It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vaughn Meader’s “First Family” Tribute – PART TWO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
PODcast:

Vaughn Meader’s “First Family” Tribute – PART TWO

NEWLY REMASTERED - STEREO

Courtesy Of The Vaughn Meader Family

Back in 2006 I was at an estate sale and while poking around, I came across something more valuable than GOLD.... a virtually BRAND NEW copy of an LP by Vaughn Meader of a parody album that was made in 1962 about the FIRST FAMILY of the WHITE HOUSE, John F. Kennedy. This album is so HISTORICAL and PURE GENIUS for its time. I have attached the official BIO that I found on the internet. THIS is also where I got my inspiration for the voice of CAPT. IVAN PANSY for the Radio First Termer Shows in Saigon, Vietnam. Let me take you back... to the GENIUS that was VAUGHN MEADER.

Abbott Vaughn Meader (March 20, 1936 – October 29, 2004) was an American comedian and impersonator whose meteoric rise to fame with The First Family album spoofing President John F. Kennedy was equaled only by his meteoric crash into obscurity with Kennedy's assassination in 1963.

Meader was born in Waterville, Maine, during one of the worst floods ever to hit New England (he often said he was born on "the night the West Bridge washed out"). He enlisted in the United States Army directly out of Brookline High School near Boston, was posted in Germany, and married a German woman. While in the Army, he joined a GI band.

Meader began his career as a singer and piano player. Upon his return from Germany, he began a stand-up comedy act in New York City, where his skill at impersonating Kennedy was discovered. With his New England accent naturally close to the Kennedy's familiar (and often parodied) Harvard accent, he needed to adjust his voice only slightly to sound almost exactly like the President. Meader also mastered the facial expressions that allowed him to bear a passable resemblance to Kennedy.

On October 22, 1962, Meader joined writers Bob Booker and Earle Doud and a small cast of entertainers and recorded The First Family, which would become the fastest-selling record in the United States. By that Christmas, one million copies of the album had been sold; by the following year, it had sold an astonishing 7.5 million copies—unprecedented for any album, let alone a comedy album. In his 20s, Meader was suddenly famous, rich, and in constant demand. He was profiled in Time and Life magazines, appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show, and played to packed houses in Las Vegas.

At the time, many Americans could recite favorite lines from the record (including "the rubber schwan [swan] is mine," and "move ahead ... with great vigah [vigor]," the latter lampooning the President's own words). The album poked fun at Kennedy's PT-109 history; the rocking chairs he used for his aching back; the Kennedy clan's well-known athleticism, football games and family togetherness; children in the White House; and Jackie Kennedy's soft-spoken nature and her redecoration of the White House; among many other bits of knowledge that the public consumed voraciously.

The parody wasn't biting; more like good-natured teasing from an entertaining friend. Kennedy himself was said to have given copies of the albums as Christmas gifts, and once greeted a Democratic National Committee group by saying, "Vaughn Meader was busy tonight, so I came myself." At one press conference, Kennedy was asked if the album had produced "annoyment [sic] or enjoyment." He jokingly responded, "I listened to Mr. Meader's record and, frankly, I thought it sounded more like Teddy than it did me. So, now he's annoyed." The First Family album won the Grammy Award for Album of the Year in 1963. That March, Meader recorded a follow-up album, The First Family Volume Two, a combination of spoken comedy and songs performed by actors and comedians portraying members of the President's family and White House staff.

After John F. Kennedy was killed in Dallas, Texas, in November, 1963, sales of The First Family albums plummeted, and stores removed the records from their shelves as the nation went into mourning. Meader and others commented through the years that the assassin's (presumed to be Lee Harvey Oswald) bullet killed not only Kennedy, but also Meader (or, Meader's career). His act was no longer in demand and even appearances that were already booked—including those for the Grammy Awards show, the Joey Bishop show, and To Tell the Truth—were canceled.

According to several sources, Avant-garde comedian Lenny Bruce appeared at a New York nightclub only days after Kennedy's assassination. As if testing his audience's readiness to find something funny so soon after tragedy, Bruce was silent for several moments before announcing, "Vaughn Meader is screwed!" Certainly, Meader discovered that he was so completely typecast as a Kennedy impersonator that he could not find anyone willing to hire him for any of his other talents. He recorded comedy albums for Verve Records, including sketches on almost anything except the Kennedys, but sales were virtually nonexistent.

Meader sank into depression as his source of income and employment vanished, and as his newfound famous friends and associates stopped calling. His non-Kennedy albums and act interested almost no one, because the public associated his face and voice with the late President. He began using his given name, Abbott, and vowed to never again do a Kennedy impersonation (a vow he kept until his death). He also began drowning his sorrows in alcohol, coc aine, and heroin.

Meader tried several times to revive his career, but achieved only moderate success, and then mostly outside of show business. He appeared briefly in the 1974 movie Linda Lovelace for President and on the Rich Little comedy album, The First Family Rides Again, which both parodied Ronald Reagan and paid homage to the original The First Family album. Eventually, Meader resumed a career in bluegrass and country music, becoming a popular local performer in his native Maine. Meader was married four times, the last for 16 years to his wife, Sheila, until his death. The couple lived briefly in Gulfport, Florida, from 1999 to 2002, but eventually returned to Maine.

To DOWNLOAD This Program, Put Your Mouse Cursor Over the BLUE SHOW FILE NAME, Then RIGHT CLICK. Slide The Cursor Down To SAVE TARGET AS And Then CLICK .... Now Just Decide WHERE You Want To Download The File To And CLICK SAVE. You Might Also Consider SUBSCRIBING To The Shows Through iTunes Or Our RSS FEED Where They Are Available For Downloaded To Your computer Automatically.

Subscribe To The ATS MIX Show With iTunes

Subscribe To The ATS MIX Show With RSS Feed

Please FLAG, STAR & DIGG The Show If You Enjoy It

length: 20:03
file: btstpod_3136.mp3
size: 7050k
feed: btst

[edit on 11/11/2008 by Dave Rabbit]

join