It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon board says cuts essential

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Pentagon board says cuts essential

www.boston.com

The briefings were prepared by the Defense Business Board, an internal management oversight body. It contends that the nation's recent financial crisis makes it imperative that the Pentagon and Congress slash some of the nation's most costly and troubled weapons to ensure they can finance the military's most pressing priorities.

Those include rebuilding ground forces battered by multiple tours to Iraq and Afghanistan and expanding the ranks to wage the war on terrorism.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Something I've believe for a very long time. Our defense budget, if you include homeland security, war on terrorism, and war in Iraq is well over 800 billion dollars. The biggest item on our Economy. I believe it's essential we cut back on our defense department, as well as "re-tool" agencies like the Social Security administration. All these things are half our budget alone!

www.boston.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
This is such an important and timely discussion that we could use several threads about it weighing both the military pros and cons and the political pros and cons as both are considerable.

Keep up the good work.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I personally think that if we really want to make America safer dismantle things like the dept of homeland security... after all everyone knows or should know the larger the beueroacracy (never can spell that word right) the more inefficent it is. The same is true with the national intlligence agency.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Definately, I know this really isn't the forum or website to discuss such things. But I think that maybe there shold be a topic on government and how they spend there money.

I've tried to bring it up in several other posts but people don't bite. I guess they don't care about the details when there money gets spent, only when the corporations are getting, what is essentially, welfare.
Next thin you know they're gonna get 100 billion to some oil companies.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I don't know if they still do but when I was in the Coast Guard back in the 70's every six months we would go out to sea and have a deep six party and throw new equipment overboard (I was on the USCGC WHEC 33 Duane... a 327 ft cutter). Why did we do that? So our budget would go up the next year... if we didn't spend what we were allocated then it wouldn't be increased. I remember throwing brand new IBM selectric typewriters overboard but god forbid should I have tried to keep one I would have been booked for stealing government property.

That is the kind of waste that could be eliminated to the benefit of the nation and the military.... its not all about weapons systems that don't work.

join