It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stock Market Watch - How Low Can It Go?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Taking in all the news of late has started me to thinking that the world as a WHOLE is in BIG, BIG, TROUBLE.

Now with Paulson saying the government wont buy out troubled assets as they promised, and instead will invest in stocks of banks and "other" stocks of companies to help prop up the faltering market, the writing is on the wall to investors.

People around the world are seeing just how dire the situation has become. The stock market is nosediving, and I don't think any amount of "pseudo-promises" or money can prevent us from entering the first WORLDWIDE depression.

In any case, it seems that the drop today might be actually worse than the 777 point loss suffered in September because of light volume.
We shall see if TPTB can prop it up before close by "buying" the stocks of the "solid" performers.

Let's all hope that they can hold their value long enough to make it work.

Stock Ticker

[edit on 12-11-2008 by TH3ON3]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Dow -411.30 - Nasdag -81.69 S&P -46.65

On light volume I would say it was a very bad day.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TH3ON3
Taking in all the news of late has started me to thinking that the world as a WHOLE is in BIG, BIG, TROUBLE.

Now with Paulson saying the government wont buy out troubled assets as they promised....

When did he promise such a thing? They picked a big number and talked about "tools". What makes you think that they are bound to anything other than what their original goal was? Just sayin'.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Change! Change! Yes we Can!

This was a given. Even the black voters who voted him in have figured out he is Arab and doesn't meet the 12.5% legal requirement to be called black or african american. Everyone has figured out they were duped.

We have gone back to 0% confidence just like Bush was doing.

yeah change....

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I had to cut my losses today and sell. My stock went down about 70% in the past couple of weeks. Good thing I didn't put too much into it.

I'm gonna put that money into VeriChip now.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

That's how Bush and his cronies said the $700 billion bailout would be used to take illiquid assetts off banks hands. To free up and give them money to loan to people. Where were you?

And yes -400+points is definately more devistating than september. However the week of October 6th was worse, fell 21%. However we have already dropped 9.3% from the start of this week.

Compared to the market high of 14093.08 set on Oct 12, 2007. We are currently at -41.2%.

But if I had to predict a bottom to all of this? I'd say no lower than 7,500. But I'm not a economist or anything.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Some of the best economist see DOW on 5K in the next 6 month, some say it will grow. Markets are volatile now you never now what can happen. And with all the reports that will come in the next days i'm pretty sure it will finish under 8K this week.

But still you never now. And 700 billions is not even close to protect the economy. US government should protect any firm that has a chance to "die". Costs will be much lower for everybody if government will save them.

The main thing is that there will be time to invest in the next few month.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by djpaec

And where was the Iraqi oil supposed to pay for the reconstruction? What I am saying is, I can't believe that people believe what they say and when it does not happen get mad. Get it in writing, I say.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 12-11-2008 by pluckynoonez]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   

O trust me I know and agree, I was just pointing out for the umpteenth time they have lied to congress and the American people. When the bums are out of office I hope they're fully proscuted.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   

And where was the Iraqi oil supposed to pay for the reconstruction? What I am saying is, I can't believe that people believe what they say and when it does not happen get mad. Get it in writing, I say.

Most people didn't want a bailout in the first place. It was Congress that approved this trash bill not the American people. Yes..our Congress full of Democrats AND Republicans did this.

People need to start blaming their government as a whole and not picking a party to bash because they are ALL CROOKED PRICKS!!!

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by djpaec

O trust me I know and agree, I was just pointing out for the umpteenth time they have lied to congress and the American people. When the bums are out of office I hope they're fully proscuted.

I don't think it was that they lied to Congress, I literally think they are trying to figure this thing our as they go along. When something doesn't work (ex. banks are still not lending despite troubled assets being bought from them), they try something else.

JK

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by leo123

I would like to point you to this:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

That's the thing today it was announced that they are not in fact buying troubleed assets. They lent money to firms, and the like, and in return those firms bought up smaller failing firms.

If you havn't been paying attention to the news(it wasn't even on most news stations), while everyone was focused on the bailout they unilaterally repealled part of the tax code. The tax code said you couldn't get a tax rebate for buying smaller companies(something along those lines).

So it was pretty much a handout to the banks and firms, then giving them a HUGE tax break. Which, in my opinion, borders on treason.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
There is no telling how low it can go,

How far is it propped up at the moment?

What will the government do in the next few weeks? few months? should others come calling.

Investors need confidence in the system to put their assets at risk.

The confidence has been trampled by greed and mismanagement at the corporate level and is now only multiplied by the government sticking their nose in where it should never be in a free market economy.

Complete chaos.

There is no doubt that the market will have low volume, most people have already bailed, and I wouldn't be surprised if alot of the capital was moved to more sheltered destinations, in anticipation of what could come from the next congress.

The bottom has not been reached yet, I honestly don't think it will be reached until the government stops handing out money........

The question is.

Are they going to ?

OR is something else driving this?

If anyone can figure out the angle it is the members here.

What do you say?

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Bernanke is gonna keep printing money until you guys run out of trees...

I'm afraid it's all over....

game ,set ,match

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime

I'm afraid it's all over....

game ,set ,match

bernanke has not been printing that much thru the crisis

only in the last 4 weeks has the base money supply really started to ramp up, but the amount of debt being wiped away is much higher than that (increase) amount for now.

The stock market could go very low near 5 to 6000 IMO. I think it will settle somewhere in the 6000's. One key is to watch and see if people get too skittish about the dollar again, which appears to be completely over bought, which would suggest that some money flows may move out of the bond market and maybe back into stocks as well as into hard assets like Gold, Fine collectibles (art, car's boat's) i.e liquid stuff that reprices up should the dollar (and other currency's tankedy tank tank) TOO volatile to guess, but it appears the most money being made today is in the big swings within the fixed exchange rate system of currency's.

most of the economist see a 6-9 month period of deflation followed by inflation. some think longer deflation , some think disinflation followed by inflation. seems to me like the complexity of the markets and there changes can't be accurately forced into such simple terms or that either / or argument.

[edit on 12-11-2008 by cpdaman]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime

That's Bernanke's genius: The lumber industry would need lots of equipment to cut all of the trees. The massive orders will rejuvenate other type of industries; the demand for GM trucks to haul the trees will save the beleaguered company and its share price will rise thus instituting a great deal of confidence in the market with the Dow hitting the roof at 20,000 points before the year is over.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Stander, your proposition there makes more sense then what I heard at the Congressional hearing...

The Current 52week low is 7,800 something.. -411 points is not worse then several days in Oct, or Sept.. in fact I doubt it is even in the top 10 anymore..

1 year ago -411 points was a big deal.

% is what to watch anymore.

With all the industries conceding recession, they are bracing for one of the worst Christmases on record.. which imo, will be the final straw.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Gotta disagree with you there Rockpuck -411 a year ago with DOW ~14,000 would have been around a 3% move. Today it's a 4.75% move down.

Tres Secretary Paulson (aka Skeletor), had a news conference today. When he or Bush start talking the market pretty reliably tank.

top topics

join