It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, if going into the wilderness is not an option...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Hey. I am currently still living with my parents (still in high school) and will be for the next two years. Then after that, I am headed straight to college.
I don't have a steady income and have no way to stock up on food or buy stuff to go out into the wilderness or anything.
So I am wondering, since when 2012 comes around I am going to be in a big city learning college stuff, what do I to survive?? Like, is there any sort of survival things I can do for myself so that even if I don't pack up and move to somewhere remote that I can prepare?
I am sure there are others who, like me, don't have the option of just packing up their lives and leaving.
What advice do you guys have for me?

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by difsjf

Convince your parents that they need to be prepared for some unforeseen event. Get them to prepare for you and your family. Then, make sure you have the resources necessary to make it back to your parents home in the event the SHTF and you are still alive. If you are lucky, you may be able to simply drive back home. However, I would be prepared to backpack your way home if necessary.

That being said, personally, I have recently begun to believe that in the event of some 2012 apocalypse, most of us will die and perhaps those who don't, no matter how well prepared, will wish they had died. However, just in case I am wrong, I will do my best to follow the boy scout motto and "be prepared." More than likely, 2012 will come and go without the forewarned apocalypse.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I would recommend getting a large sturdy backpack and filling it with as much as you can. Water, food (ramen, canned goods, backpacking stuff), medical supplies, toiletries, medicine, clothes (warm ones) you can put together a good survival pack fairly cheap. Just google it and you will find thousands of disaster kit ideas. If you're broke, fill it up over time. It may just pay for itself and then some in the near future. Best of luck and keep up the grades!

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Don't worry about 2012,concentrate on your studies

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Concentrate on your studies. If nothing ever happens, you have wasted a golden chance to change your life in your youth.

With that being said, you should be able to put together a modest BOB or backpack with little expense. Start with the basics and as time and money permit add to it. Area maps back home would be a good idea, finding away back while keeping away from major roads. If you can find others in your schools that are like minded, the ability to pool knowledge/resources may be worth considering.

Last, I would suggest picking up a copy of the SAS urban survival handbook. I dont have that particular copy, but everything else he's written is spot on fantastic.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
It is not what you have but what you know that will keep you safe and alive. Yes keep up your studies, but learn other things as well. I recommend books by Duncan Long, Ragnar Benson, Tom Brown, for starts. Follow the survival threads here and at simplesurvival.com. There is much to be learned. Read up on classical combat tactics, medicine, farming, blacksmithing. Basic ingenuity will get you farther than equipment and supplies. What is in your head cannot be taken away.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Hey thanks to all of you. I definitely will keep a backpack but I am NOT going to not concentrate on my studies.
That's kinda why I asked the question - because I am not about to give up going to college to be prepared for an event that might not occur.
I just want to be able to get somewhat ready just in case, even if nothing ends up happening.
Thank you all!

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 04:49 AM
link   
focus on you work but every chance you get make runs to your local army surplus shop and stock up bit by bit. also, have an escape plan just in case.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by difsjf

You will do the same you are doing right now to survive. 2012 will be no different from 2008.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Your other option, assuming u live i a major city, Again get a job and stock up as best you can. When Sit_X happens go underground. Im sure that whatever city your in has a subway system as well as sewer and addanboned tunnels where the homless live. Go down with them.

new topics

top topics

join