It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real Gang Members speak out Against "Gansta Rappers"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
www.worldstarhiphop.com...

note: video contains strong language.

To roughly paraphrase: these are members of various gangs, all speaking about the role that "gangsta rap" has in the actual culture of real gangs - and I was actually surprised to hear them all speaking out against the rappers.

Contrary to the popular dumbed-down image of gang members, they all speak the truth. They are upset, and disappointed, that young black men could go from nothing to being successful, but instead of using their success to set good examples and to help out communities, they are glorifying the same exact behavior that the gang members are all striving to get away from.

This gang member in the video says himself:

"We look to (them) to get us out of this mess. (Nobody) is happy where I'm from. You have someone in the position to create opportunity, and to make life better for (others), but the same ones making all these millions are just dumping their guns in the hood. When you look at it from an objective standpoint, I just don't respect it."

That was loosely quoted to avoid curse-word filters, but that's pretty much exactly what he said, and I have to agree.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I have to agree.

ALTHOUGH.

If these guys are so concerned about it, why don't they practice what they preach and stop being gangsters??!!??

The blind leading the blind...

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

valid question - but the entire premise is that they resort to crime and violence because there are no other opportunities (whether that's true or not is a separate matter). The point being, once you already have all this money and success, there is no reason to act like a gangta, because being a gangsta comes from necessity, not from a trend (once you strip away all of the hollywood appeal).

Sort of like how suburban kids try to act like they are less fortunate, as some type of social dynamic which I have yet to understand, but encounter all the time.

join