It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Bible code a hoax or is it real

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Yes I have been reading many Bible codes and what is predicted, but
some Is very hard to understand and could be mis-interped.
All I know is there is supposed to be a great earthquake that will reach
from one side of the earth to the other side. Also I have heard of a huge astroid will hit us in the year 2012. Couldnt the astroid cause this earthquake? or earthquakes?
So in fact whose code is correct? When I search Bible code , most of what
comes up are peole selling books.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
think of it this way if by some freak of nature you became a prophet would you want to warn the world especially if the event could be avoided or would you try to set yourself up for life knowing you really dont have much time left ?

anyone can predict an event i predict that right now on this planet there is currently an earthquake going on.

i predict that the US is going to have tornados

i predict bangladesh is going to get hammered by a huge flood.

next year there is going to be a volcanic eruption.

pretty easy

the difference is when you buy these books and things dont happen on the days predicted can you get your money back?

a good rule of thumb is if there trying to make money off it, its going to be false if they are not trying to make money of it still be very suspicious because they have other motives that are not yet apparent.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Thank You for replying and that does make sense about someone who
is profitting on this subject by selling their books.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazyjames65
Yes I have been reading many Bible codes and what is predicted, but
some Is very hard to understand and could be mis-interped.
All I know is there is supposed to be a great earthquake that will reach
from one side of the earth to the other side. Also I have heard of a huge astroid will hit us in the year 2012. Couldnt the astroid cause this earthquake? or earthquakes?
So in fact whose code is correct? When I search Bible code , most of what
comes up are peole selling books.

I thought the bible code was pretty cool when I first saw it... but then I saw on Discovery how you can take Moby Dick and do the same thing with it. So to be honest I don't know what to believe. I don't understand even how they do it.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Alienmojo

I was about to post the same thing! i saw the same program and a guy used the Bible Code Program and found tons of stuff in Moby Dick.

The way I see it, it's very easy to make prophecies after the event has already occurred, and even easier to make vague predictions. What I like to see in prophetic sources is consistency and detail.... dates, names, stuff like that.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
There many different kinds of codes in the Bible. Micro codes, Macro codes, and Meta codes. Some of them are not even disputed like the "Torah code' which is based on a 7x7 equidistant letter sequence.

A paper was published in 1988 in the scholarly Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, entitled "Equidistant Letter Sequences in the Book of Genesis." In 1994 Israeli mathematicians Eliyahu Rips, Doron Witztum, and Yoav Rosenberg published some landmark articles in the peer reviewed journal Statistical Science that started the current craze.

www.khouse.org...

Now as with any sort of mysterious phenomenon there are always sensationalists that will try to capitalize on it and make a buck so you will find many hokey claims out there. The popular book by Michael Drosnin, The Bible Code, is such a case. Much of what he discusses amounts to using the Bible like a Ouija board.

I believe the Holy Spirit inspired the scriptures and things are encoded to demonstrate the divine authorship and bring glory too God. If you would like a Christian perspective on the legitimate codes check out Chuck Missler's book Cosmic Codes. Those who try to abuse this as some sort of fortune cookie are on the wrong track.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
The "Bible Code" is nothing more than a combination of a parlor trick and the laws of combinatorial statistics. Let me give you an example. I have taken your OP, and used the first 145 letters of it, and placed them in a 29 by 5 matrix.
Because of proportional spacing, it doesn't look like a block, but if you put this in an EXCEL sheet, you can see it clearer. Anyway, this is what the "Bible coders" do. They pick different matrices, then look SOMEWHERE for words, diagonally, vertically, horizontally, or an equal number of spaces apart, FORWARDS OR BACKWARDS. The larger the text, the greater the likelihood that you can find any set of words that you are looking for.

y e s I h a v e b e e n r e a d i n g m a n y b i b l e c
o d e s a n d w h a t i s p r e d i c t e d b u t s o m e
i s v e r y h a r d t o u n d e r s t a n d a n d c o u l
d b e m i s i n t e r p e d a l l i k n o w i s t h e r e
i s s u p p o s e d t o b e a g r e a t e a r t h q u a k

What is my favorite flower? It is a ROSE. Let's look for rose.

On the first line, there is an "e" as the 14th letter.
On the second line, there is an "s" as the 13th letter.
On the third line, there is an "o" as the 12th letter
On the fourth line, there is an "r" as the 11th letter.

................................e
..............................s
............................o
...........................r
In their terminology, the SKIP CODE is 27, that is, there are 27 letters between each of the letters of rose.
There it is. Wow, your post PREDICTED my favorite flower BEFORE you EVEN KNEW ME.
Now you know how the Bible Code works! Have fun.

[edit on 12-11-2008 by ProfEmeritus]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
It's one of those things were there is no simple answer. Personally I think it's not so much a hoax, more as people not really understanding statistics and analysis properly. I've done the tests with Moby Dick too, and from what I understand, Hebrew is a language that lends itself even better to finding these types of things.

So almost all mathematicians will tell you it's not anything to be excited about.
And many mystical/new age type people will tell you it is important.

Neither can truly 'prove' it either way.

The choice is yours, depends who you put your faith in really, science, or mysticism.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
If it were real I woulda figured that the codes would be a bit more significant than they are, like full intricate sentences instead of ambiguous phrases.

If that were the case then it would elevate the bible code above codes from songs and other texts. I mean, going on the methods that are used to get the codes, Robbie Williams made codes, too.

It's kinda like looking at mountain sides and finding faces and general recognisable shapes, but none of the codes are like coming across mount Rushmore, they just aren't that significant.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
It is absolutely certain that the bible codes are nonsense.

You can find anything you want using this method, as shown by the Moby Dick results.

It's no more real than seeing faces in the clouds, or on mars.

K.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Kapyong

Indeed.

It was a good premise for a movie though, The Omega Code was quite entertaining.

But it's just fiction.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I saw the same thing that you can put these codes or some of these codes to both ancient texts and modern books and pull out much the same thing. It doesn't make sense for...lets say god...since god inspired the bible to put these things in codes rather than just tell us. What is the point of that? My opinion ..false.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
The thing about most of these posters claiming it is fiction etc. is that they are only commenting on one type of Bible code. I agree that the people who try to use it as a fortune cookie are off base.

But there is a lot of cryptography in the Biblical text that is legitimate. The Torah code, I linked a video to above is not disputed as legitimate and non coincidental by anyone.

Here is another type of Bible code where the root words for names in a genealogy contain a message.

new topics

top topics

join