It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fractal Universe? Look at a brain cell compared to the universe...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I honestly haven't studied the topic very much but it does seem to strike a chord with me. The idea of a fractal universe is in interesting one. Looking at the way that electrons orbit a nucleus, in a similar fashion to how the planets orbit the sun. There are many examples and I am sure that there are many people on this board who are much better at describing it than I am.

I just found this and thought it was a fascinating example of the theory.

1.bp.blogspot.com...

it looks like the picture got cropped out, so here is another link from the Virgo consortium that generated the universe simulation.

Yes, the picture of the galaxy is just a simulation but it was created by astrophysicists to simulate how the universe grew, not to simulate a brain cell.

An international group of astrophysicists used a computer simulation last year to recreate how the universe grew and evolved.

Anyways, little things like this fascinate me.

Please click the main link so you can see the two side by side.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Although I agree it's intriguing, and certainly possible, I can almost guarantee this theory has been discussed at least once, in great detail, on this forum.

Its a very popular, and relatively old idea. I don't think the intention of this following video was to imply this theory, but said video certainly reinforces the theory, now that you look back on it.

Also, if you remember the scene in the MIB movie, with the cat's pendant? Thats related to this fractal universe theory too.

[edit on 11/12/2008 by prototism]

[edit on 11/12/2008 by prototism]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by prototism

I am sure that the fractal nature of reality has been discussed. I am not sure that it has been discussed in relation to a neuron though. If it has, I have no problem with this getting locked.

Odds are people simply won't respond to it anyways, so no harm no foul.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Maybe its time for a new one?

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
That's what Nassim Haramein talks about in this video.
Really fascinating stuff.
Amazing to see it side by side too.
Thanks

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I think we live in a Mandelbrot, or rather that existence is a Mandelbrot.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

And here's a link for those unfamiliar with the work of Benoit Mandelbrot - Mandelbrot set

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by thebox

Thanks, I was a little confused! I have a feeling I'm going to be reading all day...

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Great topic
and one that fascinates me as well. Not to say I understand much of it.

Originally posted by Karlhungis
Looking at the way that electrons orbit a nucleus, in a similar fashion to how the planets orbit the sun.

And not to nit pick, but actually it's no longer believed that electrons orbit a nucleus likea planet. It's all very quantum, Heisenberg uncertainty etc.

Good link.

I keep hoping to be able to set aside enough time to be able to really get into Penrose's book, The Road to Reality. But it ain't happening anytime soon.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Thanks for the links and for pointing out my ignorance. Nothing like flaunting your ignorance for the world to see!

I will try to get through those links in the near future.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Hmmm. I guess you could actually take two different paths in this inquiry, if, in fact, they are different.

The Fractal path would seem to imply the deeper you go, the more likely you'll come across something new but identical to that which is closer to you.

While, if I understand Holograms correctly, if you cut a Hologram in half, and shined a laser on only one half of the film, the entire image could still be re-created from the part.

While I admit the fractal idea that you've presented is intriguing, I suggest an alternate theory: That the smallest parts of our own existence could be used to reconstruct our own universe, not that it leads to worlds within worlds.

Of course, neither is provable, but both are good food for thought.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

Yes, I like the holographic universe theory as well. It is an excellent book too.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

There aren't enough hours in a day to catalogue my ignorance. It was a minor point and I probably shouldn't even have mentioned it. I've now exhausted the extent of my knowledge of the fractal universe and quantum physics.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
reply to post by JoshNorton

Yes, I like the holographic universe theory as well. It is an excellent book too.
Yeah, I know I've got the book around somewhere but it's probably been 20 years since I've read it, so I didn't want to try to recreate its argument in too much detail... just going from my own memory and what little I know about holograms.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I love these concepts but anything even hinting at quantumish theories tend to give me headaches

Nassim Haramein is a pretty nice start to grasp even a little of the concept. He even postulates that everyone/thing is essentially a black hole or something. So if you look deep enough inside of yourself you could explore the universe. Pretty mind-boggling.

Something like this.

He made movie about it but i haven't been able to find it anywhere. Wich make me think it could be so true it is being supressed, but that is the conspiracy theorist in me

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
This is a sorted little video which also makes the Braincell Universe connection. A tour through our reality...

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I like Nassim,he does seem a bit *out* there,but i like a dot within a dot within a dot.Thats why i think the LHC wont discover the higgs boson or fundamental particle for mass.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Good video

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I was gonna say go look up Nassim Haremein but I see two people already beat me too it.

I've had that fractal universe concept bouncing around in my brain since my teenage years experimenting with '___' and DXM. Years later when I watched some of Nassim Haremeins lectures it really really struck a chord of absolute truth for me.

I once had this experience in which i lived my whole life from beginning to end again and again like a hall of mirrors in which my whole life appeared before me in its entirety but also stretched off infinitely. I saw the beginnings which I could not normally remember and all that would come beyond the present leading up to my death. It felt like deja vu but it lasted for several hours. Very mind blowing.

we are 3 dimensional beings. to become 4 dimensional we would need to be able to touch upon any point of our existence in time at will. disregarding our concept of a past and a present and experiencing a lifetime in its entirety as a single indivisible moment. At that moment I felt truly 4th dimensional.

check out this video. It will help you understand what I'm talking about.

"we can only see 3 dimensional cross sections of our 4th dimensional self"

It all seems far fetched and unbelievable if you've never had any experiences to hint at the bigger picture of extra dimensions and fractal reality. Those of us who are more adventurous with chemicals and think outside of the box have a far easier time seeing the fractal multidimensional universe for what it is.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

I would say that existence can be mimicked by a mandelbrot, existence is self similar but maybe not mathmatically determinant as zz*z+c...the universe seems more loosy goosy than the images you find in a mandelbrot though it is infinitly complex and so is the universe ,but the universe haveing possibly 12 dimensions allows for an infinite flux of complexity even in time outside of time outside of time, a mandelbrot, from a certain perspective, simply doesnt compare.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join