It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama said he would overturn unconstitutional Bush laws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Bush’s laws will be scrutinized if I become president, Obama says

Source

“I would call my attorney general in and review every single executive order issued by George Bush and overturn those laws or executive decisions that I feel violate the constitution,” said Obama

This is amazing. This is one of my BIGGEST issues with the Bush presidency. He passed so many unconstitutional executive orders.

We'll have to wait and see what happens but I'm looking forward to seeing what he does. This has been a big question in the back of my mind.

I cannot see how Obama, being a constitutional lawyer, could have any other choice than to preform this action. To do otherwise would be incredibly irresponsible and a slap in the face to other constitutional lawyers. Not to mention the very fact that the oath he is going to swear includes upholding the constitution.

Something Bush never did and should have been impeached for.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
While I'd like to remain optimistic about this little snippet of information, I take great note in the words I feel violate the constitution. What exactly is Mr. Obama's interpretation of the constitution?

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Exactly. If he really wanted to change things he'd repeal the Patriot Act for starters.
I wouldn't hold your breath folks.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
While I'd like to remain optimistic about this little snippet of information, I take great note in the words I feel violate the constitution. What exactly is Mr. Obama's interpretation of the constitution?
\

Very good point. I most certainly am not taking him at his word. I guess I'm just a little giddy about the fact that this might very well happen.

As one already said, the (un)PATRIOT Act would have to be one of the first things to go. Second would be the new surveillance laws passed this year.

Can a president overturn laws just like that? I mean, I know he can overturn executive orders, but can he also veto laws that have been signed into law by a previous sitting president and voted into law by congress?

I wouldn't think he could. Like I said, I have no clue, but if it is the case then he can't do anything but overturn executive orders. Which is something we might have to settle for.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Looking a tiny bit deeper into this, it seems that, understandably, a president cannot simply turn over laws set by congress. This makes perfect sense. That would make a complete farce of the separation of powers.

I honestly think that the quote given was supposed to only refer to Bush's executive orders.

So the PATRIOT Act and the surveillance laws aren't going anywhere anytime soon unless congress get their head out of you-no-where.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
First stop:

Dismantling the Patriot Act

WOOOOOOOHOOOO!

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Irish M1ck

I second that! Shall we be an actual democracy (none of that "no, a representative republic" crap) or "national security state". Anyone with any sense knows which we are now...

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
It remains to be seen. I certainly hope he is telling us the TRUTH.

I swear, if he turns out to be a liar, i will request an audience with him MYSELF.

Why not? I'll just tell him i am from the YUCA coalition. (Young urban Cuban American) and demand an audience with him.

Seriously, he'd better not screw up or turn out to be a sock puppett.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I'm very skeptical that he will change anything,perhaps it's the smoke in your eyes from the smoke he is blowing up your keister,he ight do a few things but this change he does will be for the worst IMO

top topics

join