It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetically modified maize lowers fertility in mice, study finds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Genetically modified maize lowers fertility in mice, study finds

www.earthtimes.org

Vienna - Feeding mice with genetically engineered maize developed by the US-based Monsanto corporation led to lower fertility and body weight, according to a study conducted by the University of Veterinary Medicine in Vienna presented Tuesday. In the study, mice fed with the NK603 x MON810 sweetcorn variety over a period of 20 weeks showed a smaller litter size and lighter offspring than mice fed with non-engineered maize.

The differences "were statistically significant in the third and fourth litters," according to an abstract of the study led by Professor Juergen Zentek and commissioned by Austria's Environment Ministry
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.semissourian.com
www.canada.com
en.wikipedia.org
en.wikipedia.org

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
When I saw this article, I recalled several headlines pertaining to (human) male infertility which I had seen over the past week. I have tried to find & link them within this thread.

There's something to this, folks. Soy products being blamed for infertility in men, for example. Soy is a big time GMO crop. (first additional link)

Even a dramatically higher rate of genital birth defects in infant males is being observed, alongside lower sperm counts, autism, and other problems! (additional link #2) To me this linked article is HUGE and definitely tied in somehow with this study. Notice that the mouse study says the defects are being seen "significantly" in third and fourth generations. We're approaching the 26th anniversary of Monsanto's first successful GMO seed. (link #3 for more) however, prior to that, the canola plant was being selectively bred and manipulated via chemicals and such in Canada, also by Monsanto. (see link #4) That was taking place in the 70's. (see what I'm getting at?) The kids born in the late 70's, early 80's, who's parents would have been among the guinea pigs for Monsanto manipulations & chemical additives, are now having children... (the third exposed generation) and those children are being shown to have some serious defects, specifically and curiously with males showing a greater coincidence of problems.

I see where today's headlines are trying to divert the (human) male fertility problems by blaming generic anti-depressants for the problem. Let's face a fact here, the anti-depressant craze in America has waned. The GMO crop acceptance and piles of money for Monsanto to make off of them has only just begun, of course the headlines will start to scapegoat products and behaviors that aren't necessarily the real culprits.

Just something to keep an eye on and one more reason to fight against Monsanto and GMO crops in general to file away for later retrieval.

www.earthtimes.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I was wondering why a company like Monsanto has so much security it looks like a military instillation. They are a chemical company first and foremost. Donald Rumsfeld ran the place for awhile so how bad could it be?

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Didn't you get the memo that Earth was going to be rename Sapho 1. Males are not welcome or needed hence the problems with male birth defects. Yea, parthenogenesis.

new topics

top topics

join