It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magick and/or Psychic Abilities - are they real?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Since about 2000, I've been witness to a great deal of phenomena I can't explain rationally without assuming it was psychic abilites or some type of magick.

My question to you is - are they real?

What kind of basis for your stance do you have. If you are a non-believer, why do you believe that way? If you do believe, why do you believe in what you do?

What past occurrences can we draw on to discuss this in a rational manner?

I'm extremely curious to see how this turns out.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Magic and Psychic abilities are not fictional, they have just not yet entered the realm of science which is worshipped by many today as the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. However from history we can see that many unexplained things or things that people thought were impossible we use on a daily basis in the modern world. Anything is possible.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
What I find interesting about MRI scans is they focus in on points of the body. I would like a scan that focused outside the body. There is pure nature flowing between all of us, you notice it everywhere. We need to focus outside the body to prove this energy, in time we will.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
i am both believer and skeptic.

There are things that science and conventional wisdom cannot explain away.

I believe in a lot of things but not as fact. As possibility.

Some things I do believe in as fact because I have personal experience with them.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Oh magic and psychic abilities are VERY real, probably in general more real than the average Joe's illusory sense of reality.
the thing with magic is, its a very personal practice these days. A lot of people will get into it trying to use the systems laid out before them, but many find that they are more inhibiting than productive. Dont get me wrong, the existing systems work and are awesome as well as lead great insight, but its just that for any individual, it would make more sense to just seek out a spirit guide or find your inner teacher, and create your own working system from there. The written systems are designed for a broad audience, and probably only written out as a testament to its existence more so than an actual guide of how to. If you learn from a teacher, they will most likely show you how to teach yourself. In which case, the things you learn and the things you practice, wont have much to do with contemporary words, so trying to explain it will be near impossible. Explaining it with words coming from a written system, it will seem crazy to the laymen, and will not be scientifically testable, since the initial act of testing is a lack of faith which is a lot of what most of this work is based on. The second the faith in the system disappears, the entire system disappears. Same with reality. Go figure. Its not magic if you understand it, its just spiritual psychology, and sorcery if you use it egotistically.
My only advice would be study the Tao or any other non dualist philosophies, and meditate, find the inner teacher, from there, if you ask you shall receive.
I say this, because if you use a preexisting system, you have no idea how deep the layers of encryption go, so you really dont know what you are dealing with, granted it will only be what you believe it to be, it may be more intricate than is needed for your practice, and un needed tethers may cause un expected results, also, with your own system, you know the ins and outs with crystal clear perfection, it is quite literally an extension of your being, whereas it can be a life long task to make another mans belief system your own.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
To kind of add to this thread, a theory was brought to my attention. Now - I know that Christianity took a lot of elements from the old religions before it became popular and started stifling other religions. The question that came up is what if magick and stuff like that was really prevalent back then and had a strong influence/impact on day to day lives and the like, but slowly faded away as Christianity rose? What if now, our focus is turned so far inward into hard science and technology that we just fail to see the things that happen?

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Psychic abilities are (from my experience) real, but most people are better at faking it.
Psychics with phenomenal and noticeable ability are usually called fakes, but this is ironic, because most famous 'psychics' no one could prove wrong turned out to be fakes. An exception being Uri Geller. The greater the power, usually, the more people will see it as fake. Psychic power is a force akin to irrationality and instinct, the more logical you are, the less psychic you will seem to be. Psychic abilities are present in everyone, but those who rely on logic, as I said, have less control. An example is some African tribes rely on shamans, who's knowledge seems unattainable from it's location (like telling what the explorers hunted before they came back to the shaman; an actual account). Some people believe that psychic power came from Atlantis, and these same people also believe Lincoln is an alien with a hypnotizing-ray satellite in his hat.

Now magi-kuh. With that weird K.
I refuse to pronounce magik magi'k'. Because I'm silly, I will always say magikuh. Anyway, 'magikuh' is a touchy subject. Some believe that it comes from 'THE DEVIL' (insert spooky musikuh), and that is partly true. A demon posing as Satan the Liar will come if someone asks to sell their soul for something. Let's say Bob. Bob wants to have magikuhal powers and sells his soul for it. Easy way out, I know, but let's analyze whats happening here:

-Bob is pleading for 'something' from what, in his mind, is a granter of wishes.
-Whether an actual demon goes out of his way to see him or not, Bob now totally believes he has sold his soul for magikuhal powers.
-Complete illogical devotion and belief to something is a kind of trigger for paranormal psychic phenomena, utilizing the lower back part of the brain.
-The back part of the brain is used to create spinal fluid, mainly near the third ventrical of the brain, but has been shown to activate psychic abilities.
-Paranormal phenomena caused by the back of the brain changing reality, mostly by changing the way Bob sees things, reaffirms to him that he has magikuhal powers.
-The reaffirmation of his 'power' only makes the phenomena around him stronger because he believes it strongly. Now other people observe this, and you have a whole mess of energy that is making Bob stronger.
-This affect continues to insanity, fame, being avoided by superstitious people, going to hell for trying to sell your soul in the first place, and being on talk shows.

I would say more... but I'm slowly inching toward 4000 characters. And besides, I'm NOT the divinative source for this kind of information even if I make myself out to be. I'm stating things I have learned over a long period of time studying the same things, and I feel I have at least a logical conclusion. Your opinion? Ehh, who knows.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mf_luder
To kind of add to this thread, a theory was brought to my attention. Now - I know that Christianity took a lot of elements from the old religions before it became popular and started stifling other religions. The question that came up is what if magick and stuff like that was really prevalent back then and had a strong influence/impact on day to day lives and the like, but slowly faded away as Christianity rose? What if now, our focus is turned so far inward into hard science and technology that we just fail to see the things that happen?

heheh, someday, you might read through the bible, and say to yourself, 'wow, this is just a deeply encoded grimoire'.
Maybe if we understood what the magi's were playing with, we would then understand how one can say whatever they want, using any collection of stories or any linear wording they please.
It seems to be an analogy for perception, "dont take anything at face value; read between the lines; define realities numerical allegory".

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Hmmm..I have seen two healings that could be called miraculous or maybe even magical. I was present for both of them. Both quite different in some respects and pretty similar in others.

One healing was in a pagan circle. One was in a pentacostal Christian church where people spoke "in tounges" when they were "in the spirit."

One group would have said the other were a bunch of hate filled, narrow minded zelots.

One group would have said the other were a bunch of devil worshipers bound for the fires of hell.

Each group would have been wrong about the other in my opinion.

However, the two groups had a some very remarkable similarities if you stepped back and looked at it.

Both groups wanted do to something good. Both groups believed with all their heart and soul that this healing not only could be done, but that it *would* be done. Likewise, both groups put every single ounce of that belief and fervor into it and it worked.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Both are quite real. I practice majick and have had great success with it, including a protection spell on my home before a hurricane (Wilma) and mine was the only house within miles to suffer absolutely no damage.

I regularly see a psychic, and she is always dead on. I have friends who see the same woman, and she is always dead on with them as well.

Science cannot explain everything (yet). When it comes to the energy of the universe (the power behind majick) and the powers of the mind, science and technology have a long way to go.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Let me pose this theory. I believe that psychic abilties allow magick to exist. I believe that spells and other things of that nature are 'cast' through way of a focusing of our will power toward an end goal. What if one can't exist without the other?

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I can't say I claim to know much about psychic abilities (there is still much controversy about it), I can say a thing or to about magick. Magick tends to be more of a power based in/on Pagan religions, primarily practiced by the Neo-Pagan religion known as Wicca. If you were to ask a scientist (or any Atheist for that matter, not that I'm saying all scientists are Atheists or anything) about magick, they are more then likely going to say that it doesn't exist and there could be many explanations for it. I, myself, believe in magick, but then again that might just be a matter of spiritual beliefs. Science and religion do not mix, that's for sure. =/

Now, if you were to ask about psychic powers, they might actauuly believe in it...or, more likely, say it needs further study.

I believe in psychic powers as well, though. Just saying.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

Many of the more "primitive" peoples of the world rely on psychic or magic abilities. These are the people who left for higher ground before the tsunami hit in Asia in 2004. Everybody has a sixth sense, and we do not use it in today's material world. Children are more in tune with these abilities, but as they grow up, they become ingrained into the "real" world.

There are many frauds out there, but the truth is everyone can tune in to these abilities as they embrace their spiritual sides.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

Well, the bottom line is no-one has ever demonstrated these abilities in a controlled laboratory environment. No-one. Considering the sheer amount of money on offer for someone to do that, not to mention the discovery of hitherto-unknown aspects of the universe, it seems rather strange. Such a ripe, lucrative (both financially and intellectually) apple, dangling, apparently in easy reach, yet it remains unpicked.

I also have to warn you that it is not rational to assume an answer for anything without evidence. Yes, I'm sure you've seen stuff that looked like some kind of psychic ability (I have too), but it is folly to think that it actually is psychic.

For me, and I'd hazard a guess the same goes for anyone being objective about this, I need actual evidence that this stuff is real before I believe it. And anecdotal evidence doesn't count - I'm talking actual objective scientific experiments performed in controlled environments.

join