to the Israelis and suddenly they where considered Palestinian refugees. Its an Arab problem and the Arabs need to fix it, period!

Zindo

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
...considering the feedback on this thread, i thought a few points need to be brought up that are rarely mentioned, if at all.

Egypt occupied Gaza from 1948 to 1967.The war was started by Israel however when Israel and Egypt signed their peace treaty in 1979, in which Egypt got back much of their land lost in the 1967 war, they didn’t push the issue to get Gaza back. Why not? Because Gaza was occupied by Palestinians.

The Arab countries also have not wanted to take responsibility for the Palestinians. Basically the Palestinians are being used as Pawns in the battle to exercise “right of return” if certain agenda's needed to be pushed forward.

Hammas which is their government was elected because they were considered 'lesser of the two evils' by the Palestinians at that time. The usual scenario of a two horse race. But realistically what should Hammas do? They should recognize the right of Israel to exist, as the PLO has. Until then they share responsibility for the suffering in Gaza.

In this twisted political game, does Israel deserve some responsibility for the current situation? in a nutshell - Yes.

One has to remember that the primary responsibility for the welfare of the Palestinians living in Gaza lies with the nations that put them there, with Israel, and with the Palestinians themselves. This responsibility has clearly not been discharged. Israel’s security argument is correct as far as stated. All nations have a right to protect their own people.

However, all nations must display due diligence in maintaining the health and welfare of innocent citizens under their control. Israel maintains almost complete control over the economic well-being of the Palestinians in Gaza, thus it bears the principle burden of their humanitarian maintenance.

Some of the people of Gaza are guilty of direct action against Israel; many are guilty of simply voting for the leaders of these people. However; an incredible number of people in Gaza have not yet reached the age of majority!

If any Israeli politician would state simply to the children of Gaza and to him or herself: “I’m going ruin your possibilities for happiness and prosperity on Earth. I will make it impossible for you to find a job and to reach your potential. If you’ve a disease that requires a maintenance drug, or if you get just a simple infection, I’ll let you die, and I will do all of these things because some of your relatives hate me.”

Perhaps the idea that mistreating people always engenders hatred, which always engenders retaliation, which always engenders mistreating people, would dawn upon him or her, and the innocent might be spared, an the guilty might see their children prosper, and their anger might be mollified. The interactions between nations must always be seen as conversation between two individuals. Communication is a shared responsibility; failure so to do implies shared guilt. Someone must start talking first.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
Ah! You're using suggestions and dictates of the UN. You brought it up, so let's examine the UN. The practical definition of the UN is all nations united against the United States.

Normally when you sit at the head of the table in your own house, the porch dogs must remain on or under the porch, and the pot-licking dogs must remain under the table quietly. Not in the United Nations. We fund it, we host it, and every scrawny guest dog present is on the table barking in our faces, stepping in our plate, slurping our food, crapping in the centerpiece, chewing on the tablecloth, or pissing on our legs.

ahhh... the age old technique of dismissing the significance of the evidence presented. So what you are saying is a forum of sorts that was created at the end of the world war to promote 'intelligent discussion' is absolutely not the way to go. And America (which i have the utmost respect for), has the right to dictate their own terms over the rest of the world because they won the last world war and are the 'king' of the empire. I believe, America has the right to Veto - which is more than what can be said about the majority of the nations in the world. And furthermore, regardless of what your views (or my views) about the United Nations are, it is a fact that this body is regarded as significant on the world stage.

From what you are suggesting, we should all just take up arms and regress back into the dark ages and abandon the 'civilised society' approach where each 'tribe' can do whatever they please - a law unto themselves only.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join