It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Verteran's Day - Salute to Vets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I didn't see a post on this yet and I wasn't sure where to make it. So, I'm making it here.

I just wanted to take a minute to salute all of you out in ATS & BTS land who are Veterans. I really stink at these things.. "Thanks" does not seem enough. But, Thank You for all you have done and the scarfices you have made.

I'll even share a brief story of a time with my favorite vet. My dad. He was in WW2 and landed on D-day, Omaha Beach, H-hour.

I went back with him to France for the D-day 50th reunion. There were many things that happened on that trip and many speeches. But there was one episoide that really stands for "Veteran's Day" that happened - at least for me.

The tour bus was driving by Omaha beach. The vets wanted to go on the beach, but it was barricaded off and French police were standing guard. The guide was saying how he wished he could let them on the beach, but it seemed impossible.

The driver (a crazy Portuguese guy) shouted. "You want beech!?"
Vets: "YES!"
Driver: "We go beech now!!"

With that he floored it. Around the barricades and over a small dune we went and raced down the beach. The French police ran to their cars and gave chase. But, the driver had some distance on them. He slammed on the brakes and we skidded to a stop in the sand. He yelled, "Everybody out!"

The vets were just getting off when the cops showed up. Every single vet was crying. Some words were exchanged in French I didn't understand. Finally, the cops just looked at the vets milling about and left them to have a last walk on the beach where they landed 50 years ago.

After a bit I noticed an old lady carrying flowers down by the cops. They let here in and she spoke to the guide who translated her French.

She lived there. She lived there when the Nazi's came. She was around when the GI's came through. She wanted to say, "Thank You". She asked all the vets to line up. You should have seen them at attention, you would have thought a 3 star general was inspecting them.
She gave each vet a flower, a hug, a kiss on the cheek and her thanks.

Dad said if he ever doubted what he went through was worth it in his later years he thought of that day and realized it was.

If you have a story or want to say "Thanks" to the Vet's.. here's a good place to do it.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
As a Vet I would also like to say "Thank You" too all the Veterans and present members of the military.

No big stories from me. I was never in war (thank you Bill Clinton) but I was stationed in Turkey for two years. I returned stateside with a dog (now 13) and baby girl (now 11).

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I would also like to say thank you to all who serve today and to all those who in the past fought for our freedom,

To my nan who served in the WRAC (UK)
To my grandfather 801st engineers (USA)
to my Great uncle in the Navy

and to my cousin who today serves in Afganistan,
(UK)

THANK YOU!

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
This deserves a reponse. thanks and God bless to all who have served.
I lost an uncle in Korea. I have several Vietnam vet friends who walk around with scars and metal still inside them. Salt of the earth, finest humans you will find.
This thread deserves more.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Yesterday Myself and my Mum knocked off work early and were able to catch the end of a local ceremony marking Remembrance Day . The Last Post nearly brought a dear to my eyes . Note to the reader Anzac day rather then November 11th is a public holiday in this part of the world .

Lest We Forgot

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I appreciate the kind words, and thank you for posting it here. A salute to my fellow veterans.

U.S. Army 1969-1975

top topics

join