It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: Gay Marriage Proponents Attack Elderly Woman

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Come on now. Give me a break. You surely are not going to tell me that you are going to ignore all of the reasoned posts to date and react now only to the words of the few.

Oh, I ignore nothing, which leads to my frustration. I see people begging, yearning for something I have trouble denying them, and yet I see a further agenda I cannot in all honesty support. I only wish you could see it as well.

Because you have apparently done just that, it tells me that religion remains a sore spot for you somehow; i.e. maybe you are not so sure about it yourself (and who could blame you?), and furthermore, sex and sexuality are an area with lots of unresolved feelings (you sort of alluded to that too.)

Religion is not necessarily a sore spot for me, but I am adamant about my freedom to practice it openly. There are quite a few people who would take that freedom away if allowed to do so.

On sexuality, I think you confuse curiosity with insecurity. I am curious about many things, sexuality simply being one of them. Perhaps that is why I a drawn to these types of threads: I cannot fathom homosexuality, and I want to understand how it is someone can. That is not to say I condemn it. There is a huge difference between curiosity and condemnation/acceptance in practice. I am also curious about magnetic anomalies and the Bermuda Triangle; I neither condemn nor accept them either. They simply are, in that respect.

You have shown yourself to be a reasoned man, as well as an emotional and caring one. I would say, just step back for a (figurative) moment and reflect on what is going on here and not react so quickly.

I thank you for the compliment, and for the conversation. I will indeed step back and muse over my position as you request. In return, may I ask you to step back as well, and look at your fight with a critical eye? I will never suggest you give it up, but there is sometimes more than one way to accomplish an end.

This issue does not exist in a vacuum. Look, I pray you, into the future with the past as a guide and see what lurks there before you undertake a path. From what I see, this cannot end well for anyone.

This fight is not about you. It is not about religion. It is about the ability of gay couples to enjoy the fruits of marriage if they so choose.

I respectfully disagree. As an American, every challenge to the law of the land, especially if, as in this case, the US Constitution is involved, concerns me. This is my country, and that is my Constitution.

If, as you claim, religion has no place to play in this issue, then I suggest those who would make it such be silenced by their peers. It means nothing to you, but it does to them, and they are in this fight as well. the declaration of marriage as a Constitutional and civil right means the US government can enforce when, where, and who will be allowed to get married and by whom, possibly even if that ceremony is to take place in a church.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
had to stop back in and say,

i think we might be getting a little off topic possibly,

in my opinion i dont feel that this is just about gays verse christians

this isnt a wwf(wwe) wrestling, hell in the cell, cage match

I say this because to be fully honest

I DEFINITELY dont support christianity, i feel that and all the other religions are the cause for all of todays problems but i digress,

i also honestly dont support gay marriage,

so there are in betweens because its not that i am fully against gay marriage,

in all truthfullness, up until recently i was completly unbiased, id say up until about 2-3 years ago, and ever since then im just getting sick and tired of all the crap behind the subject

i personaly dont care who bangs who

what makes me sick of the situation is this has turned into a "paris hilton" or a "lindsay lohan"

its the medias go to story when they dont want other topics being discussed

before all the controversy was started i saw no negative potential in allowing gay marriage but as i watch the media change, and as ideas and views are being expressed, im now seeing the possible negatives in a fully acceptable gay marriage situation

before a couple years ago, i never pondered there could be any ramifications, but then people made the point what if we push gay so much, eventually we stop reproducing and all these other claims ideas, etc, etc

and the negatives build up, even if realistically, logistically, and logically they arent going to happen or arent possible to happen for generations, they still are possible and we must act as role models for the next generations, i feel we must not take undo risks just to appease a certain group, we did that with hitler and we ended up in ww2, appeasement isnt the answer, you dont give into something just because someone wants something, you have to make sure its best for the people on the whole

we need to look at the big picture rather then being so introverted

the big picture right now on the media is a complete over abundant push of "look at the gay monkey" (not calling all gays monkeys just refering to the media mongering morons who make for a bad example and public image of the cause)

theres nothing but a bunch of incredibly over the top profiles and personalities being pushed to dominate the media and im just sick and tired of seeing it
im sick of seeing them
im sick of hearing them
and im sick of the ignorance that comes with their personalities and lifestyles
i have nothing against transgenders or men dressing up as women or people being themselves, im just sick of that "FAKE" gay personality, and i know everyone knows damn well what i mean when i refer to that type of gay person, they are the stereotypical reason why the majority of this country dont support gay marriage

like i said in a previous post
gay ppl today dont seem like they used to, and dont call me a gay basher because ive heard this same type of statement made by people of the gay community,

back when i was younger id meet gay freinds of my moms or anyone in the family and i think i maybe only met like 1 over the top person like that all the rest were respectable humans with self respect and dignity

now all you see are a bunch of guys running around like theyre in a circus show on these tv programs, etc, and its pathetic, you can see they are being turned into nothing but dancing monkeys

the way for gay marriage to be passed is by redoing the public image, and with todays trends, unless the media portrayal of gays on a day to day basis change, then gay marriage will always be illegal, take the show and the farce out of that whole profile and then people will take the movement serious and become more accepting of the situation

but bottom line after along rant, its about public image, and with this public image, this is what you got

gay marriage banned

so gays, dont bash granny
bash the people in this video, bash the morons, change the image, and we can all get along

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Dramey

they,

1) can't do anything about how the media portrays them. christians and several other groups, have the same problem.

2) there are many carictures on media, so the idea it might be specific to gay people is a misnomer. ever watched i love lucy? what about the whole dumb blonde depiction? they always have big breasts and the larger the breasts, the fewer brain cells they are depicted as having.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
1 last post to say

not all gays in the media are negative which my previous post might have unfortunately miscommunicated

wanda sykes
ellen degeneres
the star trek guy
etc

theres alot of great gay people
theres alot of great gay role models
theres alot of great gay leaders
alot of gay people are great

but the ones the are becoming the main image, are (insert any derogatory word you want)

if the gay people stop allowing members of the community to be exploited and look that stupid in the media then the great gay role models like people like ellen, rosie o'donnel, etc, would be the main public image and then gay marriage would be allowed

its that simple
its about public image
bottom line
and unfortunantly i believe i speak for the majority of the US, and we're sick of the things we're seeing
also its unfortunate not more people against gay marriage wont publicly speak about it because theyre worried about the gay backlash, its sad we have to say one thing publicly then act like we're ashamed at the polls when we vote against gays

we as the majority should be able to openly say why we dont want something, explain it logically and be able to fix the situation, its not about gay sex, its about fears and insecurities

people see these negative characters in the news, and dont want their children growing up that way, so they make gay marriage illegal
i just wish people could still say this on the news without being attacked
this is still the USA where we are allowed to think freely and say and do what we want
and if the majority wants something, why is it taboo to say?

im ranting now but its out of frustration

we're spending alot of time on something with a simple solution in a time of chaos and extreme danger to our everyday way of life, our civilization is potentially on the bring of collapse and we're bickering over who can sleep with who

and we wonder why we cant have world peace

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
as i said before. i think it's two sides of a coin regarding population control.

one group wants to control the population growth of all races of people.
the other, wants to be sure the west survives intact, which naturally includes white folks.

there's a trend right now where races who don't practice birth control, begin to outnumber those who do practice it, and then the more prevalent race eventually starts demanding changes in the laws and controlling all the businesses. i think some view it as a survival of the fittest scenario.

[edit on 17-11-2008 by undo]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
reply to post by Dramey

they,

1) can't do anything about how the media portrays them. christians and several other groups, have the same problem.

2) there are many carictures on media, so the idea it might be specific to gay people is a misnomer. ever watched i love lucy? what about the whole dumb blonde depiction? they always have big breasts and the larger the breasts, the fewer brain cells they are depicted as having.

i love lucy great show _javascript:icon('
')

you're very right about the blonde thing and the stereotypes etc

however there are ways to control how the media portrays you,

dont go on shows like americas next top model or all these other shows and act "fierce" and all that crap

the way you present yourself can control how the media portrays you

its like being a politician, and if gays want equal rights

they have to go campaign as a whole, meaning destroying the negative public image

meaning get rid of the "fierceness" thats being shoved in the straight face every 10 minutes on television

be gay
be straight
but have some dignity(not speaking to you personally speaking on a larger term)(just wanted to clearify that as i dont mean to degrade or insult anyone here)

to some extant tho media image can be controlled

as much as the dumb blonde thing is a stereotype
blondes constantly keep making money off playing that stereotype
constantly setting intelligent blondes back

if blondes were gays and wanted to change the way things are, theyd need to do the same thing, change the public image, stop putting the dumb blondes in the public eye, put the smart ones in their place, and eventually through that use of politics, blondes would no longer be the dumb blonde,

same case here with the gay situation

its public image, and for ratings and tv, the majority of gays are being portrayed as the dancing monkeys

its sad

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I have seen more than a few people saying things like "Dont let the actions of a few of those protestors make you condemn the whole gay community." While that may be true, the others at the protest seemed more then happy to let those few bad apples keep harrassing the old woman. And whether they (The gay community) like it or not thats exactly what alot of people will do, judge the whole on the actions of a few (not that its a new concept limited to any religion or race mind you). Gay or straight, everyone should remember these words: For evil to prevail, all good men have to do is nothing.
So stand there like a spectator while your fellow protestors make an @$$ out of all of you on your behalf. Way to go

[edit on 17-11-2008 by ch1ldofthe70s]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ch1ldofthe70s

So stand there like a spectator while your fellow protestors make an @$$ out of all of you on your behalf. Way to go

I fail to see how you came to the conclusion the people that are saying "don't let the actions of a few..." are merely spectators who are doing nothing themselves

I was one of the ones that said that. I have attended two peaceful, yes peaceful, protests the past two months. Also, I feel exchanging thoughts to a huge online community also contributes to 'doing something'.

**edited to say: I love that quote

[edit on 18-11-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I agree Lucid if I was there I would have berated them for their behavior, but I wasn’t. The multiple protests I took part in were completely peaceful. People focusing on a hand full of incidents are ignoring that these protests took place across the nation. They are judging because they wish to judge, they are doing what they can to demonize the rest for whatever bad actions of a few they can find within the tens of thousands. When this many people get together across the nation some are bound to start a ruckus.

[edit on 18-11-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

Originally posted by ch1ldofthe70s

I fail to see how you came to the conclusion the people that are saying "don't let the actions of a few..." are merely spectators who are doing nothing themselves

I think we have a miscommunication here. My statement you responded to was not accusing the ones that said "don't let the actions of a few...", but it was instead...

While that may be true, the others at the protest seemed more then happy to let those few bad apples keep harrassing the old woman.

So we dont have a huge mix up, this is where I agreed with your statement...

While that may be true,

and here is where I imply who the spectators are...

the others at the protest seemed more then happy to let those few bad apples keep harrassing the old woman.

The only way that applies to you is if you were one of the protestors that stood by and let them continue with thier cowardly actions. Sorry if you took it as me accusing the ones who suggested a logical and fair course by not blaming the whole on the actions of a few. My point is that you and I know people, and alot of them, will do just that.

[edit on 18-11-2008 by ch1ldofthe70s]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ch1ldofthe70s

My apologies for misinterpreting your post then

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity

Video: Gay Marriage Proponents Attack Elderly Woman

www.infowars.com

Is this the sort of behavior we can expect form “leftists” determined to push their agenda? In the video here, an unruly group of protesters opposed to Proposition 8, the ballot initiative in California approved by voters Nov. 6 that bans gay marriage, not only refuse to allow an elderly woman to speak with the media, they assault her as well. Near the end of the video, they grab her cross, throw it on the ground and stomp it. ...
(visit the link for the full news article)

"Straight teen shot to death by another straight teen on city streets."

"Straight man violently beats and rapes straight women in closed bar this morning"

"Straight couple's domestic dispute ends in fatal stabbing."

All straight people must be violently angry rapists because this list goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on.

Can we please get back to the good old days when we hated the individuals that deserved it and not everyone else you can link to them through some arbitrary title?

These people suck! These people are not all gay people.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   

I was looking forward to arguing with you here but again you let me down. People already are using the actions of that group to blame everyone. Unfortunately, fair or not, they should know that is how the world works. I think some prominent spokespeople that truly care about the gay rights issue need to LOUDLY condemn acts like this and that stupid anarchy church attack. I am afraid that not only will people see this and easily associate to all gays but what about gay kids. In the rest of the world, we worry about setting examples so the next generation learns how to behave properly. What message does crap like this send to the gay kids already confused as hell trying to grow up and figure crap out. This crap is bad all the way aroud because it sure won't help warm the hearts of any anti-gay people now.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I agree Lucid if I was there I would have berated them for their behavior, but I wasn’t.

I'd like to hope I would have too! I know I wouldn't have touched her in anyway, but the stomping on her symbol might have been tempting considering...

The multiple protests I took part in were completely peaceful.

Ahh I had been wondering if your av was from a protest or not. Awesome. Good work

People focusing on a hand full of incidents are ignoring that these protests took place across the nation.

No news like bad news I guess
Such is characteristic of the way of things I guess... Sucks. I hope at least some ATS members take note that you participated in some protests that were peaceful.

They are judging because they wish to judge, they are doing what they can to demonize the rest for whatever bad actions of a few they can find within the tens of thousands.

tens of millions
Unless you meant the protesters?

You know I believe this is the case for the majority. Christians (most?) may think this is an unfair assessment, but when the majority(?) of Christians hold to the belief that an un-repented homosexual is going to eternal damnation because they are inherently wrong, then it isn't a far cry for us think they are looking for reasons to demonize all gays.

When this many people get together across the nation some are bound to start a ruckus.

Exactly. Odds increase when the numbers increase.

[edit on 18-11-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by angel of lightangelo

I am afraid that not only will people see this and easily associate to all gays but what about gay kids. In the rest of the world, we worry about setting examples so the next generation learns how to behave properly. What message does crap like this send to the gay kids already confused as hell trying to grow up and figure crap out. This crap is bad all the way aroud because it sure won't help warm the hearts of any anti-gay people now.

Agreed. Not much of an arguement. Those of us old enough to remember the riots that resulted from the Rodney King affair know full well how easily people can judge all by the criminal acts of a few. The same was seen when a mob of angry King supporters dragged a truck driver out of his rig and beat him down in the street. This is what worries me. Like the driver had nothing to do with the shameful gang like behavior of the police that assaulted King, imagine what potential powder keg we would have if that clip made it to a nationwide audience on the primetime news. I would hate to see people retaliate towards the gays in kind to how this old woman was treated. Its demoralizing to say the least when we stereotype.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

Please...I am disturbed that any of you have the temerity to call this an "attack". This woman was shouted down because she had the ridiculous idea that she was going to get into a crowd of people and voice her opinion that was violently opposite to those around her. Not once, did anyone strike her.

Let me point out that if she were denied the ability to fully and legally marry the person that she loved, she would be protesting on the steps of the White House. That's all people want, is the ability to marry the person they love. I am ashamed of all of you here who would try to make it about something else. None of us asked to be gay. What if it were you?

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Please...I am disturbed that any of you have the temerity to call this an "attack". This woman was shouted down because she had the ridiculous idea that she was going to get into a crowd of people and voice her opinion that was violently opposite to those around her. Not once, did anyone strike her.

Let me point out that if she were denied the ability to fully and legally marry the person that she loved, she would be protesting on the steps of the White House. That's all people want, is the ability to marry the person they love. I am ashamed of all of you here who would try to make it about something else. None of us asked to be gay. What if it were you?

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by cldavis
None of us asked to be gay. What if it were you?

Well first off I would not try to get people to feel any empathy towards my plea by verbally assaulting granny there. While I can certainly understand being passionate about your beliefs, keep in mind that bullying tactics like those will only generate more people to side against gays. The location looked like a public place from what I could make of it, so the woman as well as the media (and the protestors) had a rite to be there. It was a few of the protestors though that was disrespectful, blocking the womans face with signs and destroying her property (the cross). Let that happen with the roles reversed and see if you think its ok.

Fact is it isnt me. If it were I have learned over the years that you dont try and get people to agree with you through any means of bullying, violence or scare tactics. It never has a desireable outcome.

While the Church may frown and oppose your plea for marrige, as a believer in true freedom I hope that you one day get what you ask for. I personally dont believe in it (same sex marrige), yet you will have to win this. If you dont then there is no hope for what I believe in to ever exsist. True freedom forever.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by cldavis

This woman was shouted down because she had the ridiculous idea that she was going to get into a crowd of people and voice her opinion that was violently opposite to those around her. Not once, did anyone strike her.

this my kind freind is the type of woman who represents everything that this once great nation stood for

This moment represents what our revolutionaries fought the red coats for

this is exactly what our leaders did in the midst of the british whom they felt were oppressing them

if people in america one day are no longer allowed to voice a opinion contrary to popular sentiment then that sir is the day we are no longer the united states of america

And if we go according to your quote there, then gays would have no chance at gaining equality to straights

by your logic it seems that gays are stupid and ridiculous for trying to speak up for themselves and their rights because everyone around them disagrees with the gays and they support being straight,

gay is not the majority sentiment so the gays voicing a opposite voice are just ridiculous, foolish old ladies

this woman showing up there is the single thing that should give gays hope

the fact that woman can still go somewhere and voice her concerns, beliefs, and ideas means she still has freedom

freedom, equality, thats what these protesters are asking for, fighting for,

yet these gays took away her freedoms, took away her constitutional right to free speech

you say they did not strike her
they may not have physically, but by oppressing her voice they have struck the nation much worse then any physical damage could have done, they showed that one group could completly stifle the voice of another, that is not what this country is about, and that is very ironic in the fact that is the exact thing gays are fighting to change, the fact that the straights can control the gays

should straight people respond in the same manner towards the gays because the gays are not the majority?

obviously not, but by your statements regarding her thats exactly what you indirectly imply

i mean no bickering or back and forth arguments, i dont mean to misinterpret your statement or put words in your mouth

i only wish to point out what this situation really is

its not just one woman
its not just one group of gay protesters
its not about one news piece

theres a much larger picture, and the people involved need to realize that if they wish to truly ever change anything

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24 >>

join