It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange 'hearing' thing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   
First off, I have a sneaking suspicion this is in the wrong place and I'm sorry if it is. My girlfriend just pointed out a weird thing I do that I haven't really noticed myself. Whenever a loud noise is about to occur, I seem to react about two seconds before the 'boom'. Come fourth of July I am usually pretty on edge and I flinch BEFORE a firework goes off down the street. A transistor (I think it's called) has been acting up down the street and whenever it does I am on my feet before it happens. I just did it again today when a car backfired, and my girlfriend told me it was starting to freak her out. I don't really believe in the psychic stuff, so I am thinking this may be some weird thing with my ears. Any thoughts?

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Raustin,

Certainly an interesting occurance you have there. While I'm in no position professionally or otherwise to offer you advice as to what might be happening, I think we could discuss this here in greater detail to hopefully uncover some plausible reasons for why it occurs. Or maybe not, but here's my take on things:

I think we can rule out a visual response triggering it to happen, because you can't always necessarily 'see' a car back-firing, nor have you claimed to actually 'see' anything before the ''boom'' occurs.

Light travels faster than sound and so if you were exceptionally sensitive to light, moving entities or vectors, you're likely to respond the 10th - 100th of a second more rapidly as opposed to those who are not very sensitive. In which case, your reaction would therefore be a subconscious trigger. This would take place in the right hand side of the brain where fundamental active and reactive processes are triggered. Should this happen, your brain would then be telling you to prepare yourself for what visual stimulii it has just registered. You would likely crouch, duck or cower into the more prone foetal position. Again, we can rule that out.

What I'd like to know is if you physically hear a sound, or resonance leading up to, during and after the ''boom'' takes place.

I'd be very interested to know if you could describe what happens in detail. Hopefully, a few others here could offer an opinion.

Failing that, you could always try TheNakedScientist as an option?

PEACE

BAZ

P.S. You might wish to disclose what you think it might be, despite all logic it's sometimes good to go with a gut feeling, the intuition and instinct. You'll be surprised what amazements you'll find.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Thanks for responding! I NEVER see what makes the noise. In the case of the car, it was about two cars behind me, and after I heard it I looked. This is what happens, the first second my ears ring, then it goes away, then it feels like air rushes past my ears, then the actual noise happens. I just asked my Parents if they remembered me doing this and they each told me (they have been long divorced) that loud noises seemed to startle me before the noise. Apparently (I do not recall this), I used to jump a few seconds before a thunderclap. I would have thought this was a mental delayed reaction to the sound, except that I have had three people tell me I react before the noise now. All I asked my parents was if I was ever weird about sound. I did not even hint at what my girlfriend said. I think I need to ask some old friends about it too. I really never noticed this, I thought it was normal. Any more thoughts? I have no idea what it is. Is there a chance I just have really good hearing or something?

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Raustin, that's very interesting indeed. I still maintain that I cannot give you any valid explanation as to what this is, how exactly it happens nor why you react / respond in the way that you do.

I myself have never claimed to posess any specific or special abilities with any media in any way, but I'm very confident that some people genuinely do have (or more correctly put), experience abnormal patterns.

I'm baffled, I truly am. Perhaps I'm being naive, but maybe you should look upon it as a positive thing rather than negative? Has it ever consciously caused or been a catalyst into bringing harm toward you or anyone else? If not - it can only be a benefit?

Thanks for your general description in your response, I happen to find it very intriguing. If you can explain more, please do so. Maybe somewhere along the lines, someone on this forum wil pick up on what you're describing and be able to relate to it.

PEACE

new topics

top topics

join