It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why we fight the Taleban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
It's easy to forget what the Taleban stand for in Afghanistan, and what they have stood for in the past. Recently I've found myself being persuaded by the inclusion argument, that we should be aiming to hold talks with them to form an inclusive government where everyone has a say. Sounds simple, and it would surely bring peace to the region... right?

This would work if there was no such thing as evil in humanity, if everyone had fundamentally good (but sometimes misguided) intentions - which we in the West love to believe is the case, because it helps us make sense of the world.

But unfortunately that's not the case and sometimes we need a wake-up call to remind us of the level of inhumanity people are capable of.

Here's one such example: news.bbc.co.uk...

I'm not a neo-con by any stretch of the imagination, but things like this give the whole issue a new perspective for me, which is why I wanted to share it and hear opinions.

I'm sure there will be replies such as "The US bombs civilians in Pakistan and Syria, there's no difference" - but I for one know that there is a difference. When the US kills civilians it's an accident (the US also managed to kill British troops during the Gulf War), and I would challenge anyone to prove otherwise.

There is no way on Earth this could in any way be described as accidental. This was an horrific, deliberate and malevolant attack on innocent young women who happen to not share these peoples' ideologies.

That's why we fight the Taleban, and that's why we shouldn't stop until they give up. And I for one am grateful to the NATO troops that are giving up their lives on a daily basis to stop them.

join