It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Now Know: We're Not From Here!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Rather interesting read for me this morning. It clicks when you think about it.

Imagine the shock of growing up in a loving family with people you call "Mum" and "Dad" and then, suddenly, learning that you are actually adopted! This same sense of shock came as scientists announced that the Sun, the Moon, our planet and its siblings, were not born into the familiar band of stars known as the Milky Way galaxy, but we actually belong to a strange formation with the unfamiliar name of the Sagittarius Dwarf galaxy!

Source

It certainly clears the question up for me as to why we see the Milky Way on its side.
But it also brings up more questions, such as the ones already asked on here.
For example the move through the plane and how it effects us etc.

Please discuss, or point me in the right direction if its already been discussed

[edit on 10/11/2008 by Kliskey]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Yes there was a few threads on this before a while ago. However I am not sure if a consensus was ever drawn as to whether we (our solar system) is, or is not, technically a member of the Sag Galaxy?...

[edit on 10-11-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I'll have to forward this to my brother in law. He believes the Sun is sloooowly sucking earth into itself, explaining global warming. And that we came from another planet a long time ago, explaining why some tribes in the past were so advanced when it came to math, science and understanding the solar system. He believes the Noah's Ark story is actually a story of us coming from another planet, but told in another way to conceal our true origin.

But who knows about all of that. I think he's nuts.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Milky way is a cannibal galaxy currently swallowing a dwarf galaxy known as saggitarius dwarf and it is on the other side of the milky way

Sagittarius dwarf is now being torn apart by immense tidal forces over hundreds of millions of years. Numerical simulations suggest that stars ripped out from the dwarf would be spread out in a long stellar stream along its path, which were subsequently detected.

And we are gobbling it and we floated to the current position to counteract the gravity of the milky way pulling us in.

en.wikipedia.org...

Hope the link will help.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Hmmm interesting, thanks for that link

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
bloody interesting read accompanied by a hot coffee, great way to start the day

thanks!

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Instead, as first suggested by researcher Matthew Perkins Erwin, the odd angle suggests that our Sun is influenced by some other system. Together with data from the Two-Micron All Sky Survey we now know what it is. We actually belong to the Sagittarius Dwarf galaxy.

Okay someboday please correct me if I'm wrong. I was under the assumption that people thought these strange angles were to do with a larger body in our solar system which we were not aware of (namely Nibiru). So does this prove the whole Nibiru theory wrong?

Or am I just off my rocker and talking cr@p

[edit on 10-11-2008 by farther84]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by farther84

Nah man, the Nibiru idea is way more sound.
Everyone knows the angles are caused by Nibiru, and it's twin sister Bulshatica.

[edit on 10-11-2008 by Dewm0nster]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Kliskey

Why would we expect any particular orientation just because a star system is born within our galaxy? Take a look at these protoplanetary discs in the orion nebula. Is there a common orientation? No.

imgsrc.hubblesite.org...

We know we're part of the milky way and not just passing through in an orbit the way the saggittarius dwarf is because of our motion relative to globular clusters in our galaxy. They act like bouys above and below the galactic plane. The saggittarius dwarf is still fairly cohesive and is 1/3rd the distance to the large magellanic cloud: about 53,000 light years.

apod.nasa.gov...

[edit on 10-11-2008 by ngchunter]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kliskey
Rather interesting read for me this morning. It clicks when you think about it.

Imagine the shock of growing up in a loving family with people you call "Mum" and "Dad" and then, suddenly, learning that you are actually adopted! This same sense of shock came as scientists announced that the Sun, the Moon, our planet and its siblings, were not born into the familiar band of stars known as the Milky Way galaxy, but we actually belong to a strange formation with the unfamiliar name of the Sagittarius Dwarf galaxy!

Source

It certainly clears the question up for me as to why we see the Milky Way on its side.
But it also brings up more questions, such as the ones already asked on here.
For example the move through the plane and how it effects us etc.

Please discuss, or point me in the right direction if its already been discussed

[edit on 10/11/2008 by Kliskey]

Yes -- this is certainly interesting in an esoteric scientific way...

However, I don't consider the rest of the Milky Way Galaxy to be "Mum and Dad", but rather like "other people who live across town". Our "Mum and Dad" are the Sun, Earth, and the rest of the solar system (plus most of our nearest galactic neighbors) who have been with us the whole time.

[edit on 11/10/2008 by Soylent Green Is People]

new topics

top topics

join