It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is ATS Selling our Info?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I noticed something the other day on ATS, a banner ad that knew where I lived. So the question is does that data live here on the server, or is that transmitted back to the ad company suppling that advert.

Thought it would be weird for them to give targeted markerting on this site.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Of course ATS isn't passing on our information, the data protection act prevents them from doing so, anyways we are nice people here

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   
So just to clarify, then is just a parameter passed to the ad local on the server then?

And does the data proctection act apply to personal info but general info like M from This area is ok?

And yes you do seem like nice people just seemed odd ya know.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Of course ATS isn't passing on our information, the data protection act prevents them from doing so, anyways we are nice people here

I agree, i would do as your avatar if i was you.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Why? Seems like a pretty honest question about a concern that takes place on alot of sites.
I am surprised that I would get flack for asking a question like this hmmmm.

Oh well, Just an issue we all need to pay attention too maybe not on here but definitly all over. and to know signs of this would seem to .. whats that saying oh yea,

Deny Ignorance.

=)

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
ATS Privacy Policy: www.abovetopsecret.com... Nothing is passed from us to any advertiser on ATS. The technology that displayed a localized ad is with the advertising network server, and not ATS.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I was giving you a hard time, it is a vaild question, it been gone over a couple of times. I have noticed one time A banned on the Very front page, but i had came from google, I asume it was from google. If it was here you would see it more. The only time I have got it was the one google time.

[Edited on 31-3-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Thanks,.. Liek I said I didnt think it would be the case, Quick Q , perhaps you know how would the ad server know where I live. They set a cookie some where form another site that gave out my info? Just wondering how I can curb this.

Thanks again

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
I was giving you a hard time, it is a vaild question, it been gone over a couple of times. I have noticed one time A banned on the Very front page, but i had came from google, I asume it was from google. If it was here you would see it more. The only time I have got it was the one google time.

[Edited on 31-3-2004 by SpittinCobra]

One to many cups of coffee for me today =)..

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
There you go. good lookin out SO

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio perhaps you know how would the ad server know where I live.
Your IP address. It's easy to do a look-up and discover your postal code. Several companies provide software that does this automatically.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
..They set a cookie some where form another site that gave out my info? Just wondering how I can curb this.

Thanks again

Try downloading Adaware, Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster - all are freeware - and will remove any spy/ad/mal ware on your system. Use Google to find the links.

Good luck!

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Brilliant!!!. lol

Ahh the IP address. Hmmm, wonder what they do for AOL.
Anyways thanks for the info guys. Sorry if I cause anything, just was wondering.

Peace

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
All around the internet among different websites I visit, I seem to see the same ads as well from ATS. My guess is that it has something to do with Cookies and their tracking capabilities.

I guess they are always keeping an eye on me then.

top topics

join