It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

does the type of music you listen to influence how well you do in school?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Today, I found out in the *special* class for gifted and talented students that I'm involved in that our music teacher conducted a survey and found out that the higher acheiving kids (not just in music but in all the core subjects-math, language, social studies, science) listen to a common type of music regularly. it got me thinking--is it because of the type of music and the beats and soforth that can help the educational development or is it just a "smart" choice by the smarter "kids" just curious what the people at ATS might think...

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Could be. I listen to Hip Hop and Classic Rock mostly and I maintain about an 85-89 average. It could be higher but I just don't care really.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   
The human brain wasn't meant to take continuos beats. Or so I've been told. That's why classical music is said to make a person smarter, because it's always changing, never a continuous beat.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
certain music affects energy levels

some is positive some is negative

energy levels of certain wavelengths produce a active or inactive brain

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Well...I agree...I listen to all sorts of music...and somehow I feel different every time I listen to each type...! For example...when I listen to Jazz...or some other soothing music...I feel relaxed and...well...soothed...but...yea! I totally agree! My lack of responsibility at school depends on what kind of music I listen to in the morning!

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
in the survey at our school, the more sucessful students listen to artists such as Linkin Park, Staind, etc. and the lesser sucessful students listen to rap, hip-hop, etc. There were other categories too, I know the linkinpark, etc category was not the highest but, they didn't tally all the results yet, I believe my friend said that jazz/classical was in 2nd right before school left out...

I was thinking originally that it had something to do with the beat patterns creating certain brainwaves as was mentioned in this thread already

[Edited on 31-3-2004 by UnknownOrigins]

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
In a class I attended not too long ago, the teacher would allow us to listen to our music, sit down, or take the test standing. Never stating the results, I made my own hypothesis. If you want to do well while listening to music, choose an inspiring piece to what you are working on. If the music is too complicated, avoid it.

Now music in general related to grades is different. A brain is very unique, in the fact that, people listen to music in different mind frames. While some listen to music for entertainment, some find it stimulates the brain process. So rather, it is not what you listen to, but HOW you consume the notes. Follow?

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I don't think that it is so much the music that makes the difference, but rather the culture associated with it and what that culture speaks to.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I can definatley agree and attest to music affecting the brain and performance. I cant do much in the way of programming when listening to any kind of metal, but if I find a good techno/trance/dance shoutcast stream, I find it much easier to churn out code, something about the energetic feel of the music keeps my mind and fingers moving like crazy

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I went the gifted and talented school.

I had to take a class and our textbook was a big yellow book with stars on the fron that was titled, "The Gifted Kids Survival Guide."

From this fact alone you can see the gifted school are a load of crap.

I listen to crazy punk ass music with 4 or 5 of my friends. One is in all AP classes, another is barely passing remedial-level classes. Some are stupid as hell, some are smart asses, and others, like me, are smart in some places but dont give a damn in others.

People in the same grade range as me listen to varying types of music. Of course, most of the kids at my school are either into alternative rock or hip hop, so that doesn't leave much room for us skanksters, emo kids, and punk losers.

Music does have an effect on the emotions, and if you're listening to it during a test, duh you're results willc ome out differently. POsiibly. It's liketaking a test while watching 500 naked swimsuit models have apillow fight in front of you, or likewise having to listen to your drunk boss and the office Christmas party while taking the SAT. Any stimulatio has an effect on us. THAT'S WHY IT'S CALLED STIMULATION!

But the theory of generally listening to different types of music is a needless one. Metalheads, gangster rappers, skanksters, emo kids, we can all get along. And we can allg et into college if only we gave a damn.

[Edited on 31-3-2004 by EmptyPlasticBag]

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   
The musical theory of intelligence was disproved about forty years ago. Think sociology- Smart kids tend to cluster together, and as such they tend to listen to a certain kind of music together. Other times, it's considered 'refined' or 'socially acceptable'.

While the line of thought is very nice, unofrtunately the question is a little flawed.

DE

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnknownOrigins
Today, I found out in the *special* class for gifted and talented students that I'm involved in that our music teacher conducted a survey and found out that the higher acheiving kids (not just in music but in all the core subjects-math, language, social studies, science) listen to a common type of music regularly. it got me thinking--is it because of the type of music and the beats and soforth that can help the educational development or is it just a "smart" choice by the smarter "kids" just curious what the people at ATS might think...

The notion that certain tyoes of music can make one smarter is absolute cultural BS. I am a professional musician and absolutely cringe with disbelief when I hear of such stances being taken.

I will keep refering to Duke Ellington who in his inimitable style said:

"There are only two kinds of music. Good and Bad."

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
The musical theory of intelligence was disproved about forty years ago. Think sociology- Smart kids tend to cluster together, and as such they tend to listen to a certain kind of music together. Other times, it's considered 'refined' or 'socially acceptable'.

While the line of thought is very nice, unofrtunately the question is a little flawed.

DE

I completely agree. It has 1000% more to do with cultural patterns than the actual sounds.

[Edited on 31-3-2004 by Facefirst]

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I think music does not influence your intelligence at all and I also think musical taste is not influenced by your intelligence, but by your environment. This is not totally true though and I think there is only a statiscal difference. My teachers like all different kind of music and also the very gifted on my school like different kinds of music. These people are all somewhat in the same environment.

I also don't know what has influenced me to like the music I like; I am going more and more away from normal music, starting with IDM a few years ago and moving on to the very experimental musicians like Hecker, Fennesz, Merzbow and Satanstornade now. Of the cd's and lp's by these artists are usually not more than 1000 copies made. What could have influenced me?

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
if i take a hip hop cd with negative lyrics in it and make you listen to it ...
and then take a band like yes and make you listen to it ...then you take the cd itself and place it over your heart (hip hop ) and place your arm straight out to your side i can take two fingers and push your arm to the ground ....if you take that yes cd and put it next to your heart and put your arm out i can take two fingers and not ,,,,no matter how hard i try, push your arm to the ground......try it .....any thing that is seemingly negative or positive and give it this test ....it works !!!!!

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by watcheroftheskies
if i take a hip hop cd with negative lyrics in it and make you listen to it ...
and then take a band like yes and make you listen to it ...then you take the cd itself and place it over your heart (hip hop ) and place your arm straight out to your side i can take two fingers and push your arm to the ground ....if you take that yes cd and put it next to your heart and put your arm out i can take two fingers and not ,,,,no matter how hard i try, push your arm to the ground......try it .....any thing that is seemingly negative or positive and give it this test ....it works !!!!!

Sorry, that is absolute biased, cultural pseudo-science baloney. It's all in your mind.

[Edited on 2-4-2004 by Facefirst]

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I call kitchen psychology on you!

Geez, it's like watching Dr. Phil. Anyone who's taken a first-year psych course would be horrified.

DE

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I call kitchen psychology on you!

Geez, it's like watching Dr. Phil. Anyone who's taken a first-year psych course would be horrified.

DE

You talking to me or him? In psychology, I only have common sense and layman's knowledge, but music is the one area in my life that have expertise in. I have been a pro for many years. Tours, major labels, music conservatory, the whole nine.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Let me rediriect the accusation- watcheroftheskies, I heap the accusation fo Kitchen Psychology upon you!

Facefirst is hereby vindicated of all wrongdoing.

DE

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Let me rediriect the accusation- watcheroftheskies, I heap the accusation fo Kitchen Psychology upon you!

Facefirst is hereby vindicated of all wrongdoing.

DE

Thankyou, thankyou. Kitchen Psychology!! I love it...!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join