It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can I add IR vision to my camcorder?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Hi I ordered a Panasonic SDR-H60 (www2.panasonic.com... 5702#tabsection ) from newegg.com and I was wondering if it's possible to add infrared vision to my camcorder, for I hear that UFO's invisible to the naked eye can sometimes be exposed by IR.

Is it as simple as connecting an IR filter (such as found here: www.maxmax.com... )? And if so. what size IR filter would I need for this camcorder?

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Hi Leto,

Perhaps you should've gotten a camcorder with already built in night-view feature instead and save yourself trouble?

Modifying a unit is not an easy task because they all differ in their construction. In general there is an IR filter placed before the CCD/CMOS imager that blocks all IR light. That filter (piece of glass with special coating) will have to be removed to enable IR rays to pass through.

Next, most likely that filter is also part of the optical connection system between the imager and the lens and determines the focal length. It must be replaced with a piece of quartz glass, identical in size and dimensions. If this is not done, your camera will never be able to focus again until you put the IR filter back or similarly crafted clear quartz glass piece.

There are different kinds of quartz glass, you will have to find one that best suits your application. In general you need optical quartz glass with specific spectral wavelength coverage allowing near-IR part of the spectrum to pass through.

Once the modifications are completed on the camcorder, you need to pick yourself up couple of external filters, namely the visible light filter and the IR filter. First one you will use for IR shoots and the second for all other (normal) ones where you want to block IR light.

Hope this helps...

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
There is a quick and simple test. Turn the video camera on, aim it at someone pointing a television remote control at the video camera while pressing one of the buttons on the remote. If the normally invisible infra red led can be seen blinking through the viewfinder of the video camera, then the camera is capable of imaging infra red light. Most of them can.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Set the camera for its highest gain. Then get an array of IR LED's and wala, you got a poor man's night vision camera.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Leto

If you want to add infrared vision to your camra, and IF you do know about electronics...you could buy some IV leds from radioshack...if from Australia? but them from dicksmiths (it is a electronic shop in Australia). You might need to place them on the outside part near the lens of the camra, hook them up to a powersource...and then it should work.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I think the original poster may have been thinking of passive infra red technology, they don't need external infra red illumination lamps, the latest military sensors used are sensitive enough to image the IR being emitted by the objects themselves. But these military based PIR (Passive Infra Red), cameras can be bought by civilians, the only problem is cost, they start in the tens of thousands of dollars. If you are wealthy and want the best system to image objects in the sky at night, these cannot be beat. They only see in infra red, bright blinding lights show up as tiny glare free points of black, so a typical night sighting of a blindingly bright UFO could almost certainly be seen clearly.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
If you had bought a sony camcorder with nightshot.. for filming in sunlight you can make a IR filter from
a floppy disc or processed film.. ive tried it with a floppy and it looks good.. but dont know how IR
it is though.. havent seen anything with it so far...

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Instead of buying one I think the best option is to just rent one

new topics

top topics

join