Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Chris Matthews Calls Africa a "Country"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
This is absolutely PRICELESS. Here is Chris Matthews poking fun and aiming ridicule towards Governor Palin, for her "alleged" lapse in Geographical Knowledge, yet he ends up actually perpetrating the very mistake which he so intends to blame on Palin.

Also, he failed in Properly Identifying the Nations of Africa. He claims that Africa has "57 Nations", when in Reality there are 53 African Nations.

I wonder, does he learn his Geography from the same book as Obama? Remember, it was Obama who claimed that the United States was composed of 57 States.

Anyways, do not get too worked up over this, this is just ironic and quite humorous :

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Who cares if he messes it up on accident or not, hes not the one that was running for Vice President, Palin was

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen
This is absolutely PRICELESS. Here is Chris Matthews poking fun and aiming ridicule towards Governor Palin, for her "alleged" lapse in Geographical Knowledge, yet he ends up actually perpetrating the very mistake which he so intends to blame on Palin.

I agree. This is funny and ironic

Also, he failed in Properly Identifying the Nations of Africa. He claims that Africa has "57 Nations", when in Reality there are 53 African Nations.

Come on, did you know this yourself prior to this video?
Well, I for one did not. I might have back when I was schoolin...

You know what is even funnier, Egypt would agree with Chris!
They (Egypt's Government at least) are trying to distance themselves from Africa.

I wonder, does he learn his Geography from the same book as Obama? Remember, it was Obama who claimed that the United States was composed of 57 States.

I don't remember that no. I do remember him joking about it once though

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
The exact quote:

57or so

So he was four off and it sounded like he phrased the commentary as a “more or less” comment. I'm missing the gotcha aspect of this post...I don’t see how that is comparable to a VP not knowing Africa is not a country (I’m not sure I even believe that story).

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I agree--this wasn't quite the "gotcha" I was anticipating. It seems pretty clear that he misspoke and immediately corrected himself, rather than an honest lack of awareness of Africa's status as a continent.

With regards to the number of countries: well, that isn't exactly a mistake to be too terribly embarrassed by. Very few people would know the precise number of African countries, though he obviously should have checked that out before going to air.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Well, based on these startling revelations, I would no longer consider Chris Matthews a viable candidate for Vice President of the United States. Maybe he can hit the books and run again in 2012 though.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Every time I watch Chris Matthews, I expect him to spin out of control and scream Ehhhhhhhh Ahhhhhhh Uhhhhhhh!!!" right before his head explodes.

The guy is wound so tight you'd need a tractor to pull a pin out of his butt!

He needs some more leg-tingling...

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

The show is called Hard Ball. No doubt they were looking for a man of his disposition

I think Bill O'Reilly is just as prone to head explosions! I still can't get over the video of his 'freak out'

[edit on 12-11-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by jsobecky

The show is called Hard Ball. No doubt they were looking for a man of his disposition

I think Bill O'Reilly is just as prone to head explosions! I still can't get over the video of his 'freak out'

yea I remember that show!!!
I think they showed it on TPM tv or something... I tell ya, what was going through "O'Really's" head?

Seriously though that dude has got to start allowing his guests to talk if he wishes to actually have a debate

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   
For your viewing pleasure......

RATED R FOR ADULT LANGUAGE AND IRRATIONAL BEHAVIOR

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen
Well, I can't say this is all that important.
I wasn't planning on voting for Chris Mathews anyway.
(Despite finding him more attractive that Palin.)

Now when can Democrats vote in this election?
I'm still getting daily emails saying I can't vote until tomorrow.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Africa has 53 nations, now. But you realize that Africa is not stable. With generals overthrowing governments and warring nations and so forth it could be a toss up. Probably why he said "57 or so" since next week it could be 57, or 47.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

Well, that was more of a slip than it was a mistake. He clearly meant to say continent and even fixed it afterwards.

However, what it does show, is that everyone makes mistakes when conveying information they understand. Obama's mistake about the states didn't leave this board for months so it felt good seeing the conservative messiah Palin do it also.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by GamerGal
Africa has 53 nations, now. But you realize that Africa is not stable. With generals overthrowing governments and warring nations and so forth it could be a toss up. Probably why he said "57 or so" since next week it could be 57, or 47.

You are probably right. In the end though I don't think anyone really cares enough about Africa to really make a difference.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AndrewTB

Anyone and any Government, are two wholly different ideas

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by southern_Guardian

Seriously though that dude has got to start allowing his guests to talk if he wishes to actually have a debate

Keep that in mind and watch this if you haven't already. Steven Colbert on the O'Reilly Factor. Colbert dominates the conversation
and never breaks character:

Originally posted by Steven Colbert
What I do is I catch the World in the headlights of my Justice

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Matthews is a moron.

Over the years (mostly since the election started)

he has become a raging liberal.

just a real nasty guy. a gotchya type.

reading a prompter...playing that role.

every one of them reads a prompter. so you shouldnt be mad at matthews so much as MSNBC's writers.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConservativeJack
Matthews is a moron.

he has become a raging liberal.

just a real nasty guy. a gotchya type.

You do see the blaring dissonance between these two statements right?

reading a prompter...playing that role.

every one of them reads a prompter. so you shouldnt be mad at matthews so much as MSNBC's writers.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
This thread is a joke.

Matthews slips up, corrects himself, and now gets criticized for it? The OP must have a lot of time on his/her hands.

And then, the OP says this ridiculous statement:

Remember, it was Obama who claimed that the United States was composed of 57 States.

Hmmm, let's see here:

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
claim
   /kleɪm/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [kleym] Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object)
1. to demand by or as by virtue of a right; demand as a right or as due: to claim an estate by inheritance.
2. to assert and demand the recognition of (a right, title, possession, etc.); assert one's right to: to claim payment for services.
3. to assert or maintain as a fact: She claimed that he was telling the truth.
4. to require as due or fitting: to claim respect.

So, I'm assuming that the OP was thinking of the 3rd definition when using the word 'claim' in that last quote, and as we can see, that definition does NOT fit when Obama said '57 states'. A slip of the tongue is NOT 'claiming', it's a slip-up.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
You know, that particular O'Reilly explosion (I'm sure that's what he'd like us to call it) is when I really began to see him for the deliciously exuberant man he is. Some may call it a tantrum, but I see it as an expression of his great passion, his righteous, godly passion. There is nothing quite like his incensed shouting to really put me in the mood. Bill-O, my sweet love, if you're reading this, take me now!

Just channeling my inner Ann Coulter (we've all got one).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join