It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Koreans Speak Korean Right?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
This question may sound a little ignorant, but I just wanted to clarify it. S. Koreans and N. Koreans both speak Korean, correct? Some may speak different dialects but yeah.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Yes but they speak the commie version. There aren't enough words and the ones they do have are inadequate. For instance, the only word for color they have is red. Only the military and Kim's regime are allowed the good words. You also have to wait for someone else to finish using a word before you can use it or else it would be unfair.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   
icelid, i hope you're kidding. north koreans do speak korean, nothing is changed, and there aren't restrictions to use certain words, although there are restrictions on certain thoughts and planning, but all countries have that.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I lived in Korea for many years, and this is what I've come to understand about it. It is just like Northern and Southern accents in the US. Some phrases are a little strange, some words are spoken a little funny, with an accent, but it's all the same language.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 07:48 AM
link   
yes, N Koreans speak Korean.
They speak in different dialects than the southern dialects and much of the terminology has not been westernized as it has with the south, but a South Korean can most definitely understand the Korean spoken by a N Korean.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Here's an interesting account of a grad student's trip to the North 1stopkorea.com...~mainframe He speaks fluent Korean and talks of the language differences

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
no my freind north koreans speak north korean

yes of courde the speak korean ,doi

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by deevee
Here's an interesting account of a grad student's trip to the North 1stopkorea.com...~mainframe He speaks fluent Korean and talks of the language differences

Thanks, good link deevee!

Even though all Koreans speak Korean, I had wondered if there were some regional differences. Just about every place had regional dialects of some sort.

Sure enough, the accent was so thick it felt like a different language at first. Even a lot of the words were different, the most important one being the name of the country. In South Korean one says "han-guk," but saying that in the North apparently causes your listener's face to curl up like they've just taken a big suck on a lemon.

No doubt the regional difference has grown larger due to the separation between north and south.

But besides that, I like Korean accents. I once had a physics teaching assistant who spoke with a very heavy Korean accent. Weez tuddy lot o pidjick.

top topics

join