It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where should I move? HELP!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I have a young family and recent developments have made me start to seriously consider leaving the US and moving out of the US permanently. I know that if the US goes so does the world but if I could buy some time and go somewhere where I can have some land to farm on and some water maybe I can make it. Where is a good place? I do need internet access to make money (for as long as you can spend it :-) that's my only requirement. Does anyone know where it is easy as far as immigration to get in to their country?
I would like genuine suggestions please no sarcasm. I am afraid and I could use some suggestions. Also, please give me other things to consider that I may not have thought of.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Cairowoman

What has made you want to leave? What scares you? For many Americans, things are looking up for the first time in a while. So you are afraid, I understand that, but why? I am an American, so I can't give you much advice about where to go if you intend to leave the country (although I know it can be very difficult to do this without a substantial amount of money and useful and/or marketable skills to offer your new community) but I would simply say that pursuing a course based primarily on fear generally leads to undesirable results. Think on it.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
If you want internet, you only need to have power.

There are satellite internet packages out now that are two way, requiring no fixed link, just electricity.

Remote areas of Canada are a good start.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Maybe for different reasons but, my wife and i have been having this discussion, In the U.S. we are thinking Idaho overseas it's Ireland.

www.transitionsabroad.com...

Interesting site..Sounds good to me. I don't know about the farm though.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
somewhere with lots of trees and a source of water
preferably as far from any cities as you can get

you will need to live off the land once the super markets are empty

thats why I recommend a forested area

I'm in the same boat family wise, but lucky have relatives out in the boonies and surrounded by farmers/forest, that we will be staying with soon enough

just remember that when a city falls, the population will seek farmland surrounding the city, the politicians may appropriate the farmland to feed the city folk, so you dont want to get stuck in that situation

[edit on 13-11-2008 by warrenb]

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   

It's a little hard to say where you should move, without knowing why you feel the need and what your fears are. Is cost of living a factor? Is a strong national infrastructure important? Healthcare? Education needs? Religious concerns? A language you already know?

Without more to go on, I'd recommend first checking out some US homesteading sites...that would at least be a place to get feedback from others who have already gone out to live off the land. Mother Earth News and Homesteading Today, for example. That'll give some info on what living off the land actually entails.

If you have specific concerns/fears you want addressed, that'd give us a better idea what to recommend.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   

West or central africa dude, but ultimately for me it would be the Australian outback Mick Dundee style far away from everything. If you go take me with you I've had enough.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

Definitely NOT Africa! There's Giraffes there!

They're in on it you know.....

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   

my husband and I have been seriously considering moving to Belize. English is spoken, they have British common law and it is paradise with a very low cost of living.

Unless of course the seas do rise then who knows?

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   

The ONLY place you would be "safe" is off the planet.

RELAX. You'll be just fine. Don't let paranoia get to you and make you make bad choices. THINK and you'll be o.k.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by moocowman

Definitely NOT Africa! There's Giraffes there!

They're in on it you know.....

A true LOL! LMFAO ROTFL LOL!!!!! I know they will take us to the camps..... LOL

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by seejanerun

my husband and I have been seriously considering moving to Belize. English is spoken, they have British common law and it is paradise with a very low cost of living.

Unless of course the seas do rise then who knows?

I need low cost of living with some modern conveniences until they are all shut down. Internet access is a must for now because I have an online business. I want to have a place where if they spoke English or Spanish it is ok but preferably English with ok health and educational systems. A place to farm and be isolated but society is close enough. A place where I could have protection and it would be legal. I am also concerned about the stability of neighboring countries. I do not want to be next door to a civil war waiting to happen. People have mentioned Costa Rica but I am unsure about central America and its past internal turmoil/ issues ( Panama and Nicaragua and the US) And general safety from natural disasters. I know they could happen anywhere but some places are more prone than others. I am trying to stay out of the hurricane belt if I can help it. I know there is no perfect place but there are some places that are better than others....thats why I need suggestions. This sounds like a good one. I will research it.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by seejanerun

My cousin moved there and never came back, opened a bike rental shop and love it!!

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by seejanerun

I'm considering Belize also. I'll probably be going there this coming Spring to check it out first hand. New Zealand also sounds nice.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I dont know if I like the fact that it is so connected to the British monarchy....do you think any changes in the UK would effect Belize? I am trying to find a place that is an independent nation but I will still consider it.

As another thought as to what my needs/concerns are, crime is an issue for me also....I want to be somewhere safe

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I'm so very sorry you are afraid. Fear can be very depleting to body and spirit.

It is much easier to travel and make a way for yourself but not so easy when you have children.

I would also have a good stash of money or gold to sustain myself while getting set up.

If I were young and had no children and had sufficient cash I would move to the Blue Mountains of Jamaica. There are many Americans already there and many other nationalities represented also.

But... I will not leave my country. I will either rise up out of the ashes or go down with the ship.

I love my country and it's people. I refuse to to be labeled a quitter or a deserter.

I have no respect for anyone that enjoys our riches in this country then runs away when the going gets rough.

I will fight for my country until I breathe my final breath.

Edit to clarify....I would move to Jamaica only as a visitor and not because my country was having problems. One of my dreams is to have a home there as well as in the USA.

[edit on 13-11-2008 by dizziedame]

[edit on 13-11-2008 by dizziedame]

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Safety: perhaps others would disagree, but I don't particularly think anywhere in Central or South America is going to be safer than the US. Sure, al Qaeda isn't likely to detonate a dirty bomb in Peru...but you'd still be more likely to face violence on any given day. Am I overlooking something?

Belize: probably still connected with the UK. Lots of hurricane potential. Lots of drug traffic. Potential conflict between ethnic groups/income disparity. The primary source of national income? Tourism. It is beautiful and cheap to live, though. Internet is spotty outside of the cities (though this info is second-hand from a friend who was working there a year ago).

New Zealand: that'd be nice, clean place to live. But connected to the UK, and that seems to be a concern for you.

Is your primary concern finding a place where the gov't will leave you alone? I'm still not clear what you're trying to protect yourself from and why you think moving will fix it.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Sounds like you have some real thinking to do.

Keep in mind, everyone wants to live in a warm climate. Overcrowding is a problem anywhere nice, free and warm.

Internet? Have you looked into satellite? It's no longer 1 way. You can get good connection speeds for less than $100 / month. Yahoo hosts sites with unlimited traffic for, I believe, less than $15 /month if heavy traffic is a problem.

If you do go somewhere warm and sunny, then you can drop your power bill by going solar. Use an efficient PC based on a VIA C7 or Intel Atom & a small LCD screen and you can operate anywhere you wish, even pick up a couple Acer One laptops or a UMPC.

I would like to think that Iceland, Canada, Bermuda / Virgin Islands would be a good place to go. Keep in mind the quality of health care etc. You would not want to have a low budget somewhere that has no healthcare.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Why are you scared of Obama being President?

I don't understand this. You sound like we did when the Bush administration was in power. Maybe you should stay the next 4 years and see how it goes.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Well it just is hard not to look at what is around us and not feel like you need to do something. If I was all alone or maybe even just married I would stay here and fight to the end like you said. But since becoming a mom the whole going out in a blaze of glory thing is not as appealing....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join