It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay couples can start to marry in Connecticut

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Gay couples can start to marry in Connecticut

news.yahoo.com

NEW HAVEN, Conn. – A judge cleared the way Wednesday for gay marriage in Connecticut, a victory for advocates stung by California's referendum that banned same-sex unions in that state.

Minutes after a judge entered a final ruling, the New Haven city clerk's office issued its first marriage license to a gay couple. It went to Barbara and Robin Levine-Ritterman of New Haven, one of the eight couples who successfully challenged a state law prohibiting gay marriage.

"It's a great day for Connecticut," Robin Levine-Ritterman said after a brief hearing in court.

Others couples planned to celebrate by immediately marching to New Haven City Hall to get marriage licenses. At least one ceremony was scheduled Wednesday morning on the New Haven green.

The judge's order marks "the end of a very long journey toward equality," plaintiffs' attorney, Bennett Klein, said earlier. "Each of the plaintiffs asked me to convey to the court how proud they are to be citizens of this state."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
This just goes to show that just because Proposition 8 squeaked through, it doesn't mean that GBLT advocates have given up the fight.

I have a feeling that within twenty or so years, this will no longer even be an issue and most states will have followed suit.

Every year, more and more young people will join the cause of marriage equality whilst most of the opponents continue to grow older and die out.

It will be a long difficult fight, but I am very sure that love and peace will win out.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
good!!

A step in the right direction for human kind.

Kudos to Connecticut (did I spell that right?
)

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I love to see stuff like this.

More and More I am wondering why, in the east coast of all places, we are becoming more socially liberal.

So we have Conn allowing gay marriage, Mass too

We also got Medical Marijuana passed in Michigan and Mass!

I love this new world!

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I would be very unsurprised to see Marijuana decriminalized in most of the US soon. I would think that Tobacco grower lobbyist groups are the main delaying factor.

[edit on 12-11-2008 by round_eyed_dog]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by round_eyed_dog
I would be very unsurprised to see Marijuana decriminalized in most of the US soon. I would think that Tobacco grower lobbyist groups are the main delaying factor.

[edit on 12-11-2008 by round_eyed_dog]

That and DuPont.

Although I wonder if they are still as militant about it as they were when they first invented nylon.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I'm so glad this happened! With the heartbreak of Prop 8, this shows that forward progress is being made.

I also think Prop 8 will be reversed and I hope more states take up the cause of equal rights for all!
Every time people have had to fight for their rights, it's not pretty... But it's worth it!

It is strange that the East Coast is more progressive than the left... Hmmm...

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
It's wonderful to see love winning a battle for a change. Congrats to all involved and keep fighting!

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Hopefully it's one of many. Events like this push us toward a future, while not Utopia, will be a more loving world in which to raise my daughter.

top topics

join