It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where's the Justification for this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I'm not a religious person by any stretch of the means. I just want to put that out there first.

Now, I have to wonder with the way we do things in the US, how is it that the Government can justify taking Christian practices, symbols, etc. out of our public education system, but allow other faiths in with their practices and symbols? Are you telling me it's okay for a Muslim to walk out of class 4 or 5 times a day to go pray to the cardinal direction East, but it's not okay to have the ten commandments on the wall? No.

If you are going to take one out - take them ALL out and if there is flak from angry parents, tough crap - tell them to take their kids elsewhere. The "EDUCATION" system is just for that - science, history, etc. I say separate the two for good. That way - no one can yell.

How is this justified? How? Are you telling me your religion is more important than Christianity? Ha! They're all the same! You are using faith to justify your belief in a book, symbol, ideal, God/Goddess, etc. Take all of them out and leave the education in.

This is why I'm non-religious. Too much hypocrisy.

Sorry for my rant.

What do you guys think?

[edit on 12-11-2008 by mf_luder]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I tend to agree with you... what's good for the goose is good for the gander. No exceptions should be made.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Man I think you are absolutely right,
I think religion does not have to be
in school at all.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Glad to see we're in agreement.

I think another good question is wth did my thread post twice?

lol

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
i understand what your saying and in someways i agree goose/gander analogy.

but in someways i think its a good thing, government is a moraless and souless institution and i think using any kind of christian/religeous symbolism to represent these bodies just created an aire of hypocracy where the average joe is expected to use the 10 commandments at least as a guide for social interactions yet the government on a daily basis would brush them a side with impunity and contempt yet preach about how these values and symbols, are representative of how they live their lives. the governments god is the almighty dollar, in someways i find governments invoking my religeon as a standard for themselves to be alittle offensive.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I am honestly torn on this situation. i think that someone praying at school on their own no matter what religion they are is quite different than slapping the ten commandments on the wall. i think the school should remain unbiased and not promote any religion but allow the students free expression of thier chosen religion.

In my high school they used to read passages fron the new testament over the loud speaker on morning announcements. I didnt agree with it then and I dont now either. Granted it was Tennessee and most people were Christians but not all and they had no right forcing any one to listen to that in public school. that being said of course private schools are another story.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
See, you and I think the same way.

But.

That situation has already come up and we've seen the results of it. I can't remember the exact situation, but there was a Jewish child in school somewhere with their "hat" - yamukah? on and they were forced to remove it because it 'offended' others.

That was freedom of expression for that religion, but it was stifled due to the majority - which irks me, because in the same school, there were Muslims with their burkahs on and no one said word one to them about it.

The 10 commandments shouldn't be on the wall and a student shouldn't be allowed to miss class material for prayer time. Do that on your own time.

That is another thing that has to be stopped. Sorry. Wake up. Your religion "isn't" "the" religion. Get over it.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I am closing this thread as it is the exact same as this
thread.

Please add any ore commentary to that thread.

Closed.

top topics

join