It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Day Of Honor & A Shoe Box.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
A perfectly beautiful day. Couldn't be scripted any better. Sunny, approximately 60 degrees F. The trees are dazzling, showing off their fall colors. The smell in the crisp Autumn air is something my nostrils cherish. Almost perfect.

The breeze is perfect. Just chilly enough. I sit on my back deck with a glass of hot cider. (And the shot of Capt. Morgans in it didn't hurt any.). I light a cigar, and it is delicious.

On the deck table right next to me is a shoe box. A non-descript, ordinary brown shoe box. I take a sip of my drink, a draw on my cigar, and look at this box. I pull the box towards me as I exhale the fine cigar smoke. A crow caws off in the distance, and two squirrels are playing along the fence. My dog comes and puts his head on my lap.

I open the box. In it are a bunch of momentos, and pictures. I pull out the first picture. My Dad in his Full Dress Uniform, with my Mom in her wedding gown on his arm. They were half my age when that picture was taken.

Next picture. My Dad holding a little baby in his arms. I was maybe 6 months old when that picture was taken.

Next picture. My Dad swearing me in when I first strapped on my boots. I looked like a wide eyed teen who was terrified.

Next. My Dad shaking hands with me when I achieved Ranger Honors. I didn't look scared anymore.

Next. My Dad dressed in battle gear. He was scary looking! My Dad was one of the toughest men I've ever known.

Next. My Dad shaking hands with JFK. (One of his proudest moments.)

Next. My Dad in fatigues wrestling around with a goofy looking kid. I was maybe 5 when this picture was taken.

Dad. Thank you for everything. For being my Dad. For defending our Country. For not killing me when I deserved it so many times when I was a stupid teen. For being a man I am able to respect. I love you Dad, and I miss you more than you know.

For ALL VETS. Thank you. You are why we are free. Yes we are. We are free. because of you.

[edit on 11-11-2008 by lombozo]

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Excellent as always buddy.

I really don't know what else to say at this point, other than excellent.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   

I can't take it anymore.

HUGS and love...

DIRE STRAITS- Brothers in Arms

[edit on 11-11-2008 by AccessDenied]

join