It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

people showing up for job interviews in unprofessional attire

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

fair enough, and you have a really good point. but im trying to rebel here darn it, stop changing my mind....

you probably are right in all fairness, and given a good oppurtunity i would probably put on some slacks and what not. but only for you

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by pureevil81

By all means. No pants is not an option.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

No pants is not an option.

party pooper, thats my bread and butter

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I'll have the salad.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
never gone into a job dressed super nice, had a nice dresy shirt with the sleeves rolled up and first three buttons unbuttoned, a pair of black dickies and some Nikes.... And always got the job....

I think an employer can see past that if your intelligent, confident, congenial and have a sense of humor.

just my 2 cents

[edit on 11/20/2008 by FoxStriker]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by FoxStriker

thats what im saying man, some people cant get past the superficial though.

it would be horrible to have to look past someones clothing, huh? and get down to who is is being interviewed.

yeahright, im not a waiter, so no salad, and no soup for you.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
If I'm the interviewer and someone shows up dirty, disheveled, or overly casual, they might as well not have bothered to come in. You have to show some initiative, and some desire to put in a little effort. If you can't be bothered to do what it takes to make a good first impression, I've go no place for you.

It's a competition, and if you don't make the effort, you lose.

[edit on 11/20/2008 by yeahright]

That's what I'm saying. If you aren't professional enough to look decent then you're not professional enough to have the job.

I don't know if people forget that it's a competition or they just automatically think they deserve to be hired, or what. Either way it's mind boggling to me.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by sc2099

it depends, personally im in the mindset, if you cant look past the outer and see the inner, you shouldnt be giving job interviews either, within reason of course.

i disagree with you on this one, but what is your definition of " nice " clothing?

all im saying is you should dress for the job you are being interviewed for. if you are being interviewed to be a " joe the plumber " why should you need to dress nice? i dont mean go to the interview in jeans with holes ripped in them, but just regular clothes.

if you are saying people cant do the job if they dont dress all fancy, its just wrong. from personal experience, i got my job dressed in regular jeans and shirt, even wore a hooded sweatshirt. i got the job. it took me 2 years to become supervisor/management...

so dont get me wrong i see your point of view completely. i just want you to see my point of view also.

which im sure you do, from what you describe in the OP, you are exactly right, the baggy jeans and crap......yeah not understandable.

[edit on 22-11-2008 by pureevil81]

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by scooterstrats
My problem with interview attire has cut both ways. I've been rejected (IMO) for overdressing in a great, expensive suit (the interviewer is intimidated that you're dressed better than he/her) or they feel that if you can dress that way, you dont need their job offering. I've tried dressing down (still neat and professional) and wonder if If I was not "professional "enough. Either way, I usually look better than the interviewer. Of course, it all depends on the position applied for.
After saying that, I have no hard clue how to dress anymore as you can screw yourself either way. Its a coin toss. As i am job hunting, any advice appreciated, althoughi thik I use common sense already, depending upon the position.

Thoughts?

To reply to myself, if I may. There a lot of responses here, and I agree with most all of them. I'm curious, what kind of consensus do we have? I'm still looking for a job and still not any clearer on what to wear . Should I resort to the Magic Eight Ball? Are there any hiring manager types on here now??
I think that there may be no real answer to this.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
if its a blue collar job (factory worker, forklift driver etc) then dress simple but neat.

if your going for a white collar job (office job) then usually dressing nicer is the norm.

i had one employer who was all too happy to employ me, but then started to nit pick by giving me elecution lessons everytime i said something in a way in which she deemed not to her standards.

like i had to talk with a stick up my butt and a stiff upper lip. needless to say i didnt stay at that job very long, you dont hire someone and then try make them something they are not especially when they are happy within themselves and a good worker, and got VERY good feedback from customers for his friendly and helpful demeanor

oh, and whinging about your workers diet (consuming soft drinks, not eating fruit n veg with every meal) is going a bit extreme too.

and quit making me feel bad for not hanging back on a friday night and having a chin wag with the old boss lady, i come here for a wage and the sign at the door did not read "super best friends club, apply within".

i like my current boss, even if working in a brick n paver company is a dirty and hard job.
at least i can have a laugh with him, give him a little cheeky stick, he'll give it back... all in good fun and no malice intended.

and he knows when i bail at exactly 3pm that im going home to my family and doesnt expect me to hang back and play the role of a pompous arsehole who sips wine and "talks like this, dear".

[edit on 24/11/08 by Obliv_au]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Part of being a good manager is spotting a diamond in the rough and then recruiting them to your company. While there may be plenty of great workers out there who refuse to dress properly for an interview, they will usually be given a cursory goodbye. And by 'dressing properly' I mean in clothes that are clean, that fit (no sagging pants or rockstar tight jeans), and that in general show that you care about your appearance. They don't have to be on trend, they don't even have to be name brand. But they have to show that you care enough about this job to dress properly for the interview.

Managers have only a couple of minutes to size someone up when they drop off a resume for employment. That's a very short time to ask and answer the questions "Can I see this person working here? Are they a good fit for the company?" This is one reason why you should not only wear appropriate, clean, non-wrinkled clothes to an interview but on resume drop off trips as well. If a manager really likes you they might ask you to interview right then and there and if you're wearing a hoodie and sneakers you might look out of place.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by sc2099

well.....with a sparkling personality like mine, you would never look out of place.....lol...yeah i went there.

i guess your pretty much spot on, just like those darn jehovas witnesses tell me, " its good to put on your best when you go into the lords house" lol.....yeah whatever. we are all entitled to our own views, fortunately that is what this comes down to.

see ya around SC.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Do not expect me to wear dress slacks and a dress shirt to apply for a minimum wage job working fast food, or in a factory, or field labor. Bank teller, business receptionist, sure they need to dress nice, but do not expect nice clothes to show up for a minimum wage engagement.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by sc2099

Well sometimes you meet all qualifications and truly deserve to be hired. Today, companies are too vague on what they expect. I find your post to be a bit pretentious; but i do agree (to a degree). As per my previous post, we jobseekers have no idea what to do. When I've interviewed in an expensive suit in the appropriate situation ( for postiins I am well qualified for), it seems to scare off employers.When I dress more casual (neatly)for more blue collar
jobs, I still look better than the interviewers polo shirt and jeans. I'm lost.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I've been working for this company for a year now and I'll tell you about my job interview.

After several phone conversations I had my prospective employer come to my home because I wasn't going to come to him. I was in a housecoat and well on my way to being drunk, and a razor hadn't been near my face in a couple days.

I ended up insulting him and explained it was people like him I usually ended up prosecuting in court. Bloody landlords...
He started asking for information I wasn't willing to give him, but I pulled out boxes of documents to show him what kind of work I've done in the past.

He hired me on the spot and also pays my husband a small amount to work for me.

Don't let the boss interview you, it's you deciding on what path to take your life. So interview them and decide if it's what you want to do.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join