It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil, The Truth is

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Whilst we scream and shout about oil being stolen etc. from anywhere and everywhere the simple fact is is that we need it. Our lives have become totally enmeshed with it and despite our lack of support for illegal wars etc. who really wants to do without oil.

Most of us think straight away about our cars etc. but oil is in everything, all our plastic products, medical food literally thousands of items. Ink for our pens oil for our heating. But it cannot last, sooner or later its going to run out and what are we all going to do. What happens when ther is no more oil?

Some may say it will be a good thing, that when it goes there will be more employment, less pollution etc. but I don't think there will be. We need to keeep warm, cook food, boil water and this cannot be achieved with novel fuel supplies, there is just to many of us on the Planet to sustain that.

This event is not far off in the distant future, this will be in our lifetimes and such situations may precipitate war for dwindling supplies. Many think that has already started. The Russians for example are already sizing up the Artic and other regions with others doing same.

Will this life of plenty come to a suddle stop very soon and are the recent economic events just a foretaste of things to come?

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
while i understand your point --- since when are fires entirely fueled by Oil? I think we could survive without the use of oil for cooking and heating and boiling water... we've done it for so many years before hand.

I just guess I don't see FIRE as a NOVEL fuel supply.

What i think it means is we'll have to find other ways to make certain products sure -- it may change things around a bit, but eventually things would even out and we probably would be the better for it. Things get toughest before they get easier.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
The reason we are so reliant on oil is not because there are no alternatives, it is because the alternatives are suppressed by the oil companies (and those who control the oil companies). If we somehow run out of oil the world would go into a state of panic, but eventually we would rediscover old ways of doing things and also create new ones.

Here's one alternative that was extremely popular at the birth of our country... HEMP! Once our biggest crop, used to make everything from clothing to the string attached to Benjamin Franklin's kite. Modern day applications include plastics (currently made with oil), biodiesel (hemp being the most efficient plant for it), and healthy food (better than the GMO corn grown in petrol based fertilizer.)

Not a big surprise to learn that the only reason Hemp was made illegal in the first place was because it threatened the American company DuPont's range of Nylon products.

join