It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask Me A Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Ask me a question and I'll give my thoughts on it. My visions of it. Not visions of the future but rather thoughts and dreams.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
were oranges the fruit named because of their colour or was the colour named because it matched the fruit?

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   

were oranges the fruit named because of their colour or was the colour named because it matched the fruit?

Well this ain't really the kind of question i was expecting. It's kind of too much... specific.

Anyway, you're looking from a very narrow-minded perspective. What makes you think that it's like that for all languages? Maybe in western Europe there weren't many orange things in nature and oranges were the more obvious with such color in such a way they ended up with the same name?

Possible i guess. True orange is a rare color f you think about it. And the fruit is the real orange the orange as you know it. Oranges are so deeply related with the color, they are such representation of the color, that maybe that's the cause they ended up with the name.

Most other colors in the rainbow are far more common. You have all kinds of greens all kinds of blues, dark blues and purples, yellows, etc, etc. But real orange is rare. Even "Fire Orange" is completely different.

Anyway there are a million different colors besides the basic ones. And among those the reason why you pay more attention to some colors over another another ones is most likely due to such colors being more familiar to you.

The reason why Red is more popular than Beige is simply because it's more familiar and a more common color in nature.

I bet the term "Beige" is way more recent than "Red". Red is a color. And Beige is also a color but it's so much less evident in nature i bet in the past they would refer to it as "Old White" or "Dirty White". Understand what i mean?

What's your opinion?

[edit on 12-11-2008 by NinterX]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Why?

To prevent myself from being slapped for a one worder, why does a stream of electrons/matter act like a particle when shot through a slit but when being shot through a double slit it acts like a wave? And when being measured (observed) being shot through a double slit start acting like a particle again? Does the electron/matter know its being observed or measured? If so, how? What is causing it to behave differently when being observed/measured?

Other than that my question is simply - Why? The answer better be good, dang it...

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
you just said questions. i asked a question.

my opinion on oranges is that orange is not a colour, in the same way that lemon or lime isn't a colour, it is simply a shade, like lemon yellow or lime green.

it is only classed as a colour because it is a shade half way between yellow and red. it can't be referred to as orange red or orange yellow in the way that we refer to lemon yellow or lime green. lemon is very firmly yellow, lime is very green. orange is a little more ambiguous.

so, the colour's named after the fruit.

but, thinking about questions like this are more revealing philosophically than the standard question, i'm asking you to question both the nature of colour and the nature of language, which are a big chunk of reality when combined.

[edit on 12/11/08 by pieman]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Why?

To prevent myself from being slapped for a one worder, why does a stream of electrons/matter act like a particle when shot through a slit but when being shot through a double slit it acts like a wave? And when being measured (observed) being shot through a double slit start acting like a particle again? Does the electron/matter know its being observed or measured? If so, how? What is causing it to behave differently when being observed/measured?

Why? Because i want to do it. Obvious. What else? If I didn't want to give my opinion on subjects i wouldn't.

As for the second question, does a stream of electrons/matter act like a particle when shot through a slit but when being shot through a double slit it acts like a wave?

Do you understand the concept of matter? And wave? I mean really understand it?

Can you feel quantic mechanics? Can you feel them? They're only real as long as you can feel it. As long as you perceive that to be the reality. And if you do feel it, then let them be. Why are you trying to set a logic on it? The answer for your question is the most simple:

It's the same reason why there are rocks outside. It just is. Quantic mechanics might seem illogical but thats because you got to familiar with your reality and now you feel you must bring everything else into that reality, into the logic of your reality. You try to understand them but you are not looking nor making the right questions.

Electrons do that because yes. Why not? In fact, they probably do the opposite as well. And everything in between... and outside. Everything is doable. Everything exists. Nothing is created. Nothing is lost. Everything is. And it has always been there. Like a picture. It's only your objective to admire it. And it's far more fulfilling to feel the painting than to analyze it and give it a meaning. Because when you look for a meaning you do it unavoidably with a closed mind, because you unavoidably have a lot of setted ideas and dogmas in your head which will filter your Analysis therefore always giving a false or fallacious response or at best an answer not quite close to the truth but possibly correct... like a million other possible correct answers for the same question.

So just feel it and you go straight to the source. Truth is not in words. Truth is what it is. It is that what you feel.

The truth is out there for you to feel it, not to understand it. That's an empty meaningless exercise because all answers you'll get are suppositions and subjective responses to reality.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

so, the colour's named after the fruit.

I meant it that way although after reading my post again it seems i mean the opposite in some parts.

My point was, since Oranges are the more obvious and more notorious "orange" in the zone (I'm south european), when Humanity finally had the necessity to express the color they used the name of the fruit.

When i say Humanity I'm obviously only referring to those who use the same name for the color and fruit

In fact, since we've been eating and communicating before we were capable to develop and express abstract notions, it's natural that they needed a name for the fruit way before a need for the color appeared.

Colors only exist as long as you see them. Those who had never seen an "orange color" like "orange fruit" can't know what color it is.

In fact, "Fire" might have been the closest to live orange in many places in pre history. While in other places it was a common plant. But in the end all such oranges are different, none of them are the same color. Your perception of reality is unique. Different from any other human on Earth who as ever lived and that there is to live.

You call it whatever you want. In fact you can't even prove you are actually seeing the same color as everybody else. Maybe your reds are my oranges and my oranges are your reds. Maybe my reds and oranges simply do not exist in your color vocabulary. They are alien to you. Outside your world yet strong in mine.

Like oil and vinegar in a dish. You're oil I'm vinegar. We acknowledge each other. However there's no way you'll ever feel my texture. You simply cannot enter my reality.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Hmm, how is that the meaning of life is so simple to define it can be done in one word? Yet so complex to explain, it's difficult to do in one lifetime?

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
what am I???

top topics

join