It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

job loss, census where you stand.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   

job loss, census where you stand.

i lost a good job and now i will be headed for the unemployment line.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
just another hard worker who lost there job because intel decided to cut us out so entegris had to move a bulk to malasia and china in january. im sure some will stay in the states , but the bulk overseas. not good for me. i guess my 18 weeks severence and then unemployment will have to do. my car is almost paid off. the bank will love to repo that. last year i purchased a trailer, now that wont last. the job market around here pays alot less than i make now. 20 an hour to unemployment. thanks guys.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-11-2008 by estrip]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I lost my job working for a small networking company, not due to my own fault. But because I was latest person hired and they had to cut back somehow because work had dried up, I still get called to do work for them 3-6 hours a month though. Luckily I got a job working for the local water district, unluckily I'm being paid less and am overqualified for the position.

I think that's a major problem as well, there are so many layoffs now a days you can't go back to making the money you used to because of so much competition.

Good thing I'm pretty frugal and will be driving my 94 LeBaron till I turn 25 and insurance will go down if I want a newer car. Another bad thing is I was hoping to move up the food chain cash wise, because I live in Palm Beach County Florida and the cheapest place you can rent would be half of what I make every month(before tax's).

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by estrip

Yup, Deisel prices and insurance costs got me and 5 others "Terminated" and I'm on the dole. No prospects either. Being 60 years old I'm fighting age discrimination also. Not sure what to do yet! Spending too much time here on ATS harrassin' folks!

Zindo

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Ive had to lay off all my employees but 4 now. I had 30 and it wasnt because they were bad workers. Its the hardest damn thing in the world to lay someone off who doesnt deserve it. If things dont get better fast we may not even survive ourselves...Ill be in the soup line right along with you guys

[edit on 10-11-2008 by mybigunit]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Big, the problem is, if you own the business, in most states your not allowed to get unemployment payments. Thats gonna screw you right to the wall buddy. I feel for you. I have been in a supervisory position that caused me to have to lay off folks. It ain't easy ever, especialy if you like the workers your forced to layoff!!

Zindo

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I too am part of the unemployed army. Our numbers are growing everday. 20,00 construction workers out of jobs last month in Cali alone.. at least thats what the news says, i personally think it's way more than that.

Worst part is actually waiting for the effing unemployment insurance. They say 10 business days, which is actually like 15 days. Sucks the big one my friends.

Aside from packing up and moving to an area that may have more work, it's a waiting game. Especially for guys in the trades.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Where i live the economy is still doing extrememly well. Our housing market is still booming and our job sector is still very strong. Though we do have one of the largest concentrations of high-tech research companies in the country based here along with 3 top notch research based universities less than 15 miles apart. I think this place is an anomoly because a lot of us around here are talking like we dont understand where this bad economic stuff is coming from. You'd never know it here.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I been out of work for about a month I've sent out about 30 resumes and only had 1 interview. Doesn't look good.

I'm making plans to get thru the first couple months of the year but If I cant find work after that I'm not sure what I'll do.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ATruGod

That's how it's been for me as well. I've sent out probably 20-30 resumes and filled out a bunch of on-line applications and questionnaires for various places. Only one interview. Perhaps we need to all move into princeofpeace's neighborhood.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
Big, the problem is, if you own the business, in most states your not allowed to get unemployment payments. Thats gonna screw you right to the wall buddy. I feel for you. I have been in a supervisory position that caused me to have to lay off folks. It ain't easy ever, especialy if you like the workers your forced to layoff!!

Zindo

I was being sarcastic when I said that Ill be in the un employment line
I guess I should of made that clear. Ill be in a line however. Maybe the soup line

[edit on 10-11-2008 by mybigunit]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I'm in the same boat. I lost cout of the number of resumes, on-line apps that I have done. I had 17 years in a field that isn't hurting, but nothing seems to be available. Hard to start over at 42 as well. Guess I'll just keep looking.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I lost my job in may of this year and then after a 3 1/2 month hiatus i began working two jobs. The market is still apparently strong in my area (Boca Raton, FL) but the resteraunts have been rumored to be less busy and i'm sure a ton will end up out of business before this reaches a bottom.

Prince of peace , what is your general location? It's intersting how some areas are doing well and others are not. I tulip forums have a nice piece which forecasts the unemployment trends going forward by business sector. the title of the article is ominously termed "recession or depression" it is from Eric Janzen.

I am keeping my eyes peeled to the amount of gov't contracts, grants , etck that are given to company's to implement some Green infrastructure (job opp's) i have had a fun 8 years in S. Fl but i think it's time for a move, and i'm not sure how long the Personal training market can hold up for (even here) . I'm thinking Boulder Co? or perhaps asheville, NC? something more rural, scenic, less materialistic, with hopefully some jobs available.

[edit on 10-11-2008 by cpdaman]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Early in '08 - advertising industry - upper management - private company based in the Southern US. Took a partial layoff from full time salaried to part time hourly as the company struggled to stay afloat. After three months, laid off completely. Said company was reduced down to a total of 4 full time employees including the owner.
I was fortunate in that I was able to move immediately full-time into what had been a part time/hobby gig as a baker
(that's what I really want to be when I grow up, but the money at the desk job was so much better)
with a privately owned restaurant in the Northeast US. Was eligible for partial unemployment due to income disparity.

Late Oct '08 - restaurant industry - baker - business has fallen off a cliff over three months, customers down 40%. Everyone's hours cut, including mine. No longer employed full time. Modify existing unemployment claim, qualify for extension.

Husband's hours cut from 70 to 40 at the same restaurant. He's an amazing chef so was almost immediately snapped up to part-time at another restaurant.

Thursday, last week, get a call from former boss at the office job. After losing many of their national clients (read: large accounts) in the last 9 months, owner made a last-ditch effort to save the company by completely changing strategies. Rather than seeking large accounts, owner contracted with an independent sales rep to try and woo many very small clients. Tactic succeeded. Company is no longer losing money. Profit is slowly starting to trickle in.
Owner offered me contract position covering some of my previous duties. She can no longer handle her job + my old job at the same time.
Gladly accept the offer.

Current status: husband is working 1 full time and 1 part time job. I'm working 1 part time job, 1 contract job, and utilizing unemployment benefits to supplement some of the income loss. Resumes out in incredible numbers for something, anything full time. It's rough, but we're managing for now.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
well i just got laid off today, and it couldn't have come at a more perfect time...

my wife's due with our first child any time now - she's already in labor, but her water just hasn't broken yet...

i even thought i was a good worker, and i put out the best quality in the department! obviously quantity is more important than quality to them because they can pass a sketchy product just the same as a high-quality product and still make the same money.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Just graduated college in May. Over 200 applications/resumes tendered, 12 cities, six states. My second interview is tomorrow. $20k in student loans begin repayment in December...cross your fingers for me if you guys would, please.

As far as this town goes..if Cap and Trade passes, Unemployment here will breach 20%.

Chicken plant = 3200 (workers and chicken farmers) people laid off.
Chemical plant = 600 people laid off
Local oil company will go under if Cap and Trade goes. 1200+ people

All in a city of 20k.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

If you're talking about Raleigh, NC you better watch out. That places is not immune from what's going on. All that cheap government spending fueling those 3 universities isn't going to last forever. Many of those companies are addicted to cheap government research grants as well. Good luck.

new topics

top topics

join