It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love

www.msnbc.msn.com

Finally tonight as promised, a Special Comment on the passage, last week, of Proposition Eight in California, which rescinded the right of same-sex couples to marry, and tilted the balance on this issue, from coast to coast.

Some parameters, as preface. This isn't about yelling, and this isn't about politics, and this isn't really just about Prop-8. And I don't have a personal investment in this: I'm not gay, I had to strain to think of one member of even my very extended family who is, I have no personal stories of close friends or colleagues fighting the prejudice that still pervades their lives.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
WOW! Keith was really emotional on this issue! I think he gave a great speech.

To me, it's hipocritical to go around and tell people about your religion and how much love it gives when you use your religion as an excuse to prevent love.

In a world that is full of hate, sorrow and emptiness, why can't we just allow others to love? Is it too much to ask? Is allowing gay people to get married really so harmful? Is love in general too much to ask from the American public?

Questions like these baffle me everyday. Even though I am straight, I will fight for the right for everyone, even if they are different than me, for the right to love.

It is what this world desperatly needs right now.

Love, Allison

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Here is a video of him speaking it. He is really emotional about this.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I cant stand Olbermann, but I do agree with him.

I mean, I understand the issue of the word 'marriage', since the word has a definition of male and female. Or has that definition changed in the English language? I know, there are a number of meanings for the word.

But I really dont see why 2 people regardless of gender cant be united by law. Honestly, I dont think any marriage/union should have the law involved, but thats another topic all together.

There are so many hetro marriages that are crap, never should have happened, etc. So, I just dont understand why people refuse to allow 2 people to legally be together. Especially if they are already together!

Oh and for the record, Im a Christian, straight, registered republican. Not all Christians, hetros and repubs are against it

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Thanks for sharing your opinion! It is wonderful to see someone reaching across the aisle when it comes to this issue.

Love knows no political or religious boundary. It's a sad world when realizing that we need courage to fight for love. One man was nailed to a cross. Many other men and women have been shot or tortured--all in the name of fighting for love.

Someday hopefully, people will open their eyes.

[edit on 10-11-2008 by Dances With Angels]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I like Olbermann, and I do agree with him.

Just let it alone. As the Constitution says, we are all guaranteed the right to have life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness so long as it does not infringe upon the rights of others. No one elses rights are being taken away, except gay people. I'm not gay, but these people need a damn break.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by wisefoolishness

I have always been wondering this:

When homosexuals achieve full rights, who then will people pick on to make themselves feel "better" or more "powerful" than others. What is this incessant need to be on top and why do we need it?

When everybody has achieved full rights in our society, the bullies that need to feel better than everyone else will have no one left. What will they do? Will they create another scapegoat to stomp all over?

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dances With Angels
reply to post by wisefoolishness

I have always been wondering this:

When homosexuals achieve full rights, who then will people pick on to make themselves feel "better" or more "powerful" than others. What is this incessant need to be on top and why do we need it?

When everybody has achieved full rights in our society, the bullies that need to feel better than everyone else will have no one left. What will they do? Will they create another scapegoat to stomp all over?

While I do not AT ALL think America is a racist country, blacks are still attacked, Jews are still attacked, and of course homosexuals are. However unlike blacks and Jews, Homosexuals are seen as having a choice and engaging in immoral actions and will be attacked for many, many decades to come. I personally feel that homosexuality is disgusting, but I also feel that it is their rights to do whatever they want, and I hold nothing against homosexuals. I simply think their actions are personally disgusting, then there are of course heterosexuals that are just as disgusting in what they do in their sexual lives...but again, it's their right.

I also hate Keith Olberman, he is a partisan a*shole that makes O'Reilly look fair...I much prefer Rachel Maddow, who is...as lesbian. So again, I hold nothing against homosexuals personally, and think they have and should the same rights as all Americans enjoy...but that doesn't mean I agree with their actions.

[edit on 10-11-2008 by yellowcard]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

Right, of course most people are in general tolerant of things that are different than them. There is just that select few that need someone to be of lower status than they are in order to boost their egos. For homoxesuals, there are more people that need this for some reason. And of course, you are entitled to your opinion about homosexuality. I respect that you believe in their rights.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I don't really like gay, I don't agree with it I think its unnatural and wrong.
But people who want to be that way, or who are born that way, should be allowed to be and no one else should be able to tell them they cant get married or live how they want to live.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
In my opinion this was Keith's best spoken, most well thought out special comment yet. He held it together when you know he wanted to scream, but knew that would detract from his message.

First off there should be a compromise. instead of calling it marriage just call it a Union.

I mean it's not like they're trying to pass laws to force church's to Marry them. They're only being asked to marry in front of a judge. I mean that's all they are asking for, equal rights other committed couples get. Heck you get taxed more just for being single in this damned country. But I digress.

Not all Marriages start in a court room, but they always end there.
Just like many comedians have uttered before,
"They deserve a shot at being miserable too".

top topics

join