It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone Identify this craft and its purpose?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
The B1 was designed for fast high altitude flight and they found it was easier to sneak in by enemy radar with a low altitude terrain following type attack that the B! could not do.

[edit on 11-11-2008 by ANNED]

Care to clarify your statement? As far as I'm aware of the history of the B-1/B Program the B-1A was designed for high altitude attack runs while the focus was changed for the B-1B program to low altitude attack runs. This change it tactics put one of the key design features of the B-1 program into a catch 22. The swing wing of the plane was designed to be swept back to increase speed but on the deck the wings unswept had the positive effect of increased maneuverability. The B-1 crews and air force from what I understand did decide that the increase in speed was more ideal and as such flew at low levels with the wings swept still. The B version was still able if not more able in terms of equipment to fly at low levels in comparison to the A model.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by IvanZana

TU-160, AKA B-1ski. made from the TU-144, AKA Concordski. Good site on it:

www.fas.org...

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Xcuse me for not reading all posts,off the top of my head, it looks like a Russian Blackjack bomber.

<< 1   >>

join