It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 Amazing Holes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   
7 Amazing Holes!

These holes are not only amazing, but some of them are really terrifying.
The sheer scale of these holes reminds you of just how tiny you are.

1. Kimberley Big Hole - South Africa

Apparently the largest ever hand-dug excavation in the world, this 1097 meter deep mine yielded
over 3 tons of diamonds before being closed in 1914.

2. Glory Hole - Monticello Dam, California

A glory hole is used when a dam is at full capacity and water needs to be drained from the reservoir

This is the ' Glory Hole' at Monticello dam, and it's the largest in the world of this type of spillway,
its size enabling it to consume 14,400 cubic feet of water every second.

3. Bingham Canyon Mine, Utah

This is supposedly the largest man-made excavation on earth. Extraction began in 1863 and still continues today,
the pit increasing in size constantly. In its current state the hole is miles deep and 2.5 miles wide.

4. Great Blue Hole , Belize

This incredible geographical phenomenon known as a blue hole is situated 60 miles off the mainland of Belize
There are numerous blue holes around the world, but none as stunning as this one.

5. Mirny Diamond Mine , Siberia

This one is an absolute beast and holds the title of largest open diamond mine in the world.
At 525 meters deep, with a top diameter of 1200 meters, there's even a no-fly zone above
the hole due to a few helicopters having been sucked in.

6. Diavik Mine , Canada

The mine is so huge and the area so remote that it has its own airport with a runway large enough
to accommodate a Boeing 737. It looks equally cool when the surrounding water is frozen.

7. Sinkhole in Guatemala

These photos are of a sinkhole that occurred early this year in Guatemala.
The hole swallowed a dozen homes and killed at least 3 people.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by imd12c4funn
2. Glory Hole - Monticello Dam, California

A glory hole is used when a dam is at full capacity and water needs to be drained from the reservoir

This is the ' Glory Hole' at Monticello dam, and it's the largest in the world of this type of spillway,
its size enabling it to consume 14,400 cubic feet of water every second.

I only have one real phobia and that is large dams and the associated depths of controlled water. I don't even like to be in the general vicinity. The above, therefore, scares the bejesus out of me. The stuff of nightmares!! (Mine anyway!)

Excellent pictures though, thanks for sharing.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Nicknamed “The Door to Hell”, this place is situated near the small town of Darvaz in Uzbekistan. Created by geologists digging for gas, they ignited the site so that no poisonous gas would come out, and the cavern has been burning continuously for the last 35 years.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by NeuronDivide

I would like to revise and say
8 amazing holes
Thanks for the input.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Man... if this wasn't ATS I wouldn't have clicked the link...

Bad jokes aside, the Blue Holes ahve always fascinated me, they look amazing.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I like the "hell holes" the best.

Cheers!!!

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

The internet has completely ruined me. I always thought a "glory hole" was something completely different.

Very nice post though.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by JesterMan

I wouldn't be caught dead near anything named a glory hole that is that large.

Thanks for posting those, there are some monsters I just don't want to see in this world and now I can avoid those locations.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Some of those seem out of place/order, but cool nonetheless.

The CA glory hole is a pretty famous spot for bike riders and skateboarders to take advantage of the smooth concrete transitions, and the adventure associated with actually finding the thing.

These are just a tiny example of that.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Your post perplexes me. It is very interesting, I must admit. However I suspect the reason as to why you are so fascinated with holes just might be more interesting. You have even narrowed your fetish down to a very specific type of hole, earth holes. Is this a fringe subject I am not familiar with? Oh please do elaborate!

~Hyp

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by NeuronDivide

Nice pics
Sounds like the mine fire they started under Centralia, Pa;
which is expected to go on burning for the next 200 years or so.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Man all this hole talk made me think the girlfriend was holding out! Very cool post though, I am always amazed by the beauty of our planet. These spots are so beautiful I want to book some flights!

new topics

top topics

join