It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we divide the USA in to two new countries

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
They should throw out the illegals and the haters of freedom in society who threaten your country. Build a wall across Mexico and dump all the criminals on Alaska and let them freeze. Then you might not have to divide so much.

Calling from the UK- is that customer feedback?

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
No, that's a terrible idea. Sorry to sound rude but people need to start learning to live with each other and understand both sides of the aisle before they start pointing fingers.
I am a self-proclaimed liberal but that doesn't mean I sit around trash talking conservatives all the time.
I understand their point of view and just don't agree with all of it - it doesn't mean I don't agree with some of the things they say, I just don't agree with all of it.
It doesn't mean I can't be friends with a Republican.
That's stupid.
I have many friends who don't agree with everything I think.
We're never all going to agree on everything and until people can realize that all that matters is that we're there for each other during the thick and thin then the world will never change.
We have to unite, despite different beliefs, because if we don't, we will end up dying out from all the pointless and unnecessary wars that plague this world because of difference of belief.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
You can't split the United States, opposing groups are supposed to be balances to each other. Without opposition terrible things would happen and go unchecked.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
For everyone's reference here are the county by county results.

External Image

Keep in mind just because a county is red there are still liberals there and vice versa.

Anyhow if the country continues on it's current path I don't see any way around splitting/breaking it up unless someone or something can come along and unify us.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by The time lord

They should throw out the illegals and the haters of freedom in society who threaten your country.

Seems like illegals should be the least of your worries. Last time I checked illegals weren't the ones giving out money like crazy to any company willing to drive their company into the ground.

I say we learn from one another.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I have been saying the same thing... why not have two different countries where liberals could have what they want and conservatives could have what they want!!

Seems fair to me.

Oh but wait, our government does not care what "we the people" want.

Nevermind.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by gypsy1035

A government that did not have opposing viewpoints would be a government that could be easily used to take over, because there would be no checks and balances, so if you get a leader who says all the awesome things you want to hear and then gets in power with no one to check him, you're screwed if he was lying to you.
The system here is corrupt but the original system works and having all of the same viewpoint in government is just stupid, and is only setting you up for disaster.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I think that most of us could live together just fine. There would be friction and issues but we could handle it.
We need to divide it into USA and Capitol Hill. We declare war on Capitol Hill and in a short abrupt little weekend we get rid of all of the politicians and that nasty state department that has really been running the show.
Then we tackle the minor problems by enforcing laws that are already in place and we'll be in a position to discuss the rest of the issues intelligently.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

Thats a crazy map. Looks like MA and CA got to choose the President.
Who cares what those hicks in flyover country want anyway. Lord knows they're too stupid to have feelings.

You cant have a country that's so 50-50 and be stable for very long. I guess it helps that the big government, totalitarian majority of both parties have been in charge for the past 16 and for the next 4 years. Wow. If Obama goes for 8 that's nearly a quarter century of 'neo' rule. My peers in their twenties have no idea what freedom is. Imagine how difficult the concept will be for those turning voting age in the next few years.

That's the real skew. The people from both parties that want liberty are outnumbered by the globalist 'neo' Repulicrats.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I have pondered this question a great deal over the past few days and it has taken a lot of honest questioning of myself and my own personal opinions and beliefs.

My ultimate answer in this case is NO....we shouldn't split the nation, we should not revert back to the days of separation and divide. For all of our differences and all of our disagreements we are still all Americans and as such we are all pretty much the same in our wants and desires at the most basic level.

We all want to be able to live our lives as we choose, free from tyranny and government intervention. We want the right to marry who we choose, raise a family, and exist freely without being taxed to death or told what to do. We all want those same basic rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness that were outlined so clearly in the Constitution.

We are all basically the same, but we will never be completely the same. Instead of dividing this nation and making it weaker, what we need to do is demand that there be a return to a government by the people, of the people and FOR the people. We need a government that is held accountable...and most of all we need a 100% return to the wording of our constitution.

Government is not supposed to be a baby sitter, a parent or a dictatorship. It is meant to serve the people and not vice versa and the sooner we realize this and take our country back the sooner we can get back to abiding by the constitution.

My personal theory.....as long as what you are doing doesn't infringe upon my freedom or my personal rights and doesn't harm anyone else... I DON"T CARE WHAT YOU DO in your own home, on your own property and in your own life.

If we could all just live and let live and abide by the laws of the constitution nobody would have any reason to complain.

$0.02

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
#1 - It didn't work so good for India. It's only created a disaster.
#2 - That is a way of getting rid of the constitution/bill of rights. Not likely in the current situation there would be any rights falling over to a split US or NAU.
#3 - In todays climate are you kidding? Why the diversion?

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
A country was divided by left and right, they even built a wall in the middle.

West Germany, known in German as the Bundesrepublik Deutschland (Federal Republic of Germany), developed into a western capitalist country with a social market economy ("Soziale Marktwirtschaft" in German) and a democratic parliamentary government. Continual economic growth starting in the 1950s fuelled a 30-year "economic miracle" ("Wirtschaftswunder"). Across the inner-German border, East Germany, known in German as the Deutsche Demokratische Republik (German Democratic Republic), established an authoritarian government with a Soviet-style planned economy. As West Germany's economy grew and the standard of living continually improved, many East Germans wanted to move to West Germany

Berlin Wall - Wikipedia

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by lightchild
A country was divided by left and right, they even built a wall in the middle.

West Germany, known in German as the Bundesrepublik Deutschland (Federal Republic of Germany), developed into a western capitalist country with a social market economy ("Soziale Marktwirtschaft" in German) and a democratic parliamentary government. Continual economic growth starting in the 1950s fuelled a 30-year "economic miracle" ("Wirtschaftswunder"). Across the inner-German border, East Germany, known in German as the Deutsche Demokratische Republik (German Democratic Republic), established an authoritarian government with a Soviet-style planned economy. As West Germany's economy grew and the standard of living continually improved, many East Germans wanted to move to West Germany

Berlin Wall - Wikipedia

exactly.

I was just about to bring this up.

whenever a country acts REALLY bad.. to the point where it's intolerable.. or acts as a proxy for another.. it's pure and simple.. it's SPLIT.

North Vietnam - South Vietnam .. North Korea South Korea.
East Germany West Germany

and the all the balkanized states that became countries out of eastern Europe and the U.S.S.R.

If something bad happened to America.. like in the TV show Jericho.. I'd imagine we wouldn't just be East and West , Conservative and Liberal...
but more likely to be split into 4 or 5 different countries before it's all united again.

and to the OP.. i think that's pretty ignorant of you to think that the popular conservative leadership would be supporting the constitution.
you been asleep the past 7 years there buddy?

-

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I like the way you're thinking...but I just don't see it working to be honest. What I think we SHOULD do, however, is to give more power to the states... enough power that they can ALMOST be considered independent "countries".

Like the European Union... each state will hold the responsibility of governing itself, while the Federal Gov't comes in only to help solve disputes BETWEEN multiple states (given that they cannot come to terms on their own.)

Each state should be allowed to issue its own passports (but with citizens being able to travel and work freely within the entire union)

Is it just me, or does this somehow sound familiar? Cryptomnesia possibly?

;o)

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Yeah, lets divide it in two parts..........Stupid and Unstupid....

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
[edit on 11-11-2008 by EarthCitizen07]

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Liberal and conservative America...

So, you want to lay claim to Canada, is that it? The Russians are way ahead of you up north, better get on it before you get stuck with Newfoundland.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
No. We should not divide into two new countries. It would cause all kinds of problems.

One of the problems with that is the country could not be easily divided into two parts. If the nation ever divides again like in the civil war, it wont be just a north and south. It will be multiple entities, the most powerful being the megapolitan area that stretches from Boston to Washington D.C., aka the Northeast Corridor. It is the wealthiest region of the United States.

If we ever "divide", in the sense that the United States legislates it, the continental US will probably be divided into 10 megapolitan regions. Even if it is not legislated, in the sense we fragment and the United States collapses like the Soviet Union in 1991, we will probably still follow that megapolitan concept. In a sense the megapolitan regions are really the foundations of new countries that will probably emerge in the next century like many of the modern European nations emerged from regions of the Roman Empire.

Division will not be a good thing, especially when Europe, Russia, and China will all be looking at the opportunities it would present. We may find Canada and parts of the fomer US being assimilated in to the European Union under the guise of an Atlantic Union. We may find Russia or China looking at Alaska's resources and hoping to have them as their own. Essentially dividing the US will set the stage for the world's major powers to fight over North America like they fought over Europe in World War 1 and 2.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by badmatty

Read the Constitution, all of the states are supposed to to be "self-determinate", that is what the civil war was about, States Rights.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Divide and conquer (derived from the Latin saying Divide et impera).

The Romans were onto something there........

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join