It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cardinal Compares Unborn Fetuses To African-American Slaves.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Cardinal Compares Unborn Fetuses To African-American Slaves.

www.catholicherald.co.uk

Cardinal Francis George, the Archbishop of Chicago, Mr Obama's home town, said on Monday that all Americans should "rejoice" that a country that once tolerated slavery had elected a black man as the 44th President of the United States.

But he notched up the pressure on the pro-choice President-Elect by comparing the treatment of the unborn today with that of black slaves in pre-Civil War America.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
How this Cardinal can compare the two is beyond me.A person has a rights over their own body.A slave has no rights at all.Big difference.I wonder if they would have mentioned slavery if the president elect was white??

I object to abortion in some cases not all.I also object to abortion after 12 weeks,when the fetus starts to develop fully.

But most of all i object this religious interference.Many women are not Catholics,many do not even have a faith.So what right does the Catholic Church have to tell these women what they can and can't do?

www.catholicherald.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

Didn't you realize that the Catholic Church is the authority on all that is moral and just in this world???

Being a woman, I am all for a woman's right to choose what to do with her own body, and I don't think that a patriarchal entity like the Church has any business telling anyone what to do with their own body.

And, comparing a fetus to a slave.....ridiculous to say the least.

When they can control what their priests do with young children, then maybe they can regain a toe-hold on morality.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
No, you see the Catholic Church is not anti-abortion because some old men in pointy hats got together and decided it would be a great way to make women suffer - or "punish" them as our illustrious President-Elect declared. The Church speaks out on such matters because it has a duty to speak up on matters of Natural Law and what is right and wrong.

Why did he mention slavery, was it because President-elect Obama is black? Well yes, it is marvellous that someone who 40 years ago would have had to sit on a different part of the bus and who 150 years ago would have been only allowed to sit when told to now holds a position where everyone stands when he walks into the room. It's why Jesse Jackson wept so righteously that night.

Slavery and abortion are of course alike and use similar justifications. Except slaves were at least given three fifths of a personality in the constitution, infants in the womb are given none but are considered to be entirely the property of their bearer. The Dred Scott case is interesting, where the supreme court declared no-one of african ancestry could claim american citizenship and so, despite having lived in Illinois, Scott could not even appeal against his enslavement when he returned to Mssouri.

We'll look back on the current slaughter of our brothers and sisters with similar shame, though it might be easier on our sensibilities because not many of the victim's descendents will be about to prick our consciences. I say not many, but there will be some:

Survivors of Abortion

[edit on 14/11/08 by Supercertari]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by jakyll
A person has a rights over their own body.A slave has no rights at all.

Actually, when you use 'rights' as the criteria, it's the same.
The unborn child doesn't have any rights.
The mother can painfully murder the child and get away with it.

The mother committing abortion doesn't kill herself; she doesn't stop her own heart from beating. She stops someone else's heart from beating. That's murder outside the womb. But inside - it's considered nothing.

At least slaves had value in society.

The only value an unborn child has is that corporations make money on his/her murder. They make money during the abortion and they make money selling the child's body parts to pharmacutical companies. It's a money making business and anyone who think's it's not really needs to understand the process - and the rhetoric - that is in play.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Grain of salt here from a resident Catholic...

Granted, I haven't been attending regular services over the past decade for various reasons I won't get into, but it concerns me when people automatically assume all Catholics are in agreement and accordance with the dictates of "Mother Church".

In fact, I've met more than my share of Catholics who are tired of the overbearing the outdated dictates of a group of out of touch Patriarchs.

This Cardinal you speak of?

Man, you can bet I wouldn't be going back to a parish that uses a time meant for meditations away from the problems of life to throw more sensationalist, biased and radically slanted agendas that were more suited for days gone by than the current here and now.

No wonder so many people are dropping away from the Churches (in all denominations) and taking to working out their spiritual lives on their own reconnisance and through independant study these days!

It's been far too long that I've left a service on a Sunday morning feeling good about ANYTHING.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
skeptic1

When they can control what their priests do with young children, then maybe they can regain a toe-hold on morality.

I agree.
But how like the CC to be hypocritical,'a child's life is sacred,but we must protect pedophile priests!'

Supercertari

The Church speaks out on such matters because it has a duty to speak up on matters of Natural Law and what is right and wrong.

They have a duty to their flock,no one else.

FlyersFan

she doesn't stop her own heart from beating. She stops someone else's heart from beating.

Not if the abortion is performed within the first 22 days of pregnancy.The heart does not beat until the start of the 5th week.

The only value an unborn child has is that corporations make money on his/her murder. They make money during the abortion and they make money selling the child's body parts to pharmacutical companies. It's a money making business and anyone who think's it's not really needs to understand the process - and the rhetoric - that is in play.

Its also a business that stops women from having back alley abortions,or having the baby and then leaving it to be exposed.

GENERAL EYES

It's been far too long that I've left a service on a Sunday morning feeling good about ANYTHING.

As the saying goes,'many are leaving the church and are going back to God.' Maybe thats what you need to do.

[edit on 14-11-2008 by jakyll]

top topics

join