It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police vet live music, DJs for 'terror risk'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Police vet live music, DJs for 'terror risk'

www.theregister.co.uk

A dozen London boroughs have implemented a "risk assessment" policy for live music that permits the police to ban any live music if they fail to receive personal details from the performers 14 days in advance. The demand explicitly singles out performances and musical styles favoured by the black community: garage and R&B, and MCs and DJs.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.billboard.biz

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Another crackdown on 'terrorism' I suppose. I'd say this is more evidence of being babied by a nanny state, but then again, even children are usually allowed to sing without getting a slapped wrist.

Another related article here:
www.billboard.biz...

www.theregister.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   

In response, Detective Superintendent Dave Eyles from the Met's clubs and vice office told us that 10,000 such Risk Assessments would be processed this year. He said they weren't compulsory:

"We can't demand it - we recommend that you provide it as best practice. But you're bloody silly if you don't, because you're putting your venue at risk."

I can't believe this quote. So they're not compulsory, police can't demand them, but they can cancel the event without one? And who is your venue at risk from? The Police??

As a DJ this is scary. If the police feel that certain types of music attract certain people that can cause problems, then deal with those people. The artists isn't responsible for the crowd. Taking down the details of every artist that's playing at a venue 14 days in advance isn't going to solve anything.

This means that more than likely the police will also start to dictate the type of artists they would prefer to play.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Cythraul

To quote a line from The Prodigy's 'Jilted Generation'...

"**** them and their law"

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Cythraul

It seems that music is a major target for the Police in England. They are trying to bring in a new set of laws allowing charges to event organiser to be levied by the Police as well. This will also apply to football matches and other events including charity events.

At present a small Football League team called Hereford United are being threatened by their local police authority with such charges and unless the Police backdown it could end up in the High court.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Well I guess it's true what they say, music is a weapon.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
This really disturbed me.

"Live music is now a threat to the prevention of terrorism",

"Music promotions attract people who have a propensity to use violence. That's not speculation".

Source

WTF??!?!?!

I am sick of terrorism being used as a means to destroy freedoms

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
This making me wonder if we are slipping back to a time of Cromwell's England

What's next? The banning of christmas because giftwrapped presents could be bombs in disguise?

new topics

top topics

join