It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: Gay Marriage Proponents Attack Elderly Woman

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Video: Gay Marriage Proponents Attack Elderly Woman

www.infowars.com

Is this the sort of behavior we can expect form “leftists” determined to push their agenda? In the video here, an unruly group of protesters opposed to Proposition 8, the ballot initiative in California approved by voters Nov. 6 that bans gay marriage, not only refuse to allow an elderly woman to speak with the media, they assault her as well. Near the end of the video, they grab her cross, throw it on the ground and stomp it. ...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
It's fine by me if you opposed Proposition 8. It's fine if you want to protest it and bring it back into the courts for reevaluation. It's another thing when you attack an elderly women with an opposing opinion without letting her speak her mind.

Is this going on in other places as well, or is it just a one-time thing?

www.infowars.com

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Nothing says "respect our beliefs" quite like assaulting an old woman and stomping on her cross for not respecting your beliefs.

Idiots.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
That really disgusts me. I understand that both sides are passionate in their beliefs but the way they treated that lady was completely uncalled for and unacceptable. They should all be ashamed of themselves. Also, to carry on the way they did when the reporter was simply trying to do a story live made these people seem like complete monsters with no sense of self-control or even any sense of right vs. wrong.

Disgraceful.

I supported Prop 8 and I'm embarrassed to admit that the more that I see these people protesting and acting out the more I feel moved to get out there and do whatever I can to ensure that the vote stands. I'm not acting on that feeling but I'm very disturbed by what these protestors are doing.

I would hope that a formal apology was made to the lady as well as to the reporter. Was there any follow up? If an apology wasn't made in person it should have been issued via a formal statement to the press. If I was on the side of these crazy lunatics I would be apologizing to anyone that would listen even though I wasn't part of that rally!

Jemison

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I'm upset to say for some reason i think the woman deserved some kind of malicious response (non violent obviously) for her inexcusable decisions. Hey, i hope this wares of tomorrow.

But really let's be honest you cant ask someone to respect your beliefs and then stamp on another's ( her cross for example).

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

Leftists? What's with the misattribution? These are gay people, political stance being irrelevant.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
How disrespectful, to not even let another voice her opinion. But, I've gotta give it up for that women, standing there with almost zen-like patience waiting to say what she had to say. She didn't walk away or get frustrated, just had a smile, from what I seen.

That guy yelling. "we should fight!, we should fight!" Geezzz... That's all I gotta say about that.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Wow!
Something from InfoWars I respect!

Those idiots attacking that woman for voicing her opinion is just beyond disgraceful! She was doing nothing to prevent them from voicing their opinion, but they felt violence was the way they should proceed.

And for those "attacking" the Christian Conservatives for passing this measure, it passed with a majority of 52.3% of the voters. Now, if you think California, one of the most liberal states in the U.S. has that percentage of Christian Conservatives, you are only lying to yourselves to make yourself feel better that none of your ilk would've voted for this. For this to have passed, a good percentage of liberals had to have voted for it. So, this measure crossed political beliefs heavily. This measure passed fair and legally by a majority vote of the poulation, and should be implemented by the state legislature and courts fair and legally also.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Disgusting. Seems the definition of tolerance goes in only one direction for such people. You should tolerate them, but they have no intention of tolerating you. Doing gay people no favors with such behavior, that’s certain.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Elemensa

Well, I wouldn't use the word "malicious," but what should have happened was a proper debate between her and the proponents instead of the proponents attacking her. What was the point on stamping on the cross anyway? It gives the negative stereotype that all homosexuals are Atheists.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Listen, I am one tolerant mo-fo when it comes to other's differences, and I think that if two people truly love one another, than neither big brother nor religious factions have any right to tell them what they can and cannot do.

That being said, this display was ridiculous. To say at least a couple of these individuals were in SERIOUS need of a lengthy anger-management course is the understatement of the year...Roughing up an elderly woman AIN'T the way to win support for a cause, no matter how upset one is.

Jeesh....

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Let's see... let's not tolerate any dissenting opinions, in fact, let's make sure only our opinion is heard. And when the other side protests with signs, let's try to grab them and destroy them. Heck let's even rough them up a little for daring to speak.

Way to go there anti Prop 8 people........and you wonder why you lost that vote?

No offense, but those people were jerks to the little old lady from Pasadena.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   

That video made me LOL! But seriously...that old woman was provoking a large angry crowd full of gay men. While I don't agree with them pulling away things from her hands, it shouldn't be difficult to see how was simply there as a provocateur.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Terrible actions that should be punished. It is very telling that the anti-gay or pro-8 people immediately turn this into an issue involving all gays and tolerance in general. These were a few people doing something stupid and wrong, please don’t use this to fuel your own bigotry or to lump all gays together and put them down. When a young gay man was shot this year because of his orientation, or another gay male last year was beaten to death because of his orientation I didn’t put down all straight people, or people like the ones on this site that sometimes make disconcerting comments about homosexuals, or religious people who believe terrible things about gay people-have no trouble saying it-and think their religion encourages it. Gays are persecuted by straights constantly; I don’t use that to fuel a dislike towards all straight people who disagree with me on issues involving homosexuals. I hope straight people will not use this instance to do the opposite when it comes to gays.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage

These were a few people doing something stupid and wrong, please don’t use this to fuel your own bigotry or to lump all gays together and put them down.

Please don't plant some non-existent seed that I was lumping all gays together under the same stereotype and purposefully putting them down. I'm just irritated that the road does not go both ways. When straight men beat down gay people, gay people are allowed to make comments about the straight people's actions, so why is it when I comment on gay people beating down straight people and stamping on the cross she was wearing, I'm suddenly against homosexuality?

No matter how you look at it, the people that beat that lady down shouldn't be defended in the slightest. What they did was wrong, and I hope they get an appropriate punishment for their actions (but it's doubtful).

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
The irony of it all is that it is going to be overturned by either the supreme court or Obama when he gets into office. After seeing the video I feel like saying screw em let it stand.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
Nothing says "respect our beliefs" quite like assaulting an old woman and stomping on her cross for not respecting your beliefs.

Idiots.

Not uncommon behavior by repressed minorities to be honest. And they aren't asking for respect, they'd just like people to sort of "go away" and quit bugging them with things like prop 8.

But I say out with the old, and in with the new. That old bag and the people with antiquated ideas like hers will be moving along soon enough, and to speed the process up, I'm pro-euthanasia.

I'm sure you could find some pretty bad things blacks did prior to gaining civil liberties. But they also had a lot of bad things that happened to them to fuel those actions. Some of these people might have had awful experiences throughout their life being bullied or whatever that leads to their anger now. In a way, that lady might not have been so innocent (in their eyes) because she represents all the hardship these people have faced over their entire lives from society. And this hardship that they've faced is somehow justified by society, and it is saying to them that this is going to continue.

It's very easy, and rather stupid of people, to think that ones actions are up to only oneself. The guy who went and shot 25 people killing them all is just horrible, he's the lowest of all people. But what happened prior to that? How did society treat him and how was his life? Probably not too good. It's a reflection on society and external influences. Society creates these people, and when a poor input goes in, you get a poor output. Look at the input and its not surprising the outcome.

[edit on 11-11-2008 by ghaleon12]

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity
reply to post by Elemensa

Well, I wouldn't use the word "malicious," but what should have happened was a proper debate between her and the proponents instead of the proponents attacking her. What was the point on stamping on the cross anyway? It gives the negative stereotype that all homosexuals are Atheists.

They probably don't have a problem with the cross or Christianity, but when it's used to repress people in a hateful way, that's what got them angry more than likely. Religion shouldn't be used to kill or repress people, it turns it into a bane. Further, many of those people probably consider themselves Christian and believe God doesn't care about homosexuality... Jesus never said anything about it.

[edit on 11-11-2008 by ghaleon12]

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
OH Cmon!

Sensationalist excrement.

There is war on for your mind all right and Alex Jones is leading the charge.

Lets get some perspective on this.

This is an issue that is as big to the gay population as segregation was to the African-American population.

This woman was knowingly provoking a very angry crowd.

She may have been pushed a bit and she was probably a bit shaken but she was not physically hurt and certainly not "ATTACKED!!!!!!!"

The cross is nether here nor there ... to me it's not entirely clear that it was "grabbed" from her.

It looks like it could just as easily be that she was either starting to drop it or lowering it to get away from the crowd and it was knocked out of her hand in the confusion.

As far as stamping on it goes, they would have stamped on ANY placard/sign/statement of protest she was carrying ... it just so happens that it was a cross.

In matters of passion, how can we expect there to be no physicality?

Moral of the story ... if you are a small group of people protesting against a large group of people's passionate cause, have some common sense and protest on the other side of the road or accept the consequences.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity
It's another thing when you attack an elderly women with an opposing opinion without letting her speak her mind.

You know, when I saw the title to this thread I thought I was going to witness a real attack. I was thinking I was going to see some senior citizen being accosted physically and was going to be appalled by the direction that this movement was going. Instead, I see some lady smiling and laughing and being verbally berated by protesters. Calling this an "attack" is quite preposterous.

As far as allowing her to "speak her mind," IMO she did that when she brought her cross with her. What, did you think she was going to enlighten the crowd or the viewers with some new insight into the issue? Everyone knew what she was going to say, I will give you a hint. It starts with an "s" and ends with an "in"...sin, sin, sin.

This woman, and quite frankly way to many members of a certain religion, feel that their moral beliefs somehow trump others civil rights. To be honest, I probably would not have allowed her to speak either, and I am not even gay. I am just sick of people acting like their moral beliefs derived from the Bible hold some precedence over the civil rights of others.

If you want to see a real attack, wait until the right wingers have a demonstration and a gay person steps in to voice their opinion. Then you will see something worthy of the word "attack". I don't know what was more ridiculous, the title to this thread or the responses from many of its participants who demonize the protesters for being unwilling to tolerate this woman's self righteous views.

[edit on 11-11-2008 by BluegrassRevolutionary]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join